1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

explain the Clapton thing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Apr 7, 2017.

1. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

No, he didn't.

"By the end of 1965, Jimmy had played with several marquee acts, including Ike and Tina Turner, Sam Cooke, the Isley Brothers, and Little Richard. Jimmy parted ways with Little Richard to form his own band, Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, shedding the role of back-line guitarist for the spotlight of lead guitar."

All that before John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers w/ Eric Clapton was even available. Maybe he learned some stuff from Ike Turner and showed it to Ernie Isley, but it was all from Buddy Guy anyway.

http://jimihendrix.com/biography/

Piggy Stu, Uncle Bob and vid1900 like this.
  2. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Reading though this has been great. I never got Clapton Either but have been spending considerable time with his material lately. I'm 29, been playin since I was 11. My first guitar hero was Hendrix (I like frusciante so it was a natural transition), then Jeff Beck, Roy Buchanan... Then I skipped to Fripp, Belew, Benson... Jazz fusion. Now I've returned to the roots, Les Paul, Jimmy Bryant, Chet, early rock leading into the 60s.. Clapton IMO was the ideal marriage of the lyricism and melodic pop sensibility of guitar music that preceded him and the raw fire-breathing power of the new era of electric rock...truly an unparalleled innovator

3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I hear lots of detractors saying 'Oh it's easy to play his solos'. From memory maybe - but just try playing along with his records and matching his superb timing / phrasing / bends / vibrato perfectly. Not so easy now, eh?

knopflerfan likes this.
  4. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

Way too easy.

Out of all the so called "guitar gods" EC is by far the easiest to emulate.

Every Friday and Saturday night, at 10,000 pubs across the world, some cover band is playing a perfect note-for-note version of "Cocaine". Absolutely perfect, but usually with a better singer.

At those same pubs, those same guitarists are trying hard with Jimi's "Little Wing", Buckethead's "Jordan", Trower's "Day of the Eagle" and Yingwie's "Far Beyond the Sun". I mean, they take a good stab at those songs, but they just can not quite get the **liquidity** of the masters.

5. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

...I'm not talking 'Cocaine' - rather the second solo in the live 'Crossroads' / Studio 'Spoonful' / Studio 'Badge', etc. If Eric was so average, how come Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker wanted him? For 'emulate', read 'approximate'. A big difference.

DonM and viccortes285 like this.
  6. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

Disagreeing is fine, but you seem to be missing the point. Those barroom players also miss the "liquidity" of clapton.

But you seem to not like Clapton generally, so that's ok.

7. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

IMHO, this sounds like it's from your high horse, looking down on we mere mortal masses who think highly of Clapton and that is a burr in your saddle . . . why? Jealousy, perhaps? :)

DonM likes this.
  8. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

working...ain't ...right

9. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm here for the Robbie Robertson bashing. My contribution to that comes via Levon's book, in which he talked a lot about the Last Waltz, and how Robertson took over the whole production, with the help of Scorcese. I recall that Robertson and Scorcese shared a house during the film's editing phase. One of the things that Levon hated was how Robertson would pretend to conduct the band by swinging the guitar up and down for "cues," which was completely for show, as the Band didn't need to be conducted by anyone. It is a strictly ego move to do that as a guitar player, except for very rare, very special circumstances, but not throughout the regular course of every song.

I have to repeat what Ronnie Hawkins said after a screening of the film: "There's not enough Robbie!"

I'm operating strictly from memory cells, so I might not be exactly right on the details. But, boy, did Levon have a lot of resentment toward Robertson, going back to the issue of songwriting credits.

10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, I guess I would point to an old interview Muzz Skillings did with Guitar For The Practicing Musician. I'm paraphrasing here, but Muzz was talking about how he was playing stuff like Jaco's bass lines, and getting all cocky about it, like "it's not so special, I can do that". Until his brother said "sure, you can play it, but can you write it?"

Again, you feel it or you don't, and neither side is "wrong". But I don't see any reason to denigrate the guy either.

11. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

OK, you guys are getting way too defensive.

Let's look at it this way (and try to see my point).............(c'mon, at least try).

===============================================

Out of all the "guitar gods" worshiped today:

Hendrix

Yingwie Malmsteen

Robin Trower

Buckethead

SRV

Tony McAlpine

Ritchie Blackmore

Carlos Santana

Randy Rhodes

Larry Carlton

EVH (I know, but somebody will like this...)

Al DiMeola

-

Eric Clapton is BY FAR the easiest to play, right?

You can't name another "Top 10 guitar god" who is easier to play, can you?

You can't name another "Top 10 guitar god" that plays no other scales than pentatonic, can you?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Holic

Yeah you remembered it the way Levon told it, but to be fair you should read Robbie's book too. It may not change anything, but still.

Oh wait, you forgot to mention how Levon gave Robbie a ration of **** over his haircut.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

I have to agree 100% here...it's one thing to copy what somebody great did....it's a completely different ball game to be the person that created it.
    If I were to copy the Mona Lisa does that mean I have the same talent and genius as DaVinci? Hardly....

Fiesta Red, richiek65 and Piggy Stu like this.
  14. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

You mean the riff Duane Allman came up with?

Area51 and vid1900 like this.
  15. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Levon's book is my favorite rock bio. I know he's biased and a little bit of a jerk, but he's my kind of jerk.

I should read Robbie's book before Scorsese makes a movie out of it.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  16. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

I just got a funny email from one of you guys.

I'll state right now that I have seen EC six times live, and have ALL of his albums.

So as an EC consumer who has put 1000s of pounds into his coffers....I stated my case.

No one here is going to change anyone's mind.

If you love EC and believe he is God - you are going to keep believing.

If you think that his best days were 50 years ago - I doubt any new material is going to come out to change your mind.

17. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Quite seriously, this is why I don;t read those books anymore.
    I don't think it is healthy to get personally invested in some inside baseball backbiting. Otherwise I'd be going on and on about Mr. Clapton financing the maintenance of his Antigua getaway with the Crossroads, and how I can't find one person who has ever been there or gotten a "scholarship" ( I understand it's "confidential") and the extremely expensive stock equipment selling for outrageous prices as "Sig", and how he kind of feeds that beast with fat.

Maybe we caN DO SANTANA NEXT ? (DANN CAPS key)
    [​IMG]

Uncle Bob likes this.
  18. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

So, I'm trying... Your point is, that the guy that's hardest to copy, is therefore, the best; and if you can copy someone, they suck. Hmmm. Out of that list of yours, I would say the reason 10,000 people copy Mr C every night is because they love his music, and so do many, many people. Besides EC, SRV and Santana, I don't see too many people try to play their music, not because they can't, but because they don't want to. I haven't seen too many Buckethead cover bands, have you?

As Ron R pointed out, being able to copy something is not the same as inventing it. Trolling is not the same as having a compelling opinion.

I'm fairly certain Hendrix didn't write Sunshine of Your Love, so he must have learned it from someone, ness pa?

knopflerfan and RLee77 like this.
  19. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

"I'm fairly certain Hendrix didn't write Sunshine of Your Love, so he must have learned it from someone, ness pa?"

Hair splitting will get you nowhere.
    Jimi Hendrix didn't learn to play the guitar by listening to Eric Clapton. He didn't learn "the Blues" form Eric Clapton.He knew who Eric Clapton was. He liked his playing, and enjoyed his music. He admired and wanted to meet and hang with Clapton. He played Claptons riffs as a tribute .
    But Hendrix, as I have pointed out, was already in and out of the army and had toured and made records with a bevy of famous and influential bands before ANYONE had ever heard of Eric Clapton in the US.

And I am correcting the record by reconnecting my original answer with the comment it was actually directed toward.

"
    Blue Bill said:
    Hendrix learned from Clapton,

Jimash said:
    No, he didn't.

"By the end of 1965, Jimmy had played with several marquee acts, including Ike and Tina Turner, Sam Cooke, the Isley Brothers, and Little Richard. Jimmy parted ways with Little Richard to form his own band, Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, shedding the role of back-line guitarist for the spotlight of lead guitar."

All that before John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers w/ Eric Clapton was even available. Maybe he learned some stuff from Ike Turner and showed it to Ernie Isley, but it was all from Buddy Guy anyway.

http://jimihendrix.com/biography/

"

RoyBGood, Linc Gray and Blue Bill like this.
  20. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Shrug. It's not like anyone here or elsewhere gets to decide if EC is deserving of his music legend status. The world has already voted, and the results have been in for quite some time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.