Experience Purchasing Directly from Grote?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Cornelius TX, Jun 10, 2021 at 8:53 PM.

1. Cornelius TX

Cornelius TX TDPRI Member

Hello!

I am thinking about buying a guitar directly from grotechina.com. The particular guitar I’m looking at is not available on Amazon. I’ve been in touch with a customer service representative and he/she has been very responsive and answered all of my questions. This aspect does seem legitimate.

Just wanted to see if any the TDPRI folks have any experience purchasing directly from this site, and if this site is indeed legitimate. Just don’t want to get burned. Definitely going to check with PayPal about their buyer protection policy before doing anything at all.

Thanks!

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You may wanna check in w/ resident Grote expert @fendergyl - she may have relevant questions to ask the "responsive folks at CS" about known issues (or stuff she's seen and had to fix)
    Paying w/ a protective layer makes sense.
    At least this isn't one of the counterfeits that might get seized at Customs.
    And - don't rely on any assurances about shipping time, unless it's accompanied by written promise that the charges will be reversed if not delivered by XX date.
    Peace - Deeve

3. Cornelius TX

Thanks a lot! Great info.

Deeve and crazydave911 like this.
  4. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

If you buy a Grote guitar, you may want to make sure that it's currently in the States.

The LA shipping ports are still a mess. Containers are not moving with a shortage of chassis and massive turnover of truck drivers not able to make rate.

But yeah, I really dig my jazz model.

PhredE, nojazzhere, Deeve and 2 others like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I can't help with your question, but PLEASE let us know what transpires. ;)

crazydave911 and Cornelius TX like this.
  6. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

I've always been afraid to deal directly with any guitar company directly in China. Only due to the payment transaction and no buyer protection guarantee. I only go thru Amazon for Grote. Firefly is usually thru Amazon or Guitar Garden. I've never bought a Chinese Knock Off directly either.
    I've been tempted though.
    FG

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

To me the advantage of using Amazon was the free return if I didn’t like it. Might be a consideration. They change models on Amazon, so it might be worth the wait even though my Grote is a keeper.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've ordered from aliexpress, the times for something to arrive can vary from 2 weeks to almost two months.

They already have buyer protection, they are a platform like ebay or reverb. And you have extra protection on your card, you have something like 6 months to cancel your purchase from your bank.

It wouldn't be a problem with customs, but they may open it up to look at, which would take even longer to get the guitar.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021 at 10:46 AM
  9. Cornelius TX

Thank y’all for the good input!

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

They may have "Buyer Protection", but can you speak Mandarin Chinese to go through their Customer Service Dept? Like @Obsessed ....I went through Amazon "just in case".
    And @FenderGyrl......I still owe you a favor for your recommendation. ;)

11. wangdaning

wangdaning TDPRI Member

Aliexpress is meant for non Chinese people, so they should have English speaking customer support. The individual seller might not though. To be honest, I am speaking hypothetically as I have lived in China the last 13 years, so never dealt with them. Looking at their site it seems they have a clear process laid out in English though. The only concern then would be the amount of time your money would possibly be in limbo (something to consider).

Just for kicks, the Chinese equivalent of aliexpress is 1688.com -- 1 6 8 8 sound similar to Alibaba when spoken in Chinese.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.