1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Experiment with pre-heating the guitar before nitro

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Slippery Jack, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

I am battling with humidity at the moment, it's been about 62% for the last week or so. I experimented on a bit of plywood and found that if the wood was cold, I would get bloom. If I heated the wood in front of a fan heater first, it would give a decent finish. I tried it on the guitar and it worked.

Did I get lucky, or is the condensation from the damp air onto the relatively cold body, with the cold spray from the can, that is giving the bloom? Has anyone else tried pre-heating the guitar? Perhaps someone else can give it a go and see if it works for them?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

I haven't had that problem so far with humidity but you might want to pre heat the can as well.It sprays better and may help your situation .

photondev likes this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Where are you spraying?

4. Slippery Jack

Near Portsmouth, UK.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  5. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

sorry, I meant set-up wise - inside/outside? Garage?

6. Slippery Jack

I'm spraying in the equivalent of a garage. I set up a heater and dehumidifier hours before I'm ready to go. Then I heat the guitar in front of the heater until it's warm to the touch. Observing my test piece, I saw the bloom arrive in the finish after it was sprayed, which made me think that the bloom was in fact water vapour condensing onto the cold surface of the wet paint. So I thought, keep the surface warmer than the surrounding air (water vapour) and the water vapour won't condense.

I haven't pre-heated the can yet, I'll give it a go in a few days for what, hopefully, will be the final pass. I didn't previously pre-heat the can as I thought that the temperature drop when the pressurised liquid changes to a gas would be so great that the effect of heating the liquid would be insignificant. However, I'll give it a go.

As you can all probably tell, I'm a complete novice at this and this is a one off project, and if I'm completely wrong about any of this please say so. I'm experimenting and reporting, not instructing.

ps You might have guessed that I have a science background.

7. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

I am sure you already know that when they say heat the can of Nitro they mean by putting the can in the sink with warm or hot water..
    just thought I'd throw that in ..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.