Expert opinions - is this a crack that was repaired?

slick4772

Tele-Meister
I purchased a B stock Player Strat (disclosed by the seller) - and when it arrived, upon inspection I noticed what LOOKS like a crack that was repaired. I've never seen a guitar with this kind of defect - perhaps someone else has. I can't imagine that Fender would allow this to go out as B stock. I may contact their customer service to find out - but I'm interested in others' opinions. I can tell you that you can't feel anything when you touch it - no divot - it's completely smooth. The line is so straight - it just seems odd that it wouldn't spread to the headstock where the wood is thinner. I also considered whether it was just a result of sun fading - like that neck was covered by something and the wood was faded by the sun, but I don't think that's it. It almost looks like the chatoyance from a flamed neck when you look at it from different angles - but I know that isn't it. There is a definite line.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_6508.jpg
    IMG_6508.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_6509.jpg
    IMG_6509.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 222

Greg70

Tele-Holic
It doesn't look like a crack to me either. The fact that it is dead straight and almost down the centerline make me think it might be an imperfection in the finishing. I'm assuming the fretboard side is okay? This should be a one piece neck if it's a maple fingerboard.

slick4772

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the replies. Again - even though it is B stock, I refuse to believe that Fender would glue a neck crack. I am starting to believe that it was from tooling and they used some filler before spraying the clear.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
Looks like a slight ridge from the two adjacent passes of the shaper when the neck was machined that was fully sanded out for fear of creating a flat spot. The finish over the top leveled it out to where you can see it but not feel it.

Duncan

Tele-Meister
Unless something changed, Fender doesn't offer B Stock guitars. The dealer may offer a floor model with some scratch or dents and call it a B stock, but (to the best of my knowledge) there are no B stock part numbers in their system.

Occasionally, we might have had some trade show or road show guitars out on display and offer them to the dealer at a discount, but any defects in a guitar get fixed or replaced before they ship from the factory.