Facebook at it again

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Apr 4, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well even funnier is that FB was selling Onovo, which was a product to protect device users from being spied on, then spying on device users with the product they said was protection against spying?

2. telemnemonics

Can that many people really think it's a good idea to purchase a product from FB to protect the data on their mobile device?

https://www.onavo.com/

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  3. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

When she was younger my daughter setup a Facebook account for her American Girl doll. For some reason my email was linked to the account.
    I don’t know how many emails I got from guys wanting to chat with Isabella (the dolls name) The account was canceled

4. telemnemonics

So wholesome!

5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

One more reason I never used Facebook

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always think it’s hilarious when anybody uses the internet and thinks anything at all they do is “private”. I’m careful, and conscious, but I always assume anybody and everybody can get a hold of anything and everything I’ve ever posted online.

Text, pics, “private” messages, everything. If I don’t want it getting out to everybody I’ve ever met, and lots of people I haven’t, I don’t let it out of my head. And since I talk in my sleep, that’s not even safe.

Think you deleted stuff? You didn’t. It’s all out there permanently. Forever. And the right person can definitely find it.

I had to get a new phone last year after mine was destroyed in an accident. The first thing I noticed when the new one booted up was that every text message thread I’ve ever deleted came right back.

It’s all out there. It always will be. You don’t have any privacy. It’s an illusion. Treat it like that and you’ll be fine.

7. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

It's a book written on parchment made out the skin from gullible peoples faces, like most things that are "for free" in the app world.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

I can at least say I will never let fb on my phone, and they do not have my phone number (afaik).

tah1962 likes this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW, I deleted my Facebook account in 2017 because, instead of uniting people, it became too contentious and it was my insignificant way of protesting their business model and practices.

I do not miss it!

graybeard65 and Thinline casket like this.
  10. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

If you have a smart phone, everything you do on it goes to Google or Apple. Install Facebook, then it goes to Facebook too.

The era of having a choice about these things is fastly coming to an end, with all these "smart" and web connected devices coming up. Devices that will soon be enforced by law, like smart cars or health monitoring devices, etc..

11. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I don't have anything to do with FB or Apple products.

tery likes this.
  12. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I have an account , but only one friend, my wife. Declined my mom three times

NightOwl, telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.
  13. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Does anyone else have your number? Then FB does, too.

14. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

If you read the Motherboard article linked in this article, these are allegations made by NSO in response to being sued by Facebook for hacking.

And you're reporting it as if it's fact. The dirtbag CEO of NSO is one of the last people you should take at face value. If you believe him just because he said it, you're gullible enough to believe anything.

And all the TDPRI FB hters can't wait to tell us for the umpteenth time how they're not on FB.

Jakedog and Manual Slim like this.
  15. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Me neither. FB reminds of the Lotus flower scene in Percy Jackson and Lightening Thief. Only more hideous ;^)

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I never stated that I held NSO in high regard. The 9to5Mac article plainly labeled them as “controversial”. As the article states “when Facebook was starting to build its spyware cloaked in a VPN product, Onavo Protect for iOS”. That says quite a bit doesn’t it?
    Facebook has developed a pretty controversial reputation on its own over the years and is hardly trustworthy in any respect. If you think they’re reputable and above board then it is you that is gullible.

Thinline casket likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

I'd be interested to know how many who think FB is terrible, have Alexa in their home?
    Like you say, users of smart phones and bank cards are tracked all day every day by multiple entities who sell the tracked info to other entities, largely for the purpose of selling us stuff.

Amazon lives for nothing else but selling us stuff.
    Alexa is a voluntary home surveillance system that mines our data from our every conversation!

Here on the TDPRI we love to talk about NGD/ NAD etc, so why get so upset about the retail industry tracking our activities?

Of course any terrorist or prepper might have bigger reasons to be upset by retailers tracking their movements with gps, and knowing when they go to the gun store and when they buy fertilizer and diesel fuel.

But guitar players happily buying gear and wanting our gear buying escapades to be kept secret?

No more NGD threads!
    Secrets must not get out!

Jakedog likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

I agree that it's really hilarious that FB created Onavo as a product to mine data and then marketed it as a product to protect data.
    But all these data mining companies are like hens in the chicken pen pecking at each other for the biggest portion of our data.
    For us to look at them and get upset about the fattest hen, as if only that one big fat FB hen is the culprit, looks almost as funny as buying spyware to protect ourselves from spyware.

Still the Trojan Horse concept is pretty durn old.
    Nothing to see here!
    Just ourselves as public forum!

19. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

we go through this every three weeks or so. Why do we bother? The same guys every time: "never had it, never will". Don't you guys ever get sick and tired of yourselves repeating the same thing over and over again?

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It’s as funny as all the people that lose their minds over the DNA testing stuff.

Like anybody who wants your DNA for nefarious purposes can’t get it today if they want it. I’ve been leaving mine all over the planet with impunity my entire life. So has everyone else.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.