explain the Clapton thing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Apr 7, 2017.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

What a great track! Thanks for sharing.

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I initially replied to
    I literally couldn’t listen to Clapton’s, Cocaine for decades! This factor became evident at the advent of FM classic rock stations. They were just beginning to formulate those overplayed lists of one-time/some-time, great songs. Also, adding the ironic & unfortunate lyrical content of the subject matter, it became “personal”. Over 30 years later, I finally got to see it’s writer, the great, JJ Cale, in concert...his live take on his composition, inevitably rescued it from my poisoned memory banks

3. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Jann Wenner - a big "thumbs down". Not a big fan of his.

4. knopflerfan

Robbie's arrogance really shows on the interview portion of "The Last Waltz". Nonetheless, I do like The Band - really good music that I can listen to all day.

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  5. knopflerfan

The studio cut of "The Core" is one of my favorite "groove" songs - great, great playing.

8barlouie likes this.
  6. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Wait.
    Cocaine wasn't originally a Clapton song?
    Dang. I like that song.
    I'm not a fan of the unplugged version of Layla.

7. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

I was never a huge Clapton fan
    Everybodys tastes are different
    When i started,80’s,90’s i was playing heavyer music and Zeppelin and Sabbath were the old timers
    Metallica and Slayer had just made heavyer in your face music acceptable as an category of rock
    So Clapton and the likes werent on the radar
    But as i got older and actually learned somethings instead of thinking i knew somethings my taste change
    Music i never liked became likable or more understandable
    Someone like Clapton I realized is bery talented in other ways from say EVH,or Rhandy Rhodes
    I listened and started to understand that guitar playing doesn’t have to be fast or difficult to be good
    Or it doesn’t have to something noones ever herd before,you can put your own spin on timeless classics
    I realized that Clapton was super tight,,didnt use effects to cover up or manipulate technique,,or pick a 1000mph to his point across
    As a matter of fact he very rarely if ever made a sour note,,he gets more across with timing and clarity then shredding
    I also took that in my own playing and found it much harder for me to slow down take my time make each note count and that proper form and technique take more out of you while putting more in your music

So even today im not a huge Clapton fan,,,but i thank him for opening my eyes to another side of guitar playing that made and makes me a better player

8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.