Eyelet Board Comparison

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Phrygian77, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

I rarely see builds using a Hoffman eyelet board, and I've never seen a side by side comparison with another board. So, here you go, this is a Mojotone Vibro Champ fiberboard next to a Hoffman epoxy board.

IMG_20190827_220445.jpg
    IMG_20190827_220436.jpg

BobSmith, Wally and D'tar like this.
  2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

That's a wide board!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. Phrygian77

Yeah, it's 3.125". Probably won't be using it for the next Vibro Champ build, because it would be too cramped. His eyelets look so much better than the Mojotone ones though. However, I may order his Vibrosonic eyelet board for my brown Super build, just because I really don't want to to make that one myself.

4. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

One could easily trim off the long edges to bring down the dimensions a bit!

Les Gear and Wally like this.
  5. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

I use these boards all the time just because they're more rigid and nice and clean. See my "form follows function" thread in this forum, I'm using one there. Plenty of room in a Princeton-style chassis.
    I can see how there could be issues in smaller chassis but if you're careful you can use them just fine. Here's a pic of a Princeton board stuffed into a tiny 4" wide chassis that I ended up installing in a Deluxe-style cabinet. Tight fit and you have to be careful on how you position it, but it can be done. IMG_5037.jpg

MrGibbly, King Fan and jsnwhite619 like this.
  6. Phrygian77

I'm pretty much done with trying to cut boards on my old table saw, until I get a tile saw, or anything more suitable.

Robear likes this.
  7. Phrygian77

That said, I've got some thick Garolite that I'm planning to make Princeton Reverb and Vibro Champ board/drill templates out of. After 3 Princeton Reverb builds, I want something easier than a paper template.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never tried it, but would not a belt sander take some of that epoxy board away? There is simply too much width there, imho. There is no reason that comes to my mind to have that excess material taking up space.

schmee, Bill Moore and D'tar like this.
  9. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

how many ways to skin a cat...
    I would take that to the band saw then sand the edges on my sheet of glass covered with choice of paper.

Wally likes this.
  10. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a friend with a "sliding" miter saw, and get him to cut my Garolite circuit boards, does a really nice job. I couldn't find him the last time I needed a board, so I used my table saw, (height just slightly more than the Garolite). (I had cut some plexi-glass with it before, so I figured it was worth a try.)
    It worked great!

A band saw would be cool though!

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

.... or just use a normal board and worry about if it's ok 50 years from now.........

King Fan likes this.
  12. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I finally got around to having a look at the circuit in my Friedman Smallbox- pretty nifty looking: EA1B72D4-E0FF-40D7-AD99-1E4C9F66969D.jpeg

FenderLover and sds1 like this.
  13. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

I'm moving to this type of construction, love me some PCB so long as it's high quality and hand soldered with no jacks/pots/valves/switches on the board. Wish those Cliff jacks were not on the buffered effects loop board. Still using all high-quality components. Love it.

14. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I recently ordered a few things, and added a couple of pre-drilled G-10 boards to try. (They aren't much money, and I saved a lot of measuring/drilling time!) I ordered both 2, and 3mm, and also some 2mm turrets. I think the thinner board will be plenty stable, and it was sure easy to install the turrets!
    This board is for an 18W TMB project:

18W TMB board.JPG

The red board is 3mm thick.

MrGibbly, Paul-T, dan40 and 1 other person like this.
  15. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just used the same red, 3mm board in an 18 watt ef86/tmb build. I used the Ceriatone layout and it is the best sounding amp that I have built so far. Love these boards from tubesandmore because I can run the wires up through the board holes before soldering to the turrets. Makes for a clean look and sturdy connection.

Bill Moore and Wally like this.
  16. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like Doug’s boards a lot, and never really thought about the width, especially in a bigger 'tray' chassis, but even in my recent 5e3. I guess they are pretty wide.

[​IMG]

But his huge range of board layouts and his easy method to turn your DIYLC into a custom-drilled board are both extremely helpful. Let’s say you don’t own a drill press and don’t like the perfboard approach. Who else sells ready-made model-specific epoxy / garolite / etc? Even though I like Doug’s boards a ton, he is making retirement noises....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Les Gear

Les Gear TDPRI Member

Hoffman PR board I sliced down using a common hacksaw:

[​IMG]

Bill Moore and King Fan like this.
  18. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Genius!

King Fan likes this.
  19. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

King Fan, in that 5E3 type chassis, that extra width really make problems. In certain chassi such as the one Les Gear shows us and in the 6G and later Fenders, that extra material could get in the way, it seems. At any rate, there is a way to deal with it if it should pose a problem.

King Fan likes this.
  20. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hacksaw? Brilliant... Les is more! :)

Speaking of brilliant, I should add that Doug can drill / outfit a custom board (eyelet or turret) using a 'fill in the dots' paper template if you don't do DIYLC. The launch point for both methods is on this page. But note the custom boards are also 3.125", since that's how wide his stock is.

I agree with you, Wally, that too much board can be too much. If I built a tweed bigger than a 5e3, or a tray amp narrower than a 6G2, or if I wanted more room for gadgets and gizmos, I'd be looking at ways to narrow one of Doug's boards.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Les Gear and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.