Votes: 18 6.1%
  • Clean shaven

Votes: 75 25.4%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 28 9.5%

• Total voters

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I'm too handsome to hide behind facial hair.

I was thinking that was why various women told me they didn't like the way I looked when I grew a beard for Movember 2016.

But then I remembered that a co-worker told me I looked like the Unabomber when I grew a beard about 20 years ago. I grow an ugly beard.

Anybody else noticed that goatees (with mustaches) became popular right about the time Gillette was sending all men free Mach III razors? Gillette could sell them their not-really-cheap replacement blade cartridges. The Mach III can slice up your chin and lip. Hence, goatee-and-mustache, the combo of which I believe is called an "imperial. "

This was back in the '90s.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
I was thinking that was why various women told me they didn't like the way I looked when I grew a beard for Movember 2016.

But then I remembered that a co-worker told me I looked like the Unabomber when I grew a beard about 20 years ago. I grow an ugly beard.

Anybody else noticed that goatees (with mustaches) became popular right about the time Gillette was sending all men free Mach III razors? Gillette could sell them their not-really-cheap replacement blade cartridges. The Mach III can slice up your chin and lip. Hence, goatee-and-mustache, the combo of which I believe is called an "imperial. "

This was back in the '90s.

I'm pretty sure that the grunge movement started the goatee thing and I think they did it for the same reason I do most things. To piss off squares.

Too bad the squares have started wearing them. :mad:

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
IMG_8558.jpg

The scruffy goatee goes with the new Tele!

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I grew a moustache as soon as I was able. That was in my mid-20s. I kept it for about 20 years, sometimes accompanied by a scraggly chin-sprout or a soul patch, but then I became an actor, which taught me a couple of things about my facial hair.

1) I had to wear false muttonchops for a play. It turns out I rock muttonchops like nobody’s business. I apparently have the right face for the 1850s. Sadly, I cannot grow muttonchops.

B) A director made me shave the moustache for a show. I learned that while my moustache is not as dire as my chin hair, it still does me no favours. It has never come back.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Short chin foliage with a sweeping, curled handlebar 'stache (almost as full as my mother-in-law's):eek::D:D:D

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
After I retired, I grew a goatee but the Mrs. didn’t like it. So I shaved it off after a few years. Clean shaven now and it’s ok. The thing I did not like was trimming the darn thing. Shaving is easier and I’m generally lazy so I don’t mind not having it.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Clean shaven all my adult life except for a long weekend's stubble now and again until about a year ago. With "that which cannot be named", I left off shaving for several months. I shaved it all off about three months ago for a work thing and was horrified at my appearance so I grew it back and won't make that mistake again.

I look much better with a beard and mustache. MUCH better...

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Been bearded since a two week vacation in 1994. It gets cleaned up and short sometimes but doesn't go away. :lol:o_O

I'm pretty sure that the grunge movement started the goatee thing and I think they did it for the same reason I do most things. To piss off squares.

Too bad the squares have started wearing them. :mad:
They've been around for a few hundred years, at least (see Van Dyke). :D Pretty popular in the 1950s, too, I think.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Dyke_beard
Perhaps Van Dyke wanted to piss off squares, too. :lol::lol:

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Been bearded since a two week vacation in 1994. It gets cleaned up and short sometimes but doesn't go away. :lol:o_O

They've been around for a few hundred years, at least (see Van Dyke). :D Pretty popular in the 1950s, too, I think.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Dyke_beard
Perhaps Van Dyke wanted to piss off squares, too. :lol::lol:

Yes, I realize that but the nineties is when it became a "thing." Before that you usually only seen goatees and Van Dykes on magicians, bikers, and Kentucky Colonels who sold fried chicken, at least in the US.

rarebreed

Tele-Afflicted
Have worn a beard since I could first grow a decent one. I've shaved it off once in 44 years. It used to be longer but these days I keep it trimmed up kind of close.

Mike SS

Poster Extraordinaire
WIN_20211225_09_12_21_Pro.jpg I can grow a mustache, but can't stand the feeling of the hair hitting my lips. The chin is the only place that there is any decent growth, everywhere else is patchy at best, so this is the sum total of my facial hair. I tell people it's an artist thing. :D

goonie

Friend of Leo's
Wow 60% bearded! Must go with the whole salt of the earth tele playin' working man vibe.

About 5mm of beard is all I can take until it drives me nuts. I like that look actually but my wife likes me clean shaven so she generally gets her way.