Experience with Class D Bass Heads

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Jeru, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

It's a Markbass 1x12 Combo where the head sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
    Basically, I'm looking for a small-form head to power the cab. When I do play bass, it's often
    outside and without PA support. The Markbass (with 300w at 8ohm into 1x12") kept up JUST FINE.

So -- I'm thinking that for $250 at Sweetwater and for however long it lasts, the
    TC Electronics BQ500 will be perfect.

2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I’ve read some posts on Talkbass that seemed to like the BQ500, once people got past the weird/misleading input gain switch and compression/clip light. I think I remember reading that the light sensed signal before the input gain switch, and the switch positions labeling was reversed...but if you ignored the light and figured out the switch, it worked fine and sounded good.

EDIT: apparently the reversed switch labeling was corrected at some point.

3. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

I appreciate the response. I haven't read all that yet but was vaguely aware of it somehow.
    I'll have to get on that, if only to get my head around it.

Anybody else have experiences (good or bad) with the small-form bass heads from
    TC, Mark, Trace, Ampeg? Thanks, as always.

4. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

I gigged with an Ampeg PF800 into a GK410 NEO for several years with no problems. With the relatively small venues we played, those 800 watts weren't for volume, they were for clean headroom, and I got a nicely detailed and clean, rich and full sound out of that rig at very reasonable volumes.

I played bars, churches, parks and even an outdoor festival with that rig, extremely flexible and easy to move around.

The cab weighs 48 pounds and the head is laughably small, like 8 pounds. As far as sound, running my P-Bass through it was the quintessential rock sound, full and rich no matter the volume. If you like the PF350/PF500, you'll like the PF800. Nowadays I'd probably look for a smaller cab that can do the job of that 410 NEO.

Incidentally, the cab is an 8ohm cab so I got 400 total watts from the head. I considered at one point changing to a 4 ohm cab but I never needed all the power that head can put out.

mexicanyella and Jeru like this.
  5. mexicanyella

If there’s one thing I’m a-GASsin for at the moment, it’s a TC Electronic RH-series head; either the 450 or 750. Never played one, but it has onboard compressor and tuner, and four-band semi-parametric EQ with three storable EQ “scenes.” Reports I’ve read say it leans in the warm vintage direction despite looking like something from the instrument panel of a TIE fighter. This seems promising, since I play guitar, bass and lap steel through a small neutral cabinet. If it sounded good, I could have EQ set up for each and a one-trip carry loud enough for nearly any situation.

(Looks in wallet, sadly)

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  6. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

TIE fighter -- Totally Yes.

Promising re: different EQ for different instruments -- TOTALLY YES.

Wallet, Sadly -- also totally yes.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    mexicanyella likes this.
  7. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have heard nothing but good things about those Hartke LH's.I have been wanting to hear and try one in person for years.I like that they are rackmounts.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    mexicanyella and Jakedog like this.
  8. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have been very interested in those too.Have not been able to hear or try one in person though.They seemed to be very packed with features.Effects loop too which a lot of these small Class D amps don't have.Effects loop is a must for me.

mexicanyella likes this.
  9. mexicanyella

You’d think with all that EQ flexibility, compression, the tube tone distortion thingy and an effects loop, that would be one super-flexible deal. In my mind, the perfect setup for me would do all I needed without extra cabling or devices...so if one of those things works as well as it does in my mind, I actually wouldn’t need the effects loop. If the tones were cool enough, I’d play dry.

But I have tilted at a few conceptual windmills before, gear wise. Maybe the wallet-to-curiosity ratio will improve sometime before they go out of production.

Jeru and Coloradotwanger like this.
  10. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Math ain't my strong suit, but I bet there's an interesting graph curve on that W-T-C ratio..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.