Expression Pedal Recommendations?

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'm looking for a better expression pedal for my Keeley Halo delay. Right now I'm using a repurposed Cry Baby shell, but the short throw makes it hard to adjust while playing. I'm mostly using it to control the mix and feedback and I have trouble getting it "just right".

I also wish it were smaller, so I'm considering the Dunlop Mini Volume/Expression pedal. Anybody used one? I'm wonder how the long the throw is on that one. Beyond that, I guess the big Ernie Ball and Roland pedals are probably the most popular for pro boards.

What's your expression experience?

Last edited:

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Yup. I use the EB Vol Jr for the throw. I bought a Mission Exp pedal but the tiny throw drove me nuts. It was basically an on/off switch. They are large though.

vjf1968

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm looking for a better expression pedal for my Keeley Halo delay. Right now I'm using a repurposed Cry Baby shell, but the short throw makes it hard to adjust while playing. I'm mostly using it to control the mix and feedback and I have trouble getting it "just right".

I also wish it were smaller, so I'm considering the Dunlop Mini Volume/Expression pedal. Anybody used one? I'm wonder how the long the throw is on that one. Beyond that, I guess the big Ernie Ball and Roland pedals are probably the most popular for pro boards.

What's your expression experience?
I have a few. I have the Dunlop Volume X Pedal, Moog Expression Pedal and a EHX pedal that let's you control 2 different pedals. I do have 2 M-Audio expression pedals as well. They all seem to work fine for me. I also have way to many expression pedals.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
I keep recommend the Moog EP-3 over the Roland EV-5. Removeable cord, substantial build (the EV-5 is a plastic toy) and less expensive.

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’ve seen the Moog recommended before on other forums. I like the price and its reputation, my only complain is its size. It’s bigger that a Cry Baby. It would be tough squeezing it in between my pedalboard and Shelby’s deluxe dog bed.

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
After a lot of hemming & hawing, I sprang for the Dunlop Mini. I really like it. It's a really solid pedal, heavy for its small size. It even included the allen wrench needed to adjust the pedal tension, which I cranked up to make it fairly stiff. The sweep is quite a bit wider than that of a Cry Baby, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Since I started looking for an expression pedal, I found that this is the same one Andy Timmons uses with his Halo, and I can see why.

Happy Camper.

Last edited: