Ext cab with Deluxe RI

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Brother Chub, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Brother Chub

Brother Chub TDPRI Member

Has any one ran an ext cab with a deluxe ri.? If I was going to what would I use. My amp has the factory Jensen speaker, I have another Jensen 12" laying around and was thinking about putting it in a cab.

2. Klaus Kemmerling

Klaus Kemmerling Tele-Meister

Hello,
    right now I am into the market for a DRRI and I will probably get one today or tomorrow.
    But I have a Peavey Classic 30 with a 112E extension cabinet (1x12" Speaker, Celestion Vintage 30). Adding the cabinat makes the overall sound rounder and warmer - not necessarily louder.
    It sounds best (IMO) when the cabinet is placed a little apart from the combo.
    The cabinet is also a nice thing on live gigs. You can place the amp pointing to yourself (to hear yourself quite good) and the cabinet to the audience.
    I plan to use the Pevey cabinet together with the DRRI when I got it.
    Regards,
    Klaus

3. Klaus Kemmerling

Hi,
    I got a new DRRI last sunday. I tried it with the 1x12 extension cabinet. it works without problems and the effect is the same as I described with the Peavey Classic 30.
    Klaus

4. JerryPro

JerryPro Tele-Holic

Klaus

How do you like the DRRI as opposed to yer Peavey Classic 30?

I have two DRs. One is a '69 and the other is a re-issue.
    I was thinking of snagging a PV C30 to go along with them.

5. Klaus Kemmerling

Hello Jerry,
    my Peavey Classic 30 (C30) is a little modified. When i bought, my dealer recommended to change some tubes and the speaker. So one pre-amp tube is a JJ and the power-amp tubes are EI. The speaker is a Celestion G 12 H 30.
    These mods changed the sound of the amp in a nice way. It has more bottom end and is less harsh than it was with stock speaker and tubes.

The basic sound of the C30 is quite different from the DRRI . I would say the C30 is more versatile. It has a nice clean channel that breaks up at higher volumes. The C30 has an additional "fat-switch" that changes the sound drastically. It adds a lot of midrange.
    The C30 also has the drive channel. I use to set it almost clean (low preamp setting and higher poweramp setting) to get a breaking-up / crunchy sound. However you can also get a real overdrive sound, especially when the fat-switch is on.

The DRRI IMO has a warmer and rounder sound. The reverb ist much nicer IMO. The DRRI has a very unique sound that I was looking for. However I couldn't say it is *better* than the C30 - just different. I will keep both amps, and because they have different sounds it is a good (?) "reason" to have both.

Looking at the price (the Peavey (in stock version) is about 1/2 the price of the DRRI), the Peavey is a very good deal IMO.

Klaus

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.