1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Facebook

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hockey Rocker, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

What is with this type of thing? I can understand the My Space and even the blogs. Share your music, talk about hockey, okay I get that. But this Facebook craze I don't get. "Do you want to be my friend? Okay." "Do you want to be my friend?" What the hell is this, Valentines day in the fifth grade?

I only ask because I'm being deluged with by the damned thing. I opened an account on under pressure from my world traveling siblings, and now I've got HUNDREDS of people I do business with coming up as hits from my email address book. That scares me. I don't understand the attraction.

2. furrfurrfurr

furrfurrfurr Friend of Leo's

i love it. thought i'd HATE it.

but i've been able to connect with people who I thought I'd never talk to again.

3. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

+1,000
    I was born and raised in Alaska and now I live in California. Facebook is a great way to find and reconnect with old friends. I can see how a bunch of work related acquaintances could get annoying.

4. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

A college friend encouraged me to sign up and it allowed me to reconnect with a few college buddies and high school friends. That's been sort of fun but other than that I don't use it much. Most of the People You Might Know I have no interest in connecting with. I left high school behind me other than a few people I still send Christmas cards to and see once in a while. That was then this is now.

5. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

There's a reason why I've lost touch with people I don't speak to anymore.

If they really wanted to speak to me, they can pick up the phone, I'm in the book. I can't stand jerks who say stuff like "oh sorry I didn't contact you, I lost your email". Seems to me like the phone has worked well for the last 100 years, didn't know that it's obsolete now.

If people are so lazy that they will only contact you through Facebook, then they weren't worth knowing.

I refuse to join. My friend has dozens of unanswered friend requests from ex-girlfriends and past acquaintances, he has to ask himself if he really wants any of these people back in his life. Do you really want to know that your ex is fat with two kids now? What good will that do?

If you can't be with the ones you love, love the ones you're with. I'm only starting to realize that now. Leave the past behind and create new memories.

6. rextasy

rextasy Tele-Afflicted

Exactly. I've posted about this here before. I started getting disturbed when people from high school started contacting me on Facebook. There's a good reason I didn't attend my reunion. About 20 of 'em, in fact. And other people from my past who apparently just wanted to say "hi." Well, "Hi. Got anything else to say to me? No? I guess there is a good reason we lost touch."

When I feel guilty for spending time on the TDPRI board, I remind myself of what all my "peers" are doing over at Facebook.

7. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

I thought we were your peers.

8. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I enjoy Facebook tremedously!

I find it a fun way to keep light contact with several old friends, and it's also been a way to make a few new ones. It's purely made for a wisecracking fellow like me.

I've actually made the acquaintance of some members of a band I really liked back in the 80s, and next time I go to Austin, I'll be meeting them for a beer!

But I can see how it would be a pain if you had a whole lot of "friends" who you DIDN'T want to touch base with. Fortunately, you have the ability to NOT accept friend invitations, and it's not like you have to tell the person to drop dead or anything...

Tim

9. emailhot

emailhot Tele-Meister

none of my family lives very close to me, and I've found it to be a great way to connect with them. I do still pick up the phone to talk with them, but it gives us another way to communicate.

10. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

There have been a ton of these threads about Facebook/Gather/Myspace/etc. If you don't understand it, stop worrying about it! :lol: I've gotten in touch with a whole bunch of people I never would have otherwise, through these great services.

- Scott

11. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I resisted for a long time. I thought it was a stupid college student thing and I didn't want to play. I was finally guilted into doing it and I like it better than myspace. I found a lot of old friends and I only allow friends who I'm actually friends with. I'm not on a mission to rack up as many facebook friends as possible. It's good for contacts, networking, business and just keeping in touch. If you don't want to do it, fine. I don't sit there and throw sheep at people all day. I just use it to keep up with people.

12. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I use it only for actual friends and family. It's good for that. That feature where you submit your address book and it shows you everyone in it who has a Facebook page--you don't need to use that if you don't want.

I don't use it for music--that's what myspace is for.

13. Tdot

That's all I do with it. I have 11 "friends" and that's plenty. I also ignore the games and invites anyone sends at me.

It's like a family bulletin board. Just this morning I saw that:
    • sister-in-law & husband (ID) are going overnight snowshoeing to a yurt.
    • mother-in-law (NV) is feeling better after yesterdays dentist appt.
    • a friend (AZ) is nearby for the holidays and is bringing another friend (UT) up to my town for lunch. (if they can get through the snow)
    • a friend (UT) is playing three Xmas services today.
    • and one friend (NC) is prepping Xmas dinner.
    • and everyone knows I'm (UT) moving snow.

I hate phones and probably wouldn't ever call anyone, but I'm willing to make comments on Facebook. And it's easy to upload and share photos.

Now MySpace just looks like a mess to me, I have no interest in that one. Unless someone says "hear my new song", I don't want anything to do with it.

14. WickedGTR

WickedGTR Friend of Leo's

Or someone could set up a "Fan Page" for the board, similar to this:

may serve better than a regular profile page...

15. Tdot

That's a great idea for a TDPRI presence.

16. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's where the part where I hve to accept the request comes in. I ignore it for those I don't care to reconnect with. Ex-girlfriends, a**holes from my past. I mean, all IS forgiven, and I love these guys, I'm just fine with loving them from a distance. I'm glad we all grew out of our childish bulls*** but socially, I don't drink and most of the people from my past still treat it like a sport or a pasttime.

There are not only people I want to reconnect with, but people who I am already connected with. It's nice in a very busy life to have a tool to help me know who needs my prayers and who should be congratulated. I want to see pictures of these people's families and I care what they're doing for work and for fun.

17. Hockey Rocker

Well excuse me. No friend request for you. :)

18. Tdot

:lol::lol:

19. Hockey Rocker

Here's what I don't get: I have family friends, hockey friends, guitar friends, church friends, work friends and customers and suppliers that are not usually good friends. If I say on MyFace, or spacebook, wait... Facebook: "Will you be my friend?" and they say "Yes, be my friend" Then do all of these people get thrown together in the mix that is my life? I think the answer is yes.

I don't like that idea. Right now I'm compartmentalized and shooting for isolationism. Facebook may not be the way to go for me.

20. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think you misunderstood him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.