Fake Tele Neck?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rock_Glenn, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

I bought an american standard tele neck 4 years ago, Serial # is N800113, puts it at around a 1998 American Tele.

Only the more I look at it something seems a bit off, the finish has cracked a bit but it's worst over the Fender logos on the headstock. There is no skunk stripe, a solid piece of maple for the neck. The fender logo looks a bit faded, but again it could be because of the finish fading/cracking there.

The big one for me is that the serial number is in the middle of the back of the headstock and not behind the high E and B string tuners like I've seen...

I was going to sell this on the ebays, but I'm nervous about selling a fake. The listing is here with pics:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253004842050?ul_noapp=true

2. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

I think you are right to be concerned as I don't think it's legit. The decals are all wrong, the wood itself looks more like beech rather than maple. The truss-rod hole has been painted black (this particular one would have left its factory unfinished or clear varnished), incorrect string tree.
    I think this neck originated in China but I'm no expert and this is only my opinion.

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I concur with 10 Thou. Decal, truss rod hole, string tree, and the heel looks not-Fender-y.

4. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

Good enough for me gentleman. Probably explains why I never bonded with that guitar. I'll take the listing down. Anyone in market for a fake tele neck?

Seriously though, I don't understand how people can be that dishonest and live with themselves.

5. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Googling 'Fender N800113" comes back with many depressing results, among them this:

"This serial number : N800113 is a fake that comes with a decal set from Centro (I think thats their name!) it may show when your on one of the Fender serial number / dating sites but it's a fake ...beware!"

6. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

Lesson learned, though I distinctly remember googling the serial # when I got the neck, it seems the internet took some time to catch on.

7. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

Sell it anyway. Adverise it as a fake with a strap line like, "As identified by TDPRI Forum aficionados". Could put the price up a bit! Or down...

8. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

I think I would keep it and build a beatercaster around it and ware that fret board out.

9. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

I decided to sell it labeled as a fake, it's more likely to get played by someone else. I have too many guitars anyway. They deserve to be played, cheap/fake or not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.