Extension cab for 5e3

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TweedleDumble, Dec 16, 2019.

1. TweedleDumble

TweedleDumble TDPRI Member

Hey all,

Been thinking about putting together an extension cab for my tweed deluxe clone at some point in the new year. My general idea is to build a cab for attenuation use at home and additional volume in jam/live situations against heavier hitting drummers.

I'm aware of Fluxtone and as preferable as they seem to be, it's just way too steep for my gas station wages so I've been thinking I'd get a 5e3 clone cab and load it with an Eminence Maverick. I could cut 9db at the speaker and use my trusty Weber Mini Mass to cut some more so I can be that dick crankin' the 5e3 in the basement apartment without killing the lady upstairs haha. In addition, I could then open the speaker in jam/live situations where the one speaker might not have enough get out to compete with other instruments.

Anyone have any insight that might be valuable for this potential project?

Thanks all!

2. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I use a Maverick in my 5E3 and it sounds great, the adjustable sensitivity yields the characteristic tweed crunch at “at home” volume levels (like with the family watching TV upstairs), and it also helps tame the volume jump that occurs at about 3 on the dial.

TweedleDumble likes this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

FYI...remember to build in your end result in your plan.
    Closed Back vs half back, vs 3/4 closed...all different sounds.

TweedleDumble likes this.
  4. TweedleDumble

Awesome stuff man, definitely sounds like I'm moving in the right direction then.

I'm assuming it would be safe to use in combination with the stock speaker in the cab holding the chassis using the second speaker out jack? Trying to get some 2x12 action for situations where the straight combo might not make the cut.

5. TweedleDumble

Absolutely. Was going to go with a design like the combo cab to retain as much of the original idea as the straight combo would provide. The idea here is to have an option to bookend what the 5e3 does on it's own, so use the second cab on it's own for home use when I need the volume cut or open it up all the way and use it in conjunction with the stock speaker for extra output in live situations.

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Does your amp have a multi-tap OT? I put a switch in mine that toggles between 8 and 4 ohms.

7. TweedleDumble

This is one of my primary concerns. How would I find out and what risks should I be concerned about?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.