Fair thee well, Dobie.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Dudes you got it all wrong. It was Thelma Meninger who stole the show. I had many "dreams"
about her growing up.

Yeah, Thalia Meninger played by Tuesday Weld!

71SO3dzFyUL._SL1500_.jpg

On the reunion show they couldn't get Weld and the part was played by, I think, Stella Stephens, it just wasn't right.

Jay Jernigan

Tele-Afflicted
Tuesday Weld was the glamour, but Zelda Gilroy was the heart and soul of the show; cute as a button and smart as a whip, too. Dobie was the main man, Joe average with high aspirations, never gave up, always wiser by the end of an episode. Thanks Dwayne.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I was too young to remember that show except in reruns. The only reason I ever watched it was because Gilligan was on there. Maynard's bits were the only ones I paid any attention to or recall at all. The rest of it was just beyond me at that point. If you asked me, I would have told you the show was about Maynard G.

But, it was the only thing in that afternoon rerun timeslot that was even marginally acceptable to me as a kid. So, I watched it.

RIP,

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire
I watched Dobie semi-regularly. Many people don't remember Tuesday Weld on it, and even fewer remember Warren Beatty, as a snobby "frat-boy" character.

IIRC, Warren Beatty was only in the first season, as Milton Armitage. When he left, Steve Franken took over as Chatsworth Osborne Jr. -- same type of character, different name -- but Doris Packer played the mother of both characters. She was hilarious.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
Everyone is overlooking Frank Faylen and Florida Friebus as Dobie and Davey's parents. Davey was played by Dwayne's brother Darryl. Also in the cast was Doris Packer, who was Mrs. Rayburn, the principal of Mayfield Grammar School in Leave it to Beaver

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire
Everyone is overlooking Frank Faylen and Florida Friebus as Dobie and Davey's parents. Davey was played by Dwayne's brother Darryl. Also in the cast was Doris Packer, who was Mrs. Rayburn, the principal of Mayfield Grammar School in Leave it to Beaver

I'm not overlooking them. They were great, especially Frank Faylen. As Sheila said on Twitter, Dwayne played the straight man and let everybody else have the laughs.

Florida Friebus was also great as Mrs. Bakerman on Bob Newhart.

I mentioned Doris Packer in the post above yours. She almost always played a certain type, a lot like Margaret Dumont in the Marx Brothers movies. She also played Mrs. Wiley in the famous My Fair Ernest T. Bass episode on Andy Griffith.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, it would stand the test of time. Compared to most of the comedies today, it's would be too cerebral for the low brow audiences.
Having not seen Dobie Gillis in forever I’d like to see a few shows to see if holds up. Comparing the two is like apples and bowling balls.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
RIP Dwayne. Yes Dobie was a bit cerebral for the American public. Politics? You kidden, CBS knew what they were doing. Righteousness, what we have less of today. That show gave kids street smarts. Dobies parents scenes were a show within itself. Then there was Maynard.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I was in love with Zelda, as much as an 8 year old could be. Gilda Radner reminded me of Zelda.

If you go back a few more years, Sheila James played the younger daughter on the Stu Erwin show. I was only 5 when that went off the air and I still remember it clearly.