Experiance with the Quilter cub please ?

cbnutt

Tele-Afflicted
Was curious if you have gigged these some since they been around a while now , clean head room and tone compared to a deluxe reverb or newer tonmaster deluxe , i have a old 70,s DR and tonemaster i like real well , so was wandering if i would like a the cub 50 watter on the blackface setting , well they stay clean at volumes equal to deluxes as they do for small bars , clubs etc . Like to hear what you think of them and experiance , thanks .

Shango66

Friend of Leo's
I have a few quilter heads but not the Aviator Cub.
closest I got is the 101 reverb.
plenty of clean in a loud band I play in and takes dirt like a champ.
id guess the cub is in the same ballpark.

Whoa Tele

Friend of Leo's
anyone ??

I’ve got a Cub and a Mach 3 . They work great as pedal platforms and have plenty of loud clean headroom . I’ve gigged them and my band mates have even said how nice they sound . You can also get tweed/blonde robes as well. I’m a big fan Let me know if you have more questions

cbnutt

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve got a Cub and a Mach 3 . They work great as pedal platforms and have plenty of loud clean headroom . I’ve gigged them and my band mates have even said how nice they sound . You can also get tweed/blonde robes as well. I’m a big fan Let me know if you have more questions
Thanks , what is the Limiter doing , is there a setting to keep it best for clean headroom ?

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks , what is the Limiter doing , is there a setting to keep it best for clean headroom ?

In my experience, a balance between the gain and limiter settings is the key to a great clean tone. I like to turn up the gain until it starts to break up, then turn up the limiter until it starts to clean up. That will give you some tube-like sag and compression.

The limiter according to Quilter:

The Limiter acts as an “autopilot” that progressively intervenes to limit how far into overdrive the sound can go. You will get full-gain overdrive with zero LIMITER. As you turn it up, you will feel it progressively “holding back” your loudest peaks, so you can “linger” in mild breakup, or when turned fully up, hover just below breakup for long sustained notes. The Limiter is footswitchable and provides a subtle “in-channel” method for changing the amount of “dirt” in the tone.

timbgtr

Tele-Meister
I’ve got one I use regularly at blues jams and love it. I’m big on BF clean tones, and this does the job very well, and at 20 lbs. My long search for a great sounding light but loud enough amp is over.

I’m not much of a pedal person, so I can’t help you there. I pretty much put the gain knob at about 4 o’clock and the limiter at about 8 o’clock. The amp is very clean up to that point, and the limiter can cut volume, so that seems like a good place to me. I boost the bass and treble a little bit and cut the mids a little bit, to make the tone slightly more BF. The tone controls are pretty powerful.

There’s a lot there. I’m settled for now on the above, but I can imagine trying other inputs or settings. Many seem to like using two inputs at a time, with a Y cable.

cbnutt

Tele-Afflicted
Well i am going to try one , just ordered from sweetwater , i also have a Boss Katana , if the Quilter beats it for cleans , which i am "guessing" it will since i like Deluxe clean sounds , ill sell the Katana , and hopefully stays clean at least as high a volume as the Katana does on its clean channel .

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
Well i am going to try one , just ordered from sweetwater , i also have a Boss Katana , if the Quilter beats it for cleans , which i am "guessing" it will since i like Deluxe clean sounds , ill sell the Katana , and hopefully stays clean at least as high a volume as the Katana does on its clean channel .
I think your Cub will meet those goals. Report back!

ScottTunes

Tele-Meister
I tried the Cub for a while. I returned it because it didn't really add anything to what the Interblock 45 already does... And, I already have a cab, or 6 that I like.

I liked the "Blonde" input best for my pedals. All 3 inputs sound quite good. And the Limiter gives it a more tube-like "feel," which I was just getting into when I sent it back. Now I'm looking at the Aviator Mach 3. It has 2 channels, and the same 3 "American" amps, plus 3 "British" amps. So, I'm just being greedy!

I have several vintage Traynor and Fender amps, in addition to the I45, so I'm in no hurry right now.

twochiptele

TDPRI Member
I have the Mach 2 and the (US) Cub. The Cub is very light ánd loud , loud enough to gig and rehearse with it.
I use the blonde input for surf with a JM and the black input for my Tele for rhythm and blues and such.

I set the limiter between 10 and 11 o clock and the gain wide open, and ride my guitar's volume pot to control the "grit and splat" so to speak, all the way down to nice and clean. Works like a charm for me, since my tele and jazzmaster does have medium output pickups and the gain of the Cub is not thát over the top - "gain" for the grit, and tempered bij " limiter" for the splat. Tone controls mostly set to noon, with a some cut/boost depended on guitar, band and/ or venue.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
My Aviator Cub is on consignment here locally.
I liked it well enough, but it always seemed ... somewhat lacking.
I've replaced it with this:
1669987081676.png

Roland Blues Cube Stage.
60 Watts with a selector switch that takes you from whisper to rebel yell - which I love.
Does the Fender tone thing well.
Useable OD and reverb, which sounds the same at any volume (see selector switch).
Lighter than a tube amp but delivers "tube tone" without tube fragility issues.
Got mine for $450 on Reverb in pristeen condition with dust cover.
You might want to explore this option before you shell out for a Quilter. Just sayin' ...

cbnutt

Tele-Afflicted
Well it sounded good , but after playing a while i just decided i wasnt gaining on my other amps with it , early 70.s deluxe , tonmaster deluxe , and Katana , so sent back to sweetwater , if i didnt have the 2 lighter amps i might have kept it , it should be listed on there open box discount latter this week if anyone wants a better deal on one .

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I’m no Quilter fan boy. I’m on my fourth (Mach 3), and I know they all have strengths and weaknesses.

I was really disappointed with the TM Deluxe Reverb. Kinda hated it, actually. Pretty much everything Quilter offers is better IMO.

Sorry the Quilter didn’t work out for you.

mikeRI

TDPRI Member
I bought an Aviator Cub US today. I need a headphone jack and line out (with option of quieting the speaker), and something lightweight, so it checked all the boxes.

I have a Mooer mini pedal board with 6 mini Mooer pedals, so a basic clean sound is all I really need. I used to gig with a DV Mark Jazz 12 (which has most of the same features) but the quilter has a better sound for rock/blues imo.

I really like the Tweed setting best, so far. I have a rehearsal tomorrow night, so I’ll have a better idea of how it works for me.

I was messing around earlier tonight with cranking the gain and using the volume knob to switch between a rhythm and lead sounds. I’d never tried that before but I can see the potential. It’s a good option for when my pedal board inevitably craps out at a gig.