Fake Tele but ebay doesn't care

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by simoncroft, Aug 31, 2019.

1. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

It's a pity that blatant forgery abuse is tolerated. I'd hate to think how many folks get burned without any moral concerns by the creeps that produce these fakes. I know that the buyers who know that they are fakes are mostly responsible because of supply and demand but some kind of stamping ID on these guitars should be mandated. While I was looking at that fleabay listing I stumbled upon this relic tele that for the price looked enticing to me if not for the headstock fakery...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Styl...a=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

simoncroft likes this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I had sort of forgotten about Ebay for musical stuff...such a terrible user experience they provide. This one is kind of on the buyer in its way. I do have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell the bidders though! Great deals.

simoncroft and Matthias like this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I wouldn’t spend more than a relatively small amount on an eBay guitar, at least not without inspection.

On a related matter, I worry about Fender partscasters too. Within the right era, there are certain combinations of parts you could put together that would look completely factory, and more that would fool the untrained eye. And that’s with full photos of it disassembled! The 70s Fenders must be a minefield.

simoncroft likes this.
  4. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Oh dear Lord, it sold for £330! That's that's close to US $400. We'll never know what it is but we all know what it isn't. And that ain't worth even half.

EDIT: I see some of you had already noticed the auction had ended. There's better value to be had in Cash Converters in most town in this country.

Alamo likes this.
  5. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Nope, it's the old "I don't really know much about it..." scam line.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I seriously would not stoop over and pick that piece of shilt up out of the gutter. There truly is one born every minute.

simoncroft likes this.
  7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)... Don't expect the market to police itself when it continues to profit from such shenanigans and skulduggery ...

simoncroft likes this.
  8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Based on that write up, I'm thinking the buyer will realize it's not Fender; be inexperienced enough that they don't understand how this is different from any legit Strat copy; and can feel comfortable telling their friends it's real, at least that's what I wuz told...

And those 'bragging rights' somehow make it worthwhile.

simoncroft likes this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Just remember, when it comes to buying guitars anywhere, you usually get what you pay for. If someone is trying to pass off a custom shop or USA Fender or Gibson for under $500.00, you should know it's probably too good to be true. False or misleading advertising is everywhere from eBay to Craigslist. Listing an Epiphone as Gibson is the most prevalent.

Do your homework!!! Ask as many questions as you can and look for the obvious. The sad part about all this, is that you usually do better by being as honest as you can when selling a guitar. If its a partscaster, let the buyer know. If they are savvy about what parts are in it, they will either be interested or not. I have sold a few partscasters and got close or even more than I have invested in them. Let the guitars sell themselves.

simoncroft likes this.
  10. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I notice it's no longer possible to access that auction. Whether or not than means ebay stepped in at the last minute to prevent the transaction, I have no way of knowing. I only found out because I was going to alert Fender to the situation. Presumambly, they have a little more sway with ebay than me. :twisted:

RadioFM74 likes this.
  11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Hey , whadayaknow , someone was wrong on the internet !!
    Relax , buddy you cant save everyone out there
    Fake guitars are normal these days , so i shill bidders
    He might have bought it himself

12. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

13. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Sorry ,.I edited some spelling , wtf ??

14. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I reported it earlier today also. Usually I think ebay do not care about counterfeit claim reports because they will get commission on the sale but when a large number of people report the same article then maybe this is when they react.

Congratulations @simoncroft :)

simoncroft and howardlo like this.
  15. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

It stinks that Ebay choose to ignore reported items as fakes but put their trust in the seller and leave the auction running.

simoncroft likes this.
  16. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Have another beer, mate! :D

I'm not some kind of self-appointed 'Internet Police' and I don't spend my time looking for wrongly described items. But when I see someone stealing from other people, I will try to stop it. Why wouldn't I?

RadioFM74 and CFFF like this.
  17. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Or you can see it as someone trying to prevent another person from getting burned and a dishonest person making a dishonest dollar. It's all a matter of perspective. In today's corrupt as h*ll world, I'll take a little honesty, and someone looking out for others where ever it can be had.

simoncroft and CFFF like this.
  18. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

ebay do not want to lose commission on a sale but I think it can be difficult for ebay to assess counterfeit claims sometimes. Why should they remove a sale just because one person reported it. Who is this person. Is it someone with real expertise or another seller with similar articles. Or is it someone who is having fun.

What of the people that ebay employ to assess counterfeit reports. Do they have expertise in specific areas or do they need to make decisions on all products.

And how to explain this. Often I see sellers with photos showing trademark logos on headstocks and clearly saying in the description that it is not a genuine gibson or fender etc. We report them and nothing happens.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    simoncroft likes this.
  19. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I completely take your point, but when I worked in pro audio sales, Customs and Excise would phone me for a price on items they knew had fake receipts. Here in the online age, getting a concensus on an item takes almost no time.

Just to add insult to injury, ebay once pulled an auction of mine (with bidders on the item) for saying an instrument was like a Gibson! It was a Tokai. Believe me, it was very like a Gibson... Another time, they pulled an auction of mine because I said the buyer could pay cash, but didn't bother to add "on collection". What kind of idiot is going to post me cash? Couldn't they have just changed the offending wording?

It seems to be all or nothing with those guys. :(

CFFF likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.