Ez Drummer as a drum machine?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Craig Williams, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Was looking around for a drum machine for a duo. Just want to use basic preset patterns not really interested in creating songs, fills, patterns.

Will Ez Drummer do that easily? Just want basic 4 on the floor drum patterns, Pop, rock etc with decent sound. Easy to change tempo etc. Save patterns for each song. Can you export to WAV or MP3 save them and play off your phone?

Some of these old stand alone drum machines still pretty pricey. Was wondering if Ez Drummer on my PC will do the same thing? Stereo cable out from head phones split into two mono cables out to the PA

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

EZ drummer should work fine, I'd be more concerned that you have an I/O box that can work in that construct.

EX Drummer is simple to program, or essentially just cut/paste together the pieces you want into a cong. Easy enough to use as backing tracks.

But a lot of its tweaks are done within your DAW, outside of the basic EZDrummer software. You may need to use the DAW as a one-track, then do a simple mix to WAV or something that you can use with any device, freeing you up from having to drag you computer around.

Heck you could just use your phone.

Matt G likes this.
  3. Craig Williams

Was hoping to use it stand alone and just use its presets. I'm too old for DAWs :(

4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just got a Beat Buddy Mini 2 and I’m having a pretty good time with it. Easy to use and sounds pretty good. I’m starting to come to the same conclusion with DAWS. Frustrating.

Matt G and Treynor like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I’ve gone through a range of making drum patterns to work with a solo or duo performances. Lots to consider, but maybe you should explain exactly what your intended end product is first.

I had a simple Boss Drum machine that probably would fill your needs better. I use EZDrummer2 for recording purposes that can do just about anything you’ll ever need, but it is not simple and requires an additional MIDI input device to make it usable. My Digitech Trio+, does almost everything in between and is way more user friendly than either an old drum machine or a software package, but more limiting in scope. I have not used a Beat Buddy, but it seems to be another alternative.

Matt G and belleswell like this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

You could totally export just the drum file from your DAW (maybe even from the main EZDrummer module, haven't tried that) and then play it off your phone, if that's easier.

I love EZDrummer and I've used it as a drum machine into a sound system. Works like a charm, you can make it as simple or complex as you need it to be.

7. Craig Williams

Think I already covered it bro. Simple drum machine or similar with decent sounds, preset patterns to be used as backing for a duo....practice, maybe live too. Back in the day we used to use a Yamaha RX7, but hard to find and surprisingly expensive. Duo only new so loathe to spend hours creating tracks and it all falls apart. been there done that

8. Craig Williams

I actually have a little drum machine on my Nux MG-300 which is decent enough. I could probably out to my digital recorder and then create wave files per song. The Yamaha RX7 was great stand alone. The drum sounds were excellent. Could set a click in 4 beats, select pattern, select tempo....foot switch and away you go. I know there are much better solutions and end results but for a lot of work. programming fills etc and creating whole songs can be problematic too if someone screws up. Ooppps!

I find these days I am spending more time on all this technology than actually playing :(

Jim622 likes this.
  9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I don't know if it's unusual but my EZ drummer came as a VST for DAW's AND as a standalone. I mostly use a Tascam 32sd multitrack recorder ( I don't especially like DAW's...too distracting) so VERY rarely use it as a Plugin in a DAW, almost always standalone and it works great.

Matt G likes this.
  10. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

A phone, tablet or laptop on a live gig with cables coming out of it going to a PA doesn't seem that bulletproof. I sometimes use an Alesis SR-16 drum machine. It is small, sturdy, lightweight, inexpensive and sounds good. Easy to use, has lots preprogrammed patterns and beats. Just hook up a cable or two, push a couple of buttons and off you go. $150 new, half that used.

https://www.alesis.com/products/view/sr-16

AlesisSR16.jpg

11. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I'd get a standalone drum machine. That SR-16 would be just about right.

declanaungier likes this.
  12. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

13. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Lots of solo and duo folk are creating backings in Band In A Box.

There is a guy here in Oz doing that and he records each performance and then burns CDs of the show and flogs them at the end of the night while he has a beer or two.

He just drives from town to town and asks the publican if he can set up in a corner and sing a few songs for the punters at no charge.

Until the current plague he was doing quite well out of it

Mark E Rhodes likes this.
  14. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I own one of theses I love it , when recorded to DAW, I can use plugins to beef it up and add ambience ,
    a cheap dependable means of providing your Argentinian tango tunes with some proper feeling, I can hear the accordion now.

Mark E Rhodes likes this.
  15. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

16. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got a Beat Buddy and it suits me just fine, but I wonder if more people aren’t doing what I thought of after I had already bought the BB, and that is, Utilizing an inexpensive looper with six or eight hours recording time as a drum machine? The loopers come with drum machines in them, but they’re usually not the greatest. But there’s nothing stopping you from making some quick loop/recording of any of the great beats that are on YouTube submitted by drummers, or even recording some thing like the old drum drops records...I have done busking with drumbeats off an old android phone. Whoever brought up the reliability factor definitely makes a good point-sometimes the connection from an 8th inch headphone jack can be iffy for a little old phone. Probably want to keep the number of adapters down to a minimum if any, but there are a lot of free downloads of simple drum machines for your telephone, I guess it just depends on how intricate you want your parts to be.

17. Mark E Rhodes

Mark E Rhodes Tele-Meister

I had one of those years ago and often miss it. What I liked about it was using footswitches so that I could stop / start and also add fills while playing guitar and singing at the same time. That's a great tool for trying out song parts on the fly. Sounds good too.

As for EZDrummer, it's a great piece of software and you can pick up expansion packs for cheap if you wait for sales. I use it all the time. It's the only drum machine I use in Reaper.

But thinking about my old SR-16, I think I'd like to have that when I'm coming up with songs and just want a solid beat (rather than a metronome) to play to.

Maguchi likes this.
  18. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I tried ez drummer and Toontrack superior drummer 2 hooked up to an elesis kit with mesh heads via usb
    EZDrummer sounded very good Toontrack sounded amazing the pitch option on Toontrack was the difference getting better tones out of the toms & snare very close to acoustic drums
    the mesh heads probably helped

19. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

If you aren’t interested in programming fills or arrangements, then there’s gotta be “drums only” backing tracks for free you could just play off of a phone.

20. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

EZ Drummer is pretty cool, but if you don't want to mess around with a DAW then I'd go with a drum machine. In fact, I started out wanting a drum machine, but couldn't lay hands on a vintage Rhythm Ace so gave up and went with Plan B (EZ Drummer).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.