1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fake famous people quote memes.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Oct 15, 2020.

1. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

A couple of days to drive yourself nuts?

Sounds about right.

So let me get this straight...
    you dont have the means to create a meme with meaning?

2. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

ut5vFG9.jpg

SuprHtr, mgreene and John Backlund like this.
  3. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

This thread has been fun, kinda like building a little balsa airplane, winding it up, tossing it into the wind, then sit back and watch that bugger go.

Six pages!

:)

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't be mean Markie!

6. telemnemonics

NOW you bring up tonewood???

SuprHtr and thesamhill like this.
  7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Nice. But, the problem you have with that definition is, these days, even that would oft be considered by many as being too long to read.

I like the bumper sticker comparison.

Pax/
    Dean

telemnemonics and boneyguy like this.
  8. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

I took your ‘virtual’ to mean something like a quality considered useful or good.

Or, something to do with celestial hierarchy...

Pax/
    Dean

9. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a bit of a outsider on FB in discussions because I tend to write in complete thoughts using sentences and even paragraphs!! I think people consider me to be somewhat of a pest as result and I'm guessing that's undoubtedly the case here on this forum too. People have been trained to think and write in a soundbite style and I just can't get myself to do that when the discussion is about something interesting and important. Fortunately there's a few guys around here who don't mind stringing a couple sentences together so I don't feel quite so out of place as I do on FB.

10. TokyoPortrait

Heretic!

But, yeah, I favour the full sentence too, properly corralled.

I have a farce book account, but I don’t really actively use it. My Instagram account auto cross posts to it, so family and friends without Instagram can check out the stuff I’m sharing. Despite repeatedly explaining I only use farcical book to share stuff with them since they don’t have Instagram and reminders to engage with me by email if they want to communicate, I’m often scolded for not responding to them on fanatical book.

Pax/
    Dean

boneyguy likes this.
  11. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah this is irritating. The one about ben franklin supposedly saying beer is a sign god loves us and wants us to be happy? No. Just, no.

People just assign random famous people to quotes to lend them some special authority. Since I'm a historian for a living I have a professional tendency to be irritated by this, but life is full of irritations

telemnemonics and boneyguy like this.
  12. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

To answer your question: what.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hah!

I'm such an annoying contrarian that when I write a number larger than 1,000 numerically, I will use a comma (as I just did). Almost nobody does this anymore, which is why I do. It's not 2500, it's 2,500 dammit!

Sometimes I will write the number out rather than use numbers at all, as in 'twenty-five hundred' even hyphenating it. I do this.....just because.

I will usually put the period after each letter when I spell U.S.A., rather than just US, or USA.

I'm a tragically lazy person, but get a bit weird about some archaic little details sometimes.

TokyoPortrait, boneyguy and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. boneyguy

I'm inclined to do the same as you John.... :)

15. boneyguy

Who said that? I've heard that before but can't remember who said it....

16. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This has been a thoroughly enjoyable thread. This is why I come here.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

I learned the English language early from my Mother who was an artist, journalist and writer.
    She really drove home the ideas of words having value, and also of succinct use of words being essential in many situations.
    She nailed the TLDR thing by 1964.

Yet I am not like her and have little mastery of brevity.
    (Music and words are hardly different)
    The goal in ongoing though.

Part of my nature is to use words to incite curiosity based thought, so presenting clear accurate data is often not my goal.
    Better tools are for me, metaphor and irony.
    Yet when I read books they are invariably historic or sci/ tech data, never prose.

I view many memes as irony based rather than intended to deliver accurate info.
    My intention would be for the viewer to first deny the message, but then think about the juxtaposition of possibly legit info and an entirely ridiculous source. Have to consider that many just don't get it,instead reading as literal.

In the '80s I worked in a boat shop where everybody had a chainsaw and a thick Maine accent.
    At lunch if I said something serious, (more often than not) the whole table laughed, and if I told a joke, they all stared at me quizzically. (I also involuntarily evoked a Maine accent at work then a less drawly vocal at home)

So I and we need to remember that not all brains process stuff the same way.
    I was taught that young but continue to struggle with it.

I do some 12 step program volunteer service work and chair committees at times.
    There super accurate info is the only right answer.
    We are saddled with a life and death program that has no primary authority and is for many the last stop before a toe tag.
    Giving a monthly report, the challenge to provide a goldilocks amount of info forever escapes me.
    I've had this brought up by individuals who want to go home ASAP, and even had members argue over whether my reports are too long or are the right amount of info. Consider that organizing our kind amounts to herding cats.

As much as our individual responsibility to speak honestly accurately and compassionately is a constant, the rest of the world is a variable!

18. telemnemonics

IIRC that might have been Max Vintage?

But it was Telemnemonics that said: "I have a tendency to be irritated by the reshaped '73 tele body".

boneyguy likes this.
  19. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

upload_2020-10-19_14-51-47.jpeg

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My grandfather would point suddenly and say "Look at the Monkey" and playfully steal a piece of steak off my plate. While I looked for the monkey.

Memes are fun but people take them in as a substitute for reading dry books and going to seminars about complex subjects or areas of study. They're like Pavlov's Dog, salivating at the sound of the Facebook bell, when there's no nutrition there or worse, there's diametric misinformation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.