1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fake 78 Telecaster???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by diego_doit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. diego_doit

diego_doit TDPRI Member

Hello new to the forum and no expert on old guitars...I'd like some advice on a Telecaster I picked up recently. Looks like someone has tried to strip the original body's finish off but got halfway through. The neck seems really weird for a 40 year old guitar I've never seen this glossy grainy burnt maple neck on a Tele. I'd like to flip it but am worried about passing on a fake guitar if the experts on here could clear it up would be great. Here's the photos..

. PA230369.JPG PA230367.JPG PA230368.JPG

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

no photos of front of headstock?

oldfish likes this.
  3. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

headstock front and butt of neck

4. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

The photos requested above will be helpful. From what I've seen so far it looks 100% Fender but I'll wait for the additional data.

I know a guy who bought a 1979 Stratocaster brand new in natural finish and the finish had the exact same thing happen to it with the fogging over as has happened to yours.

Nice birds eye on the neck as well.

5. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

Agree with knavel......100% Fender.....[but have not seen that 1 to 7 white paper page]...

Looks like a QA stamp in the 1 to 3 lines?

Is it a good player?

Derek

6. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Do people fake '78 Fenders nowadays??
    Geez, I'm outta the loop.

Tommy Biggs and EllroyJames like this.
  7. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

70's Fenders start fetching more than 2,500 Euros in Europe now. I remember them hardly passing the 1,000 Euros level maybe 15 years ago. It all got so crazy that even I bought one recently :eek: A Tele Deluxe with WRHBs - this counts as "vintage" in my mind, because they did not exist before :p

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Exactly.
    We NEED them in order to five you a foolproof answer.
    Still faking a 70s Fender is EXTREMELY hard.
    From the limited pics you posted it looks legit.

Piotr likes this.
  9. diego_doit

diego_doit TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies...sorry thought I put the headstock photos up - plays average lots of buzzing - weird high pitched ring on the high e - took it to a couple of guitar shops and they weren't sure if it was genuine and neither one could set it up for me with a low enough action to what I'd normally comfortably play. The advice was "it's really weird" then "it's a fake" then "it's real but bizarre" so started to think I'd better get rid - any advice on getting the laquer off??

PA230359.JPG PA230375.JPG

10. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Older poly finishes can fog up up like that. I frequently browse Reverb looking for vintage Ibanez's and have seen several 70's era Japanese guitars that have that happen. Can't remember what causes it off hand.

11. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried it with new strings?

12. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Looks legit. Poly finishes can cloud for a number of reasons. Contaminated catalyst issues can, and do, show up years later. Humidity, the wood 'breathing' due to incorrect/incomplete drying and core moisture coming out. There is a term for that, but I can't remember what it is. Plain degradation over time and UV can be a cause too.

The neck looks legit. Fakers faking a heel adjust, using walnut plugs and using maple like that?. Unlikely.

As to the zinging, that nut looks like the work of someone not used to nut work. Does the zing go away if you play an open e and then press down on the string behind the nut? It may be the photo, but is that neck slightly twisted?, all bets are off if it is. Not the end of the world, with a little careful work.

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's 100% legit

Btw you need a new nut (let a pro cut one for you) the one on the guitar is seriously messed up.

14. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

No red flags that I can see - looks good

15. diego_doit

diego_doit TDPRI Member

Yes tried new strings different gauges no joy - here you are VintageSg
    PA230377.JPG PA230384.JPG PA230376.JPG

16. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Yeah, that nut is horrible. You can do the old timer trick of putting some paper in the slots to raise the strings up some, to see if the noise goes away. There is also a more permanent fix using baking soda and ca (superglue) that works great, but isn't for the inexperienced. Strange that the techs didn't point that out immediately. Find someone who knows what they are doing. I wouldn't take it back to the techs that couldn't see the nut problems, especially to cut a new one.

Typically you want the string about 50% in the slot, a little more on the skinny strings, and certainly not nearly cut thru the nut. there are specifications for nut slot height relative to the fretboard, so once the slots are the right depth there may need to be material removed from the bottom of the nut to get it all sorted.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 3.30.28 PM.png

compared to

IMG_1016.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  17. diego_doit

diego_doit TDPRI Member

ok thanks yeah wasn't too impressed by the guitar techs either charged sixty euros for essentially a new set of strings!!!! will try and find someone who knows their onions - does the neck look ok??

18. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

It can be difficult to see a twist in a neck from pictures unless the angle is perfect. Use your eye and look down the fretboard with the tops of the frets lined up, basically looking and comparing the first and last fret to see if they seem to be on the same plane. You'll know if it's twisted. You might want to post another thread looking for recommendations for guitar techs in your part of France. If you find a good one, he'll let you know whats up.

Good luck.

19. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

You know, that's just too much work for an old uncorrectable guitar..... Just send it to me, I'll dispose of it properly....

20. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Real, definitely. Has it been refinned? The horn contour looks a little off and I would suspect it’s a natural that someone’s sanded and then a natural refin’s gone on unevenly due to bad prep.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.