1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

explain the Clapton thing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Apr 7, 2017.

1. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

60 here, so my perspective....Many, like my wife and I love EC, in almost any form, from Blind Faith on. To us, his music is timeless. Layla album still sounds fresh to me...lol, the Clapton-Winwood show is incredible.
    We saw him live doing Journeyman, then Unplugged, and lastly, a few years ago, with a stripped down band. On stage, he seems to be a humble man.
    He has surely survived demons that have taken so many great artists way too soon. His life is such an open book that many of us would have a hard time walking out in public.
    On Larry King, asked about a higher power up there(King actually waved his hand up in the air), EC commented that he believed in God and got down on his knees every morning and thanked Him for his sobriety.
    I listen to music a lot and can't imagine a week without some Clapton, in any form.

2. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

I wasn't "there" since I'm 44y/o but I still enjoy Clapton. I've listened to a lot of his material over the years. I can't say that he directly influenced me. But he influenced the guys that influenced me. Still I enjoy much of what he has accomplished over the years. Obviously the earlier stuff is a bit more "fiery"....that's just youth. Even in his later years when he mellowed out his songs were still damn good for the most part. I especially like the entire unplugged album. My wife and I put it on, on those summer nights in the backyard and build a fire and just relax....good stuff.

Route67 likes this.
  3. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I wonder if the presence of "King Guitar" (Hendrix) during most of this time allowed Clapton room to be especially creative. No longer being absolute 'top dog guitar slinger' perhaps took some pressure of expectation off and gave him room to collaborate more equally with other musicians. A blessing in disguise?

Anode100, gigs and dkmw like this.
  4. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

^ That's an interesting hypothesis.

gtrjunior and Route67 like this.
  5. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

No joke,
    Roy Clark's left foot is as big as Clapton's entire body. Hee Haw!!!

Agitator, vid1900 and McGlamRock like this.
  6. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

This and Just One Night, a live album from 1980. Add in the Layla album. Even if Cream does nothing for you, some of this will.

24 track likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

All in all, you don't have to "get" Eric Clapton. You can dismiss, criticize lambaste, marginalize and scoff to your heart's content.

But if a guy is endorsed by and/or deemed good enough to play or record with:
    Muddy and Buddy and BB & Freddie & Albert (The Kings) and Otis and another Albert (He of the Weirdly Shaped Ernie Ball) and George (the Dark Horse Himself) and Mark (The Sultan of Swing) and Billy (the Reverend Himself) and Stevie (both the Fedora-Bearer and the One Who Rolls With It) and Jimmie (The Bad Boy T-Bird) and another Jimmy (Who's a bit Reed-y) and Mick & Keef & Brian & another Mick & Ronnie & Bill & Charlie and John (the Bluesbreaker Himself) and Delaney and Duane (the Skydog) and Andy (who is both Fairweather and Low) and Robert (the Strong Persuader) and the Dr. (Mac) and Doyle I and Doyle II and Derek (who's Truckin' Along) and...

Well, who are they to disagree with you...

You,
    who's undoubtedly contributed more than any of the individuals listed above?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  8. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

That intro riff to Layla is so friggin' cool.

Agitator likes this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

one of the most important aspects of the early clapton era and he by no means had any redeaming features back then, was his timming all of the so called guitar gods of that era did what they did with out all of the fancy equipt we have now basically guitar curly cable maybe a wah wah, maybe a sustainer and if you were english, a marshall or Vox from the states, fender. so to hear Beck play some of the sounds he got with the yardbirds was all technique and imagination. same with Clapton etc. but becuase of them we have our toys today!

Route67 and tgalante like this.
  10. dkmw

Legend/story has it that they were working on the song and needed an intro riff. Duane went off in room by himself and came up with those seven notes.

11. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

I thought duane got it from Albert King- its a sped up version of this, plus some extra-

12. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

If you don't "get" Clapton based on his body of work, how would an internet discussion possibly persuade you?

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Skydog wrote that riff...I skipped to this without reading the post reactions

viccortes285 and McGlamRock like this.
  14. dkmw

I could see that being in the back of Duane's head, thanks for the link.

viccortes285 likes this.
  15. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I guess that doesn't surprise me too much- Duane's all over that record

16. dkmw

^IMHO the whole of Layla album is one of the greatest collaborations of all time.

17. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

And I think "being in the back of Duane's head" is a good way of putting how songwriting and influence and ideas and adaptation and all that works.

dkmw likes this.
  18. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This is just like the threads claiming that Hendrix is boring, the Beatles are lame. etc, etc. Dude, you had to be there. I still remember exactly where I was when White Room came on the radio; it blew me away; unlike anything post 1980 has done. The reason he sounds cliche to young people is because, now, he is. Every musician since 1969 has been influenced by Clapton. Every one. He invented much of what is taken for granted in rock and pop music, so of course, his music sounds like other people's, they learned it from him.

As far as copying the old blues guys, not one of them had anywhere near the impact on the music world; not even close. Hendrix learned from Clapton, then Clapton learned from him, what's the problem with that?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    gigs, Frank'n'censed and tgalante like this.
  19. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Somewhat, but not quite the 7 notes that introduce "Layla".

viccortes285 likes this.
  20. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

Yeah. Its a little melodic nugget that gets transformed into a fierce, overdriven riff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.