1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

External hardrive help, please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gitlvr, Nov 25, 2013.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Jut bought a 2TB external hard drive(Toshiba Canvio). It comes with backup software preinstalled, however, do I have to install or set it up for backup, or is there a way to bypass this software and use it solely as storage space for my home studio files? In other words I don't want the software automatically performing scheduled backups of my system and eating up my storage capacity. There's a backup of the basic programs and OS in the D partition, and I don't particularly need anything else. I don't use the computer for anything but music production, so there are no files on it that will cause me problems if they are lost or corrupted. I can always do a system recovery from the D partition and then reload my music software from disc. Everything else will be stored on the external drive anyway.
    Thanks.

2. ApolloMike

ApolloMike Tele-Holic

I have a WD MyBook Live external, so I am not sure if it is the same, but I am not using the backup software. I did "map" it as a network drive for all the computers (and iDevices) that access it. Makes it easy.

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure you can use it as it but reformatting it yourself will remove anything you don't want and make sure it's a good one to start.

I don't like "free" backup software if we're not talking about the utilities you OS provides. Acronis is a best or at least top choice for a Windows user.

You may use it however you wish but don't forget you should have sound backups for all you do including copies off site.

4. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Yep, just reformat it and it should be good to go.

5. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Do I need the software so my computer can recognize it(Vista) or should it basically recognize it like it does a flashdrive, etc?
    Probably really stupid questions, but I know zilch about any of this, and wonder how I even use my computer in the first place.

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Listen to J-man.

I've done the same with an external hard drive that was given to me. Just right click on it, select reformat, and it will come back 100% clean.

7. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Nope, you won't need any special software. As you say, it should just recognise it like a flash drive.

If/when you reformat the drive, make sure to pick NTFS instead of FAT 32.

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My vista recognises most of the things I plug into USB....

the Ext HD just comes up as another prefix drive... as your flash drive would...

if you don't want any of the stuff on it... reformat the drive in preferences... or right click on the drive and a menu should come up to do it...

good luck... :)

9. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, all of you! Much appreciated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.