Fake or not?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RDW1988, Jul 13, 2014.

1. RDW1988

RDW1988 NEW MEMBER!

Hi guys,

New around here but have been browsing the forum for a while.
    I'm looking for a good Telecaster to accompany my Strat and Les Paul.

I came across this Telecaster: http://link.marktplaats.nl/819804608

It's in Dutch, but the seller is writing that it's an Fender American Deluxe Telecaster. He changed the neck for an allparts one piece maple neck.
    The guitar has the S1 switch system according to the seller.

The thing that got my alarm bells ringing was the finish of the guitar as well as the bridge. Offcourse the bridge could have been changed, just as the neck, but I've never seen an American Deluxe with a flamed maple top and a perloid pickguard. The body is made out of swamp ash according to the seller.

I'm going to see and try the guitar this wednesday but I'm curious if you guys could tell me if this is an finish used by Fender or that it's probably a fake?

Thanks a lot :)

2. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

Looking at the back of the guitar, I personally have never seen an American Fender so obviously mismatched like that.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What does he say, or could he say to explain what's going on with the bridge?

Treat this as a cobbled together mess, since that's what it looks like. Whatever Fender official parts it may have, is more by accident than anything else.

4. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

I don't know if it is the angle of the camera but the 6th string looks like it is ready to fall off the edge of the fretboard. Do those bridge saddles look right to you, and the way the strings go over them? I am not accustomed to seeing strings going right over the screws???

5. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A quick visit to MusiciansFriend.com will shed some light on this for you. (1) That is definitely NOT the correct, original bridge. (2) The body has no top binding. (3) MF's examples have alder bodies, no flamed tops, and the only ash body model available is in a natural finish.
    I would say you are correct in being cautious of this seller, and his guitar.

6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Hmmm....red flag here for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.