Explorer with M16 Carry handle

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It's certainly unique and good job on the design! No doubt this would appeal to a hard rocker for sure. As far as export - If it were me I'd err on the side of caution there and probably not entertain the idea. The laws are too vague for most to interpret, so I'd not step in that merky water... just my 2 cents ;)

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
You could make the handle look real enough without actually using a real one.

Less expensive, less legal questions.

Where does the bayonet mount?

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It's cool looking. I prefer to keep my guitars as guitars and guns as guns. That said, the design is slick and it's obvious you've put a lot of time and thought into it.

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
The headstock could be made to look like a 1911.

Flip a switch to the 3rd position and it plays a snare roll sample.

Definitely needs a similarly styled switch.

Last edited:

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I am making military-design inspired bass and guitar in this thread;
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/military-design-inspired-bass-guitar.1070050/

Before came up with these body construction idea, I've went through some failed prototypes. One of the failed ones was an Explorer style guitar. I decided to resurrect the body by applying the same basic design approach.
Here is some mock-up pictures. What do you think?

F13EX1.jpg

F13EX2.jpg

F13EX3.jpg

F13EX4.jpg

Stupid question is, is it okay to export the M16 carry handle to any countries?

Gotta give you credit for that...and the headstock

Mandocaster68

Tele-Meister
My two cents...
Design wise, I don't see a lot here that says 'black rifle' aside from the add on handle. You have an interesting body going on, but to my eye, the handle looks like something just screwed on to try to make it look bad ass.
It doesn't fit with the rest of whats happening.

The guitar is unique enough without the handle.

KisekaeVIM

TDPRI Member
Thank you for the feedback and thank you for checking the export rules. It seems there won't be any legal issue but I will make sure by test shipping a handle to my friend in Japan. Japan has the most strict gun law in the world so if the Japanese custom accepts it, I can safely assume there is no issue at all.

>I like the side trim, I assume aluminum?

No, that part will be either wood or ABS

>What’s the inspiration behind the military influence? Personal military history?

Nothing really.. I just thought it would be cool, at least for me.

>Sell the design to Schecter. They’ll call it the Warlocks Weapon, paint it camo and sell thousands.

It would be great if I can work with a maker or a guitar builder in my neighbor. Right now I am the only person in the shop.

KisekaeVIM

TDPRI Member
BTW, the Carry handle may draw too much of people's attention. Most people would think "What the xxxx???" when he or she saw it. (either positively or negatively...) If you are too shy, you can stay home or remove the handle. Here is some pics without the handle. Now it is a VERY traditional looking guitar.

f13ex5.jpg

put some decals using Photoshop
f13ex6.jpg

f13ex5-2.jpg

f13ex5-3.jpg

with my other 'on-going' guitar M16 Harrier
f13ex7.jpg

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's

Before came up with these body construction idea, I've went through some failed prototypes. One of the failed ones was an Explorer style guitar. I decided to resurrect the body by applying the same basic design approach.

F13EX1.jpg

F13EX2.jpg

F13EX3.jpg

F13EX4.jpg

It’s not for me but I have an open mind and I totally dig it. What about something more like the Gibson Moderne? And I would think anything to do with guns nowadays is not a stupid question because so many people go overboard, I would imagine you could be mistaken for a lord of war. Just be careful of your pronunciation should you start belting out a couple choruses of Bobby Hebb’s “Sunni” yesterday my life was filled with rain...ha!

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's

F13EX1.jpg

F13EX2.jpg

F13EX3.jpg

F13EX4.jpg

Try that carry-on handle getting on a plane if you get to your destination...ha. Like I said elsewhere it’s not my cup of tea but I definitely see its appeal and it looks like a better quality instrument, opposed to a novelty which I guess could still be great quality. I could see a Touch of Ibanez iceman on the lower bout, obviously an explorer or destroyer for the body and Firebird for the midsection. I think the headstock looks completely fine if not pretty darn Parker “Fly”. I could see Sliders, like a graphic EQ on there, For possibly the volume or even a whole EQ Definitely somewhere a red ‘safety’ may be a kill switch? Rifle or machine gun style sling/strap? Tripod stand? I’m not gonna say barrel knobs!!! 00ops!

Last edited: