Fake fingernails

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonedreamer, Dec 20, 2016.

1. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

Does anyone know if they make press on/glue on nails out of ultex for the tone conscious hybrid picker such as myself. The ones I sometimes use have a dull plastic sound I don't care for. Thanks.

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I do them myself with a dremel tool and acrylic powder and chemical bonder and primer, or get them done at a nail salon

About $3 per nail, get them filled every couple weeks

McGlamRock and tonedreamer like this.
  3. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Not sure if this is the material your referring to, but here's a quote from Ani DiFranco about her fake nail usage:

Has your hardcore fake nail setup changed at all over the years?
    No. For a bunch of years now, I’ve been doing the same thing, which is using really thick fake nails. There’s one brand called Nailene that’s ridiculously thick—so thick that I don’t see how any woman would use them as fashion nails. They’re twice or three times the thickness of a regular human nail, so they’re just these wedges of plastic that you super-glue on. I also use electrical tape down to my second knuckle to give added reinforcement to the nail. If it pops off, live, at least it won’t go flying and I can glue it real quick between songs—we have this super-fast-setting super glue—and the tape also protects my skin.

What kind of glue do you use?
    It varies. I’ll use the Nailene glue or just straight-up super glue or whatever’s available.

Full link, for reference:
    http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Ani_DiFranco_History_on_Her_Side?page=2

tonedreamer and BorderRadio like this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was gonna mention Ani...

tele-rain and tonedreamer like this.
  5. 1955

The prob with glue ons and duct tape is that you can rip your real nail off the nail bed

Suuuuuuucks!

6. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Fake nails ruin and soften your nails over years. I quit using them years ago. If my nails are broken I use finger picks.

Cam and McGlamRock like this.
  7. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Same here. I started rubbing on nail strengthener and filing and buffing my nails everyday. My nails are still pretty thin, but they're strong. Haven't broken one at a gig or rehearsal in a quite a while.

edit: To the OP, all my classical guitar enthusiast friends swear by those acrylic nails. I would do that if you'd rather not use your actual finger nails. They're really strong!

tonedreamer likes this.
  8. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

I get mine done - but just on the right hand, of course. TONS of amazing guitar players use acrylic nails (my Big John included if you've ever watched any of the videos of he and David Hartley.....acrylic nails!).

I'd suggest it with all of my might to anyone that relies on those nails to hybrid pick. I'm absolutely lost without mine...it's downright embarrassing.

1955 likes this.
  9. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

That would probably work, acrylic should be pretty strong. I pick off my fingernails but if one breaks I have those cheap press on nails but they're thin and sound terrible

10. benteleman

benteleman TDPRI Member

I use super glue and baking soda. Works great just make sure to prep with acetone

11. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

I used to have to constantly remove fake nails for work. I could only use them off duty. Between the glue and the acetone after years it did damage. My nails are a lot healthier without them. I use steel fingerpicks when playing electric and acoustic and my own fingernails on classical if I don;t have a broken nail. If so I use a plastic fingerpick.

12. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I had a guitar teacher when I was in high school who used to glue a piece of a ping-pong ball to his thumb nail.

13. 1955

Every now & then I get a fungus and I brush on this stuff for a week every night (or one rips off,) otherwise I've had them on for 10 years straight.

When I've taken them off, usually for only a few days because of upcoming gigs - only done that a maybe only a handful of times in all those years, my nails got strong again in a matter of days.

What can damage them is if they sand the actual nailbed too much when they are soft. That takes a a couple weeks to heal and sucks!

14. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

I just grow my middle and ring finger nail out. All the rest if my nails are really short.

I can't use finger picks or fake nails. It's just doesn't work for me.

jimash and tonedreamer like this.
  15. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I just use my regular nails. I don't grow them particularly long, just enough to work. If I want more volume and projection, I use a celluloid thumb pick with metal finger picks. I don't think that I'd like to have things glued to my fingers. It would probably feel funny.

16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

What stuff do you brush on for nail fungus?

17. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Tried Alaska Piks? They're a slip on acrylic fingerpick.

18. 1955

It's this anti fungal stuff in a little bottle you get for 10$ at the nail salon

19. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

I played with a bassist for several years who used acrylic on his nails to find some middle ground between pick and finger tone.

He learned how to do it himself and would freshen them up every week and a half...They were godawful thick.

20. flatsrat

flatsrat TDPRI Member

Google 'riconails' they're supposed to be the bomb. they have a video

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.