Fake Strat?!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rokasjmusic, May 11, 2017.

1. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

Hello,

couple month ago I found an add about supposedly American Fender strat for sale. It is quite an interesting case. I have talked with the salesman on the phone but it seems he has no clue about guitars at all. All he could tell the guitar (you can see in the pictures) is an American strat and I should "come over to see if I like it" (although I am not motivated to take the trip if it is a fake). I saw his other posts. He was selling some other guitars and all of them were justifiable. Some of them were in pretty bad shape. However all of them had serial numbers except this one. Also most of other guitar were made in Mexico

My observations:
    It is claimed to be American guitar however asking price fits Mexican price range
    Fender Custom Shop G&G case (?!) which alone costs about 150 bucks
    Fender decal seems right size and placed correctly
    Biggest deal breaker - no serial number visible in front or back on the heastock. Neither near or on the neck plate
    Flat sawn neck? It is quite rare on newer guitars. Might be Chinese replacement neck?
    Truss rod not accessible on the heastrock (might be common for custom shop and reissue models?)
    Tuners look legit although they are not lined perfectly straight. Bent steel saddles also seem to be real

Maybe you notice something I missed? Is this a fake? Maybe a reissue? Or real body partcaster with Chinese neck? Any thought, guys?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

The pictures look right out of the Alibaba catalog.

3. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Well, unless there is a good and reasonable explanation provided, no serial alone always makes me think right off that something is dodgy.

Honest Charley likes this.
  4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

The truss rod plug/hole is painted on...[​IMG]

And the pickguard's all busted up

[​IMG]

5. bchaffin72

Looks like.

And I did a better job getting vintage tuners straight on a Squier neck never meant for them than those are on that one. Definitely crooked.

6. Loco

Loco Tele-Afflicted

Not sure why we're even discussing this piece of junk. The OP has already identified most of the danger signs for himself. Of course it's entirely possible to use Adobe Photoshop to remove the serial number in photographs, but there's no disguising the fact that that guitar has had a very hard (substitute the word 'abused') life: how on earth can a pickguard made out of modern plastics get in that state? Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole myself...

filtersweep likes this.
  7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Fake. Crappy sanding on the neck back where it meets the headstock.

8. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. Should be easy enough for most people to spot obvious misaligned tuners and recongnize that an instrument is not high end Fender.

To the op, I ask if you the seller of said instrument and trying to gauge how well your partscaster passes as real.

If not, my apologies.

Attached Files:

oldfish likes this.
  9. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

You can see the sticker/logo pretty clearly too.

BAD! BAAADAAA BOOM!

FirTrader likes this.
  10. bchaffin72

Because, just like the proverbial mountain, it's there.............:D

awasson and Loco like this.
  11. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

No, it is not mine. I checked sellers facebook profile. It seems he's a dj. Definitely does not play guitar. Although there was sudden burst of his posts in local musician group. He already sold precision bass, Gibson Es335 (with broken headstock), Squire Jaguar and still has mim strat, srf mim tele and mentioned strat for sale

I already had a chat with local guys. There was a lot of speculations. Although no one I talked to took the bullet to take the trip test it live. So I thought it would be fun to check what international community would think

Yes, it is a sticker. I noticed it. But some real Fenders still has decals on them

TMMC likes this.
  12. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

That's almost always the first sign of a knock-off or rebranding is all.

Asmith and awasson like this.
  13. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

And, honestly, it's still pretty. How it sounds and plays, are the real questions I'd be asking.

14. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

It is or has been made to look like a 57RI.

AVRI Stratocasters had serial numbers on the neck plate only.

The neck, from the photos, looks like an AVRI 57 neck but the crooked tuners are a red flag. Also a 57 RI will be in nitro but you can't tell that from photos. One of the ways of identifying a Fender AVRI neck is that the logo is applied on top of the finish so you can see the edges. The 57 neck is also heavily vintage tinted.

The pickguard is a single ply 57RI style guard. You can't tell from the photos if the pickups have staggered, beveled poles or what. The Fender name on the bent steels are not the correct orientation for a 57RI though.

To me, it is not obviously fake. It could be a 57 neck on a MIM 50s body.

Things like removing the neck and pickguard would reveal more clues.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  15. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I think it's fair to say that we've all seen our fair share of fakes on this forum and I think this is one of the better ones by a mile. I was sure that some reissue models came with the decal applied like it was back in the day as @bluenote23 mentioned. To be honest the tuners out there, some american models get out with some crooked tuners it's rare but it happens. Here's a couple AVRI 57s, first set of pics show a similar tuner issue.

[​IMG]
    below the bottom tuner is squewed anticlockwise
    [​IMG]

Also in the OP's 3rd pic the radius does look small like a 7.25" so the neck could be legit, the only way to get more info would be to have the buyer pop it off so we could look at some dates/stamps/etc but I doubt the DJ seller would go to the trouble.

From the pictures the pickups look like a 50s stagered with heavy bevel on the pole pieces much like these 57 pickups fender sells so they check out.
    [​IMG]

The bridge looks fine, stamped fender on each side in the correct orientation from what I could find online.

To be honest the only issue I can find with this guitar is the serial numer, but the neck plate isn't even properly visable in the picture, it's bleached out by the sun.

Ask the seller if there is a serial number on that neck plate! If it has one I'm calling it legit.

Also regarding the cracked up pickguard my guess based on the location of all the missing bits and cracks is that some nut decided to tighten all the scews up and in result split and cracked it. If you look closely you can see that the pickguard is under a lot of pressure from the screws by looking at how the light is reflecting around any of them. In fact it might be possible the tuners are wonky because the same nut that tampered with all the pickguard screws did the same to the tuner screws? :confused:

middy and TMMC like this.
  16. bchaffin72

If there's a good explanation for the crooked tuners(IE it DOES sometimes happen),then knowing if there's a serial number would help clear up a lot.

17. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

As Asmith said in his post, the bent steel saddles look okay. I thought that the Fender stamp was written in the same direction on both sides of the saddle but on closer inspection, I see that they are properly facing each other.

Another point is the 57 AVRIs shipped with a 3 position switch. So if this has a 3 position, instead of a 5, then that would be another positive sign.

An AVRI 57 neck has a soft V profile if that is helpful. You need to play it to know.

On an AVRI 57 the serial number is only on the neckplate and the paper check tag. If those are gone, then there is no way to know the serial number.

For $300 this is definitely worth checking out. For $500 it still might be worth it. More than that, if you're lucky it might be a great guitar but if you're not lucky, it might be a big waste of time (you may have to increase these values depending on your local market. These would apply in the USA).

awasson likes this.
  18. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Just looked at my new '56 RI. Yeah serial only on the plate not headstock.BTW theres 56 and 57 ?

19. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Yeah not sure if the 57 is still available from fender couldn't find it on there site just the 56

20. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

If I was local I'd denfintely check it out, all that's missing from this nice picture is the serial number and a little more knowledge as you mentioned (switch and neck profile) which can easily looked at in person.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.