F Hole Conversion?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by KazPed, Mar 30, 2009.

1. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

hey all
    I have a telecaster body i would like to use, but i wondered if theres a way i could give it an f hole, suppose convert it from a normal solidy body, to a thinline one? and how to do it? thanks

2. kayarcee

kayarcee TDPRI Member

Plane about 1/8th of an inch off of the top, route out the chambers on the upper bout and lower bout (I'm sure there are a few templates in the resources section or in this very forum's archives for Thinline cavities), and then build a top out of 1/8th inch-thick maple/alder/spruce/rosewood/luan/plywood/mdf/chipboard/your wood here

3. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

hmmm, so how difficult would this be for someone with limited workshop experience?

4. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Hi, KazPed.
    Assuming you've never used either a plane or a router before then, sorry, this is a bit of a no-no for a first job. If you really want a thinline then buy a thinline body. Otherwise you're looking at setting up a workshop for what may be a one-off job.

5. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

well ive used a plane and a router before. and my school has a workshop and some experienced teachers! (who are also guitarists)

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First of all ......... 1/8 in is a bit thin for a top. Thinline tops are about 1/4 in. thick.

Second, I would not take a hand plane to a guitar usless you are an expert in the use of such a tool. You could run it through a 13 in. surface planer. The smarter way would be to take 1/4 in. off the back unless you have a really nice bookmatched top that you want to use.

Another option is do something like the following:

......[​IMG]

This was done without any paint touch-up ........ hence the odd pickguard shape. Here's how I did it.

Weight Reduction Plan

7. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

wow man, that is amazing. how does it sound as a hollow body? or is the f hole purely for show really?

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, 1/8" is way too thin. 1/4" is more typical for a cap like that.

That's a very cool design Jack.

9. varakeef

varakeef Tele-Afflicted

With a very limited wood working skills I hollowed one solid body like this:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-tech/95975-yet-another-thinline-project.html

It's in no way an example of how to do it, but I think it shows the amount of great hints and advising you get from here. There's lots of don'ts there, but it worked out well eventually.

And I got some help with the planing of the back, but basically it was a project of how do a hand router work. :D

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

KazPed, if you've got access to the workshop, tools and tutors, then off you go!

I might be inclined to do the routing before planning off 1/4-in or more, that way a template can be screwed firmly to the top, also less planning to do, especially if you have a big bench planner or surfacer. A carved-top maple cap might look real pretty.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.