1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Factory stickers. Here's why.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by G.Rotten, May 14, 2019.

1. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Well......I didn't specifically get it for $200 less than average because of the pickguard. I also didn't use the Pickguard to barter a better deal.

However, the seller listed it as a Mexican Strat at a price that would be on the lower side for an MIM Standard (well below average market price for this Custom Shop Greg Fessler designed model) & even though I didn't rush into buying it, it was still available once I decided to pull the trigger. For the amount of time I took deciding, it should have been gone.

Those who took it for no better than an MIM Standard likely passed it by because the Pickguard was unappealing & represented possible work.

So, for the price of a cheap well used MIM Standard I have a CS Designed "Mexican model" with factory US bridge & US Custom 69 pickups (Some speculate it's a US body as well because of the tooling holes). The PG I'm putting on was $14 off Amazon including matching back plate.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    t guitar floyd likes this.
  2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I always clear off any stickers, but I gotta say, I would leave that pickguard on. I think it looks cool, gives the guitar some character. Nice axe, BTW.

3. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. I may leave it on. It depends on whether or not I actually bond with this guitar. I was curious about the 12 inch radius & whether or not I would like it better than my 60's reissue with the 7.25.

What I might do is swap the Pickguard out & leave the old one in a sunny place (somewhat protecting the already tanned area). I like the sun tanned look. The new guard is a cream 3 ply & not too far off of the current one.

Blue Bill likes this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

NOS

New Old Sticker

Kreepy and G.Rotten like this.
  5. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister

My favorite stickers are the image of a trash bin with a “NO” circle around it. I usually find them on the back of headstock on Asian guitars . Is it a factory QC mark? If so I’d love to see the axes that don’t clear the bar of Garbage/ Not Garbage...

Piggy Stu likes this.
  6. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

The EU and some other countries require that things containing recyclable electronics be marked with a "don't throw it out" symbol.

magic smoke likes this.
  7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I have one of these things on the back of a used epi I bought. I think it has been superglued on. Tactical nuclear strike couldn't remove it

I would actually leave the pickguard on the OP, as a kind of amusing relic effect. It reminds me of a roast chicken I saw that had a tin foil bikini on it during roasting. I might try to find the jpeg

G.Rotten likes this.
  8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

You were warned

bikiniturkey.jpg

G.Rotten likes this.
  9. hudpucker

hudpucker Tele-Meister

10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I wonder what material (specifically) this pickguard is made from. I have a Fender 3 ply mint green Pickguard that is definitely older than this one & it hasn't aged nearly as much. Being as this guitar was "Custom Shop Designed" they likely chose the material based on its aging properties.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.