1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

explain the Clapton thing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Apr 7, 2017.

1. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

I am the guy who said he was blown away...
    Obviously what we are discussing here is a question of preference, or "liking" and we all know that in that type of a discussion there is no right or wrong.
    I read an article the other day, an interview with John Etheridge, a fusion player who actually was living in London at the time the whole Clapton thing first started. He said something I've never heard expressed quite in this way , and I think it really puts the whole thing in perspective. He was talking about how at that time Clapton (and Hendrix) were actually at a genius level, doing things nobody had really done before and that nobody else at that time was capable of doing. He went on to say that while Clapton has always been a great artist, he was not able to maintain the genius level of the early days. Nobody can maintain that level for very long.
    With all due respect to Freddy King, he was after all the writer of Hideaway, I hear a genius in Eric's playing from that era that nobody can match. It blew my mind as an adolescent player, but still does today, just the phrasing, tone and in-the-moment feeling of artistic freedom. Of course everybody is entitled to their opinion, that's what this forum is all about.....

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Now I have to give Clapton his due, on two points.
    Firstly, that Derreck and the Dominoes album had more to do with shaping my musicality than any one other single thing.
    Cut my teeth on that, almost to the point of exclusively.

Secondly, unlike some of his British cohorts, he would reveal where his American influences came from, so I could reverse engineer it all.
    As my ears were first hit by the British versions, as likely many here were.
    Looking back, I don't consider him quite the pioneer of anything, that I might have then.
    That does not in any way take away from his discography, nor his sense of phrasing.

richiek65 likes this.
  3. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I'm not here to defend Roy Clark, but to praise him.

knopflerfan, drlucky, Ira7 and 2 others like this.
  4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think a lot of singers are tough on themselves that way.

I certainly am.

Ira7 likes this.
  5. ac15

Yes, but I suspect it had less to do with admiration and more to do with wanting to take down the biggest baddest guy on the block.

6. ac15

That's shocking!

Not that SRV put you to sleep, but the fact that there any females who listen to that music.

Prolly no chicks within miles of a Joe Bonamassa concert!

cboutilier and drlucky like this.
  7. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Or, it could have just been about networking. Why does everything have to be competition?

8. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

I think a little of both. There's the time Cream announced their breakup and the Experience launched into Sunshine of Your Love and Jimi praised them as some groovy cats or something. There's also the time that Jimi played through the Sgt. Pepper album the day or next day after it came out with at least one beatle in the audience. It was a tribute, sure, but it also said look what I can do.

In any event, EC loved Jimi but was also thrown for a loop and Jimi had him thinking what am I doing wasting my life on electric guitar, I'm nothing, THAT's an electric guitar player. It was a contributing factor in EC going the 70's singer song-writer route.

Linc Gray, Piggy Stu and Route67 like this.
  9. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

Apart from being fine players, a lot of the contribution of people like Clapton, Bloomfield, et al –even Elvis– lies in Sandhill's point about their carrying the music out of the past, out of the chitlin circuit, & out of the city into millions of whitebread suburban teenage bedrooms, where it had never been before. It felt like the music was being delivered by Gawd.

This is a socio–entertainment racial–integration phenomenon which tries to happen every twenty, thirty years or so. It tends to get co–opted by the usual suspects.

Regarding what came after being rather a rehash, it might instead be a celebration of finally being able to take a stab at something inspirational, once you've been shown it.

I've heard people unsuccessfully tried to run a four–minute mile for years before Roger Bannister finally did it in 1954. After that, many were able to accomplish what suddenly had become demonstrably possible.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  10. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

If anyone wants a fun little read, Buddy Guy's autobiography is good and speaks to some of this. He talks about a period (I think the end of the 60's) when he wasn't earning a living full time from music and was doing a combination of playing, managing clubs and driving a tow truck. He said that if something didn't change soon, he'd probably have to give up playing. And then, something did change. White people started playing blues and white audiences wanted to hear it, so artists like himself were getting invited to play at big rock festivals with white audiences.

11. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

If any of today's guitarist don't admit that they are standing on the shoulders of BB.K... MUDDY... ALBERT... ROBERT JOHNSON ETC... CLAPTON... BECK... HENDRIX... PAGE.HARRISON AND MANY OTHERS then they really don't understand what they are playing....IMHO...I was fortunate enough to be 18 in 1968....…perfect timing.
    Cheers.

t guitar floyd, RLee77 and Uncle Bob like this.
  12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I know that EC had/has a ton of respect for The Band, and has credited MFBP for a shift in his thinking about his career. I think that Robbie is a little grandiose throughout this performance though, and maybe that's coloring my interpretation.

drlucky likes this.
  13. ebb soul

Robbie has always been grandiose .
    'Cos he's an asshat.
    I lay the bands demise at his feet.

14. ac15

I'm not making anything about competition.

In fact, I find the whole "guitar slinger" thing annoying.

Just stating what I have read / heard about Hendrix in that regard.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

interesting theory, start a thread about it

16. ac15

Sorry, no Bonamassa threads for me.

They always end up somewhere bad.

Easywombat, Anode100 and Linc Gray like this.
  17. ebb soul

Interestingly, there was no gal within a 1/4 mile of Page, when he went solo. I worked those shows.
    Total sausage fest.

ac15 and Agitator like this.
  18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

hahaha, tell me about it

I'm surprised this thread has gone on for a while, but I guess when you say "Clapton" guitarists are going to put down their guitars and form a firing squad

- pffth, derivative
    - he sold out and went pop, unforgivable
    - dude wtf, early Clapton rules!
    - you had to be there, if I remember it correctly
    - Pattie Boyd! omg!
    - it's about his legacy, you ungrateful peon
    - etc.

one of the things that I liked a lot was learning how articulate Clapton has been about what he was doing -- I honestly admire his unpretentious dedication to craft

and I'm kicking myself that it took me this long to listen to the Derek stuff, which is smokin'

so that'll be the last thing I'll say

19. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In retrospect you're right, of course. The whole Hollywood thing appealed to Robertson. No reason the Band couldn't continue. His ego got in the way. In fact, it's still in the way.

drlucky and ebb soul like this.
  20. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

Boy, this has gone horribly wrong! You misunderstood me completely, perhaps I didn't express it very well. I'm well aware of the cultural significance of all these you mentioned and more. What I meant is that saying "you can only understand this if you were there at the time" seems to come from a place of self-appointed superiority, which I'm not a fan of. That's what I meant by "cheap shot". I don't believe that you had to be there to appreciate the significance of events (though of course it won't be exactly the same experience)
    Does this make more sense?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.