1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fading darker under pickguard?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by loopfinding, Oct 20, 2020.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

hey all,

my tele is done up in a 60s blonde poly finish, a little more transparent than the 60s blondes (i guess about the same as the background of tdpri). when i got the guitar, i replaced the pickguard (guessing it was an "aged" or mint one that had further yellowed too much with age) and the stainless bridge to the stamped steel plate. underneath both the pickguard and bridge the guitar has faded to a yellow darker than the rest of finish, instead of the other way around, where the unexposed areas are lighter.

any idea what would cause this? just curious.

Boreas likes this.
  2. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Don't know but my Esquire faded the same way.

3. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

"Fading" in a normal sense is loss of color, so in one sense, where exposed to light the body or finish has lightened and could be considered normal. Leave a book sit on a wooden table near a window and the wood fades around it.

I suspect what is happening on your rig is that the wood is fading more than yellowing. Much of what we call fading or yellowing on an old guitar is yellowing of the finish, not the wood. If it was sprayed with a UV stable finish, it may never "age" as you expect.

EsquireBoy and loopfinding like this.
  4. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

yeah, i was thinking it's maybe that, i have a nylon that is finished in poly that sat in a window for years and the headstock faded. on the other hand, the areas under the hardware that are darker yellow are almost greenish-yellow, so i think something weird might also be going on there.

5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

You expected it to be lighter under the pickguard and bridge from fading?

StrangerNY likes this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

i expected interior areas to be "original color" and the exterior areas to be yellowed by UV, but i have the interior areas this darker yellow that's a little off to look stock.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

like so. Looking at the end grain areas on the bottom I guess it’s close to this color there, but not quite as dark.

Attached Files:

8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Basically, the part under the guard hasn’t faded. The exposed finish has.

Crobbins, Boreas and StrangerNY like this.
  9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Hm.

If it's darker, it didn't fade. It got darker.

And it shouldn't have. The exposed parts should have faded.

But in your last line, you say the unexposed areas are lighter. How can they be lighter if they're darker?

=O.

10. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

To OP:

Keep in mind, every finish, tint, color, and combination thereof react differently to light. Look at vintage fenders, such as the red and see what they have done over time! Even National Steels change over time! Embrace entropy!! Otherwise, do not remove from case and NEVER - EVER play!

11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Have you ever left a white woolen sweater in the dark for a couple of years? It often turns yellow.

More probably, as already said, you’ve got the original unfaded color under the pickguard.
    But maybe it’s like my nice sweater and it’s the other way around?

12. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

yes, sorry for the confusion, haha. fade as in transition, e.g. “Fade to black,” not fade as in desaturate.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  13. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

yeah no big deal. Generally as long as the finish isn’t peeling off the guitar in sheets, I don’t really care. This one came from the swamp, so there was a bit of rust and patina when I got it. My other poly fenders are about 20 years old and are all lighter under the guard. So just curious as I haven’t encountered this before.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  14. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I dunno...I have an '07 Epi LP poly over honeyburst, it has lived on a stand, no direct sunlight, for all of it's life....it is gradually getting darker, which I like, was a lil too yellow in the middle when new. My acoustic, which the pickguard eventually came off of, is lighter where the pickguard used to be, I call it a ghostguard... finishes changing color is of no matter to me, really

15. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

16. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

17. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My '50s Classic that my brother gave me several years ago did that. The pickguard also darkened. As my brother never liked the guitar it spent most of its life in a cheap Fender gigbag. When I got it I put it in a hard case, but the color change had already happened by then. I'm thinking the foam or something in the gigbag was off-gassing in some way that affected the pickguard and whatever it was touching though I have no proof of that.

18. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Seems there'd be several reasons for paints and finishes to be evolving, or devolving, through the years.

19. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry TDPRI Member

Seems normal to me, the bit outside of the pickguard looks faded, bit underneath is normal like new. Kinda cool.

20. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

My '87 MIJ Strat started out Daphne Blue (just like the first pic) and now looks surf green (the second one). It has been case-kept the whole time, so the yellowing must be more chemical than UV exposure. Funny thing is the clear coat has yellowed everywhere pretty much the same (even under the pickguard). The only place the original color is visible is in the neck pocket where there was no clear coat- in there it is still daphne blue.

daphne blue strat.png my strat 2.jpg

loopfinding likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.