1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Experiences with the Crate Limo TX50DB?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Obsessed, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have been looking for quite some time for a solo busking style amp/PA for both electric and acoustic and vocals. This Crate Limo popped up on my radar and wondering if anyone here has something to say about them? It is priced to sell, so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit, but not sure what I am sacrificing.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

BB likes this.
  2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a Taxi TX30B for $25 at a pawn shop. It needed a new battery, so I got a replacement for $10-$12. It's been a great little amp. I actually sat in with a band at an anniversary party using the Taxi and (of all things!) an older Digitech RP20 (with a few blackface settings) and an old Marshall Blues Beaker pedal.

The bands guitar player was running a blackface Bassman into a 4x12 cab. The taxi was a bit underpowered, but it did the job.

For what you're after, I think it would be ideal. A also have a Roland street Cube and while I like the tone of the cube better, the Taxi has more volume and balls. Running the two together using a Digitech Ex-7 pedal provides a huge, huge tone and stereo spread. The Crate also works better with my acoustic/electric than the Roland.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Thanks. I checked the prices of batteries for it and that is right in line with what you spent. I have had these Limos in my search engine for quite awhile along with a bunch of others, but for the price is seems to be just as good if not better than the pricey alternatives.

4. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

There is a new old stock50 watt taxi at a pan shop near me. It has all the digital effects built in and looks to be a Cadillac model compared to my old Tercel. They are asking $199.00, but I'm sure I could get it for $100 out the door. Problem is, I don't need it and rarely use the one I have anymore. Still, hate to sell it as it does what it does very well.

Obsessed likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Thanks. $100 is the asking price, so for what I am looking for, this is a swingin' deal and seems to be priced well. Thanks for your input.

6. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

If you were closer, I'd let you use mine to see if it will work for you. If you do get it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how good it sounds and how much volume it puts out. Let me know if you get it.

Obsessed likes this.
  7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I have 2 of the Crate Limo's.

Bought both about 17 year's ago.

I Love them.

Quality sound and portable... on a rechargeable battery.

You can even recharge em from your vehicle.

Great for busking.

IMO.

2 Headed Goat, BB and Obsessed like this.
  8. Obsessed

They seem quite versatile and portable. That is why I have been keeping an eye out for them. I live off the grid so recharging via 12VDC is a huge plus for me. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve had two of the amps in the Crate “Taxi” line: the TX30 “Taxi” and the TX50DB “Limo.”

The former was my first amp for gigging, with an acoustic/electric and a Shure SM58. I had it from the year 2000 until 2010, when I lost it in a house fire.

In 2008, I upgraded to the Limo, because I had purchased my first tele that year. So I ran the SM58 into the mic input, and plugged into the instrument input, switching between channels 1 and 2 for electric and acoustic/electric, respectively. To my ears, teles sound okay in Channel 1, but not great. Channel 2 for acoustic/electric sounded very good.

I gigged with that Limo pretty much every week from 2008-2016, when I got my Fishman Loudbox Mini. Even then, I still used the Limo for gigs where a power source wasn’t available or convenient. Sold it February of last year, when I bought the Loudbox Mini Charge. (That's a great busking amp, too, BTW.)

If you pull the trigger on the Limo, be aware that both mic and instrument channels share the same DSP effects; the effect you select applies to both instrument and mic inputs. You can control the level sent to the mic channel, but you can’t select different effects for mic and guitar. So if you want delay, select that effect, and you can control the amount of signal sent to the internal DSP for the instrument channel. But you won’t be able to choose a different effect like reverb for the vocals; your choices are only delay (or whatever you’ve chosen on the instrument channel) or turn down or off the amount of signal to the internal DSP for the mic channel. I would select one of the reverbs or the Chorus/Hall option, and turn the DSP Send way down on the mic channel. Hope that makes sense.

[​IMG]

BB, 2 Headed Goat and Obsessed like this.
  10. Obsessed

Super thanks for the tip. I bought it. I'll be posting a NAD.

11. Obsessed

I got it. I'll be posting a NAD. Thanks.

12. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Just saw this thread...

I mainly use a Roland Micro Cube for busking tho for bigger outdoor gigs, I've used the Limo with much success. Much louder obviously and much better projection. One gig I played 6+ hours solely on battery power with no issues. I'd use it more tho I can fit the MC in a knapsack so it wins out for this reason.

Enjoy!

BB and Obsessed like this.
  13. Obsessed

Thanks. Yeah, it just seems to cover all of my needs without spending some big bucks. It sounds great so far.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.