1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fake Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by lbear, Apr 5, 2021.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Fender has been doing necks that way since the 1970s; my '79 Lead II with rosewood board had the skunk stripe and the headstock plug like a 1-piece maple board neck along with the heel adjuster, and I've seen 70s Teles, Mustangs, etc. done the same way.

I believe @Boreas is correct that Fender went to that in the CBS era for manufacturing efficiency - this way all the truss rods on the most common models can be inserted the same way, and only those that need to be historically accurate will have the truss rod inserted under the fingerboard (with no skunk stripe or headstock plug).

SbS, Jakedog and Boreas like this.
  2. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

One of my favorite things about necks with separate fingerboards is that there's no need for a skunk stripe. I've had a few guitars with unstable skunk stripes; I hate the way that feels, and it can be the cause and/or symptom of nasty tuning problems. A single piece of wood on the back of the neck just feels really good.

3. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

The sticker on the neck with the bar code and number sequence looks just like the one on my Hwy One.
    Different numbers, but same layout and font.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They fit fine, Matt. Sometimes the mounting bracket comes too close to the edge of the headstock and sometimes that can hang up on an article of clothing, etc.

Yeah, early Highway headstocks have the spaghetti script and wire that's a little closer (medium) to the 6230 the Reissue is supposed to have.

BTW, when it comes to FSRs, this is where we see variances in the date stamps at FMIC between the neck and body. 2 years does happen, when on normal production guitars the delta is usually under 12 months. FSRs are legion for using up stashes of overstocks components - especially pickups.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    DanCooz and Matthias like this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

It’s a rare Martin electric solid body. Says so in the neck pocket. Simples.

aadvark likes this.
  6. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Not sure if serious, but there are a number of Martin electric models

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

There are, but I’m not!

Telecentric and aadvark like this.
  8. Petegn

Petegn TDPRI Member

Hi, I have one of these. Emails from fender match the specs and the model name. So I remember buying it from Rudy’s new. It was a run for a few stores. Fender said there is 150 of them made. I’ve seen one on Reverb ages ago for 1K. They never really come up. This nitro and really nice work on them. I’ve been back and forth on selling mine for something with a thicker neck but wouldn’t even know what to ask. Any advice?

9. Petegn

Petegn TDPRI Member

Here are the emails from Fender, the screenshot of the Reverb posting in the NE and a pic of mine

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.