EzDrummer 2 for a total noob

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
Hey all! I see this is on sale for USD$70. I would be using it with Garageband. For those who have it, is it worth the dough? I just want something fairly easy to use to mess around with some riffs I've made up.

All comments are welcome! Thanks.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have its big brother (Superior Drummer 3), and there is a bit of a learning curve with all of these plug-ins, but the difficulty level depends on how deeply you want to dive into the more advanced features (which I think aren't as much of an issue with EZ Drummer). My advice would be to hit up YouTube for EZ Drummer tutorials, I'm sure there's a ton of them. This is what got me over the hump with SD3, and ultimately what saved my monitor from being thrown through the window.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
If you are computer savvy, it's not that hard to get some tracks going.

But used as a stand-alone app, it doesn't have the complete functionality that you get using it as a plug-in for a DAW software. For instance, you can't always vary tempo on the provided beats unless they are used within the DAW as a plug in.

But I'd say it's easy to get started and not too hard to get a solid grasp. Also not hard to 'sculpt' the beats once you are in DAW.

woodman

Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed
Gold Supporter
Well worth the dough. I don't use the EZD on-board composer — just drag the pattern you like into your track and tweak it to taste in the GB Piano Roll. As Frodebro recommends, YouTube will get you going!

soundchaser59

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
If you want the most realistic sounding drums for the least amount of effort then EZD is definitely one of the top 2 or 3 contenders.

The only caveat I can offer is if you decide to upgrade later to SD then make sure you have a top shelf computer, cuz it is a resource hog if.....if.....if you want to bury yourself in all of the power user features it offers.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
Love my EZD2, and that's a great price. I concur with the idea that it's fairly straightforward to just get some drums going with the options that are right in front of you, and then you can dive deeper later. For instance, I LOVE to tinker and mess with things, and you can split your drums out into multichannel arrangements for that, but half the time I just leave the whole thing on a stereo channel and focus on other things, because the drums will be more than good enough that way.

Oh, and like Woodman, I just drag and drop MIDI onto the appropriate channel. The song composer just complicates things in my mind, and you don't get the visual in the track view of your DAW. There are also separate start and stop functions that sometimes work with your DAW, but sometimes require you to hit them within the plugin UI.

Biggest tip: Especially if you split the drums into different channels, the mixer panel in the plugin is your friend. Different drumsets have different controls, and only one or two of them actually allow you to control the bleed into kick and snare mics. I've also caused myself problems more than once because I split out my channels, but the mixer defaults everything to Channel 1 unless you tell it otherwise, and then I'm like "yo, why does my kick channel have cowbell or something in it all the time?" Also, some of the compression and distortion controls on some of the sets are really fun to play with, especially if you like garage rock and lofi absurdity like I do. Don't miss those.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
It is worth twice that price and more. Mainly because I bought it for twice the price a few years ago. It must be Snow Leopard or newer on your Mac. Best “drum” thing I ever did. I use it with GarageBand too. I had never used a MIDI device before, so that was the only big hurdle for me … and you are going to want some sort of MIDI device to use it’s functionality. There are a plethora of expansion packs that go on sale often that extend the pallets of your choice.