1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Explain 52 Tele Reissue selector switch

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele Joe, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Tele Joe

Tele Joe Tele-Meister

I just picked up a 52 Tele Reissue and it's the nicest guitar i've ever played in my opinion but I need help figuring out the selector switch. I know the first position controls the bridge pickup. The middle position controls the neck pickup with tone and volume controls. The 3rd position i'm not really sure what's going on. I think it's the neck pickup with no controls.

Could someone please explain in some detail.

Also, I am aware it comes with a wiring kit to wire it to a modern set up but is this worth doing? I think it sounds kind of cool the way it is and wouldn't want to lose the dark tone of the 3rd setting unless I could get the same tone by rolling down the tone knob when it's wired with the modern set up.

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

When the switch is all the way up the signal is ran thru a cap that makes it simulate a bass guitar. You can only control the volume.

Thats the way they did it in 52 so thats how the reissue is.

What they should really do is wire it modern and have the parts to make it into the dark vintage circut which is what its called.

This causes alot of confusion in stores too cause people who arent aware think the guitar sounds too bassy and sometimes overlook it for another model when all it really needed were a few wires switched around.

3. bandeapart

bandeapart Tele-Meister

If they did that, the purists would just complain about the "modern"ness to it.

4. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mark is right (of course), but I'd like to add a couple of things.

If you wire it to "modern", you get both pickups together in the middle position, and the neck pickup with a tone control in the neck position (the same you now have in the middle position).

The dark vintage circuit can be obtained by rolling off the tone control when the switch is in the neck position, so you really don't loose anything by doing the wiring.

5. Tele Joe

Tele Joe Tele-Meister

Ok thanks for the info. I understood before I purchased that you didn't get a modern middle position with both pickups. I think i'm going to have it wired up the modern way. I understand some people may want to leave it in it's vintage setting but I think i'll get more out of it by changing it.

6. Telemarkman

You're absolutely right about that! :cool:

7. Mark Davis

Your right. But do the purists outnumber 6 pack joe the regular GC customer who isnt as aware of all these features.

Ive seen lots of messages where people said they tried a 52ri but it was so bassy on the neck pickup they got something else. The saleperson and the customer were unaware of the vintage wiring.

When Wildwood and alot of other stores do a custom run of Nocasters with 9.5 radius necks and big frets and stuff like that they sometimes request the modern wiring from the factory.

It would be interesting to see how many people left theirs stock or converted to modern.

I like em both ways myself and Roy Buchanan sure didnt have any probs getting the sounds he liked using the dark vintage wiring.

8. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

I never converted mine to modern wiring.

You can still get both pickups on by carefully setting the switch in-between the middle and to the rear positions, sort of like how guys got Strat quack sounds before 5-way switches.

9. olewichita

olewichita Friend of Leo's

mark, roy's most famous guitar sr. # 2324 was altered by being somewhat defective... first, the middle and neck position were both the neck setting with volume and tone fully working...there was some unusual bass/treble filter thing going on with that position... i don't remember what it exactly was but don mare explained it to me and it definitely wasn't what it "should" be and was part of what made the guitar sound like it sounded... tj

10. Mark Davis

All I know is Seymour Duncan took his 53 Tele schematic right from Roys guitar Nancy and its just the dark vintage wiring. Ive seen all kinds of writeups on Roys guitars and Don is the only one who mentioned anything weird about the wiring.

I do know of a story who knows if its true that Roy took Nancy to Gatton cause it needed a pot and when he got it back it didnt sound the same and he accused Gatton of changing the pickups. After that he didnt use Nancy.

Maybe someone did mess with Roys guitar later on but l would think it would have been stock when Duncan did the schematic in the 70's.

11. Telemarkman

Can't say for certain if "Nancy" had the stock wiring (though I've always believed so), but at least I've never seen him use the neck switch position - only bridge and middle, which would be bridge and neck pickup respectively on a stock wired '53 Tele.

12. Tele Joe

Tele Joe Tele-Meister

I just started playing guitar seriously about a year ago so i'm definetly Joe the Regular at GC. I read online about the pickup switch but didn't really understand when I went in to try the instrument. I told the salesrep that the neck pickup didn't sound right and that I thought something was wrong. He at least had enough sense to ask the guitar tech there what was going on and the guitar tech filled me in on what was going on but his explanation was poor which is why I came here for the answer.

Knowing the reason why it's like that actually enhances the apeal of the instrument to me. I still wish they would have wired it modern and put in a kit for the vintage setup. Either way it's a great sounding guitar and more often then not i'm playing on the bridge pickup anyway. The tech at GC said he charges $35 bucks to make the switch but I think I can get the guy doing my setup to do it for cheaper.

Side Story: The wiring kit was not in the case when I brought the guitar home. When I contacted guitar center they told me I had to call fender. Of course fender said straight up GC should have just given me a kit and that they stock them. The fender guy was great though and is shipping one to my house.

13. Mark Davis

Same here I have tons of Roy videos and havent noticed him using the all the way up switch position at all. Just the middle which is the neck with tone and bridge.

14. PeterJ

PeterJ Tele-Meister

I used to like the dark circuit of my AVRI52 as it was perfect for using my ebow, being dark toned and lower in volume. I also just liked the olden days trick having to take the trouble to find the combined sound with the switch between the bridge and neck.

Then two things happened: I got a Jazzmaster which has a separate circuit I can set for the ebow with perfect accuracy which is a switch away, and my Tele's neck pickup weakened out (see my post in Tech-talk) and I took that as an opportunity to wire it up modern. Completely in love with the modern wiring on the Tele now. And the ebow is happy turning the Jazzmaster into a monster drone machine. Nice to have the choice.

PeterJ

15. Mark Davis

When you buy stuff at GC you rarely get the right case candy cause they sell the case seperate and whoever buys just the case gets all the candy.

What they should really do when they sell a case is bag all the candy and write the serial # and model of the guitar it belongs to so whoever buys the guitar does get all the right case candy.

16. Tele Joe

Tele Joe Tele-Meister

This is usually the case. In fact previously I bought a tweed case and received all the case candy and manual for who knows what guitar. In my situation however the only 52 RI they had in stock was boxed so I saw it come out of the cardboard box guitar, case, and case candy. I guess it was Fenders mistake but still Fender felt GC should have just given me a wiring kit and billed them.

17. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister

+1 on leaving the wiring stock. While it shouldn't affect the tones in the guitar now, Im afraid to change it because that guitar sounds absolutely perfect. Hitting the middle position in the heat of battle is tricky, but it gets easier as you get to know the instrument and the switch eventually wears a flat spot where you keep hanging it up. It's kind of like breaking in the sticky neck--all part of making it your very own. But most people do prefer the modern wiring, it's true.

18. Tele Joe

Tele Joe Tele-Meister

Let me Hijack my own thread for a minute here. The guitar came out of the box with 10s. Is there a reason for this? Most guitars i've tried come with 9s and i'm very comfortable playing 9s. I've read online that for tone this guitar should have 10s. Any opinions?

19. Mark Davis

Here is what the 52ri's used to come with in the case.

Strap
    guitar to amp cable 50's style
    6 saddle bridge
    wiring kit with cap and 1meg pot
    Owners manual and COA.

They quit the COA a few years ago but it should have everything else I listed.

Mine had all those things I listed.

20. Tele Joe

Tele Joe Tele-Meister

I love the tone of my guitar. Is there any chance that wiring it up modern could mess with the tone at all or is that impossible?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.