1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

explain the Clapton thing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Apr 7, 2017.

1. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

That's it right there... Just what I was going to say .....Totally blew my mind when I first heard this !!

viccortes285 and jimash like this.
  2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I bet the people who played this consider themselves to not be as good as Freddy King

If you knew Freddy 10 years before this it would seem quaint from them to be copying him

He isn't quite Vanilla Ice but this is a cover

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I just thought I would defend Roy Clark a little.
    He was fairly well slighted in this thread.
    I saw him play blues on a banjo, a feat slow hand cannot do.

P Thought, jimash, Uncle Bob and 2 others like this.
  4. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

Cover. Tribute. Homage. I don't think EC would tell you differently.

5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I don't think he would either. I have a lot of respect for the guy

This was a reply to the guy who said he was blown away. The original is a lot better to me

viccortes285 likes this.
  6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Do you mean the real Roy Clark or Roy Buchanan aka Roy Clark?:rolleyes: To slight either one is an oversight IMO. Both guys had chops for days. My favorite guitar player of all time is Roy Buchanan. He didn't have a larger than life stage presence. He could barely sing a lick. (Mostly talked) He was hardly known because what he cared about most was playing that Telecaster. Anyway I would put either one of those Roys against EC in a show down any time. And you can throw Glenn Campbell in as a bonus! Nothing against EC. He's awesome.

Uncle Bob and ebb soul like this.
  7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ha! I trolled a bunch of my friends on fb proclaiming Pearl Jam was undeserving of being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

8. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Cool story, bro?

9. ripgtr

ripgtr Tele-Holic

Ask Skynyrd. I hear a HUGE Cream/clapton influence.
    Listen to the first Cream album. Realize this is two years after the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan doing "I want to hold your hand".

oldgofaster and ndcaster like this.
  10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

that's funny, but I really wasn't trying to troll anyone

all of our listening histories are different, and Clapton was both just a gap in mine and a real puzzle because my ears grew up post-EVH, when "Clapton" was known to guys in my generation as the Clapton of "Layla," "Cocaine," and "Lay Down Sally," i.e., not the fiery blues virtuoso that laid down a template

I've been very grateful for the recommendations on this thread and all the talk about the context in 1966

that Live at the Fillmore 1970 is great -- and despite the sad stories of nearly all who were on the bandstand there, that band *cooked* like the dickens

viccortes285 and neckradius like this.
  11. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

I don't know much of Roy Clark, but I do know Roy BUchanan and I think he's amazing and one of the true this will blow you away type guitar players. But the idea of putting "one of those Roys against EC in a show down any time," well, it depends what the showdown is. I mean, yeah, I might put my money on Roy B for a five song set, but after that set is done, EC could play well liked material for another three days, to sold out arenas filled with music fans who are not guitar nerds. There's something to be said for that. That counts.

I love Roy and some of those videos out there of him really, really move me. But I'd also put him in a category with so many other talented and super talented guitarists, sort of an all dressed up with nowhere to go thing. No singing, marginal songs, brief burst of output, etc. Take a guy like Eric Johnson. Amazing tone, amazing technique. I'm not going to a show to hear tone or technique, I'm going to hear the whole package.

viccortes285 and 8barlouie like this.
  12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't think Bucanan needed defending.
    Weren't all the best bluesers on Alligator records?
    Anyways, Bill Lawrence told me he was his favorite.

13. 8barlouie

I'm ambivalent about Pearl Jam being inducted. They definitely deserve to be in there IMO, but what about a lot of others who are not? I'm not going to publish a list, but look it up- it's long and distiguished. The other thing is, to be inducted kinda comes with a connotation that it's over for you. I'm kinda fond of these guys, especially McCready. JMO, but Jann Wenner is a for-profit brisket head.

14. 8barlouie

Yup, you got me. I'm a guitar nerd. I have to admit, after listening to RB for a five song set, my ears start getting sore.

viccortes285 and neckradius like this.
  15. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

hey, the 90s were thin in terms of quality

; )

16. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

No joke, Roy Clark has more talent in his left foot that Clampton has in his entire body.

drlucky likes this.
  17. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

Well, that settles it.

18. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Compared to what's coming out today, I'll gladly take the output of the 90's again. At least people played and wrote their own instruments/music. (Mostly...lol)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Ira7, 2 Headed Goat and 8barlouie like this.
  19. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’ll take your word for it but to someone my age it seems nearly impossible that a guitarist of any age could be ignorant of what brought Eric Clapton to worldwide prominence.

richiek65 and RoyBGood like this.
  20. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is an interesting take on this performance. Maybe the first time I've heard this perspective. Clearly, after you read all the books and articles surrounding the Last Waltz, it is a movie to show case Robertson. Since all the key members of The Band are gone, Robertson commands center stage in all discussions. He is not bashful about taking credit for sure. That said I think the playing on this piece is great by both players. Clapton had a lot of respect for Robertson and the Band and arguably became a more complete player once he started paying attention to Big Pink. The only issue I have with the song is that Levon wasn't singing it.

Uncle Bob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.