fading nitro with UV

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Dimitree, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Dimitree

Dimitree TDPRI Member

so I got a Jazz Bass body that I finished time ago with nitro Fiesta Red (no clear coat).
    Then I saw this guitar:

[​IMG]

and I fall in love with this faded fiesta red, so now I want this finish.

If I understand well, when aging, clear coat would get the color more yellow, while this guitar turned towards pink, so I'd say there is no clear coat on this guitar and the fading is actually in the color coat. Am I right?

Indeed I tried to spray some clear amber on my fiesta red, and the result is completely different.

I guess I have two options:
    1) fading the color coat with UV lamp (I have some)
    2) cover the body with more coats using a mix of fiesta red and (maybe) olympic white.

what do you suggest?
    I have a cheap air compressor so I don't know if it is good enough to finish a body. I used aerosol cans to finish the body in the first place.
    If you suggest UV lamp, how much time would it get, more or less?

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I think a lot of it was the way old NGR alcohol soluble stains fade differently than modern dyes. Dan Earlewine has a recipe for Fiesta Red (its got a drop of yellow in it)

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Often Fender put out Custom solid colours in the 60s with no clear coat. The 62 Strat below is Olympic White, which is acrylic and therefore barely darkened. It has no topcoat and Fender was known to out guitars out like that pre-CBS

The pigment falls out of most red, and some blue and purple. Hank Marvin's salmon pink Strat was probably Fiesta, which is orangey-pink to start with.

That offset guitar above is close to Fiesta Red when it's new. People think it's a blood red but it's not.

str62wsc.jpg

4. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Remove the neck, all electronics, hardware, etc and put it out in the sun to “bake” for a few weeks. Rotate regularly. I did this with an Olympic white strat and it yellowed moderately but beautifully (I took it in at night to avoid dew and moisture). I left the pickguard in place so I could check progress. Now that said I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where it rarely gets over 80°F and I did it in the spring when the sun was not too harsh. I’m not sure I’d do it under a baking 90-100° summer sun as it might warp(?).

Or refinish in the same paint but add some white to the paint mix to get the color you’re after.

5. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

See we've got some love for shell pink here.

6. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

I have a iced t lp that I often put in the sun to 'tan'...(fade)

I have a piece of cardboard that covers the entire rosewood on the neck

It does work. When I pull the poker chip off I can see how much darker it was...

I have left it out in the yard, as well as in the window sunlight.

Now somebody will post that the 'new' nitro doesn't fade... But it does.

7. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

The guitar in the picture has a white primer fiesta red looks a lot different with a white primer
    i have done a couple of fiesta red finishes with and without a primer the one without looked a lot darker maybe it is just a trick of the light

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.