Expensive guitars make you a better guitarist, says Gibson.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by regularslinky, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Thanks for your kindness. I love your tiger stripes!

Bob

Recce likes this.
  2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Bone stock, I get more out for everything I put in to an expensive guitar. The pickups often sound better and sometimes more expressive.

But a cheap guitar with a pro set-up through an expensive amp might just make you question why you’re spending all that money on guitars and not the other parts of the equation...

3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just get a louder amp...

LOUDER AMPLIFIERS A.jpg

:D

Luthi3rz likes this.
  4. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

BUILDING YOUR OWN GUITAR MAKES YOU A BETTER GUITARIST! Logic. :D

awasson likes this.
  5. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Better? No. Hotter? Sometimes.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I mean, obviously not inherently true, but I see what they're saying. You'll never be able to pull Allan Holdsworth or Shawn Lane licks and runs with a ratty guitar with a 1'' high action. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean you need something expensive, but typically a more high end guitar, with better build quality and tighter tolerances is going to cost more. Now, that also doesn't mean you can't find a $75 guitar that can shred, but you're still probably going to get something better, if you spend a bit more. I'm betting that $75 guitar doesn't have SS frets for example.

Having a better playing guitar WILL make you a better musician. If you're able to more easily get what's in your head, out through your guitar/gear, you're able to better express your musical thoughts. But again, don't take this to an extreme and then assume, "Oh if I spend a lot of money on an instrument I'll be a better musician."
    No, because A. Expensive isn't necessarily, 'better' as we've seen. And B. you still have to put in the time to practice. You need to be good enough to take advantage of the superior aspects of the guitar. That's why if you put a person who picked up the guitar a week ago, on a $10,000 guitar, they're not going to suddenly be playing like Clapton, because it's 'better.' A mediocre, or fair playing instrument could hold a more advanced musician back, IMO.

But also, screw Gibson, they're obviously trying to sell their overpriced guitars, which IMO, do not play anywhere near as good as they should at their price point. They do often look purdyy, though.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  7. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

I always bought guitars I had to play up to..cant stand junk n never could.. most guitars btw are junk. nothing but junk

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Seventy years ago Leo Fender applied industrial art to musical instruments making him the probable Father of Rock 'n' Roll. Since rock 'n' roll is such a bastard it's difficult to tell who is really its daddy. :lol: Anyway, Leo's Telecaster and Stratocaster guitars join the Volkswagen Beetle and the Ford Model T as iconic industrial designs.

The Les Paul was never an iconic industrial design IMO. Iconic, yes. Iconic industrial design? Hell, no! That mantle belongs to the Telecaster.

bgmacaw likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Bull shirt! I’ve had all kinda in the last 4 decades including late 50’s early 60’ Fenders. Up until a few months ago and for over a year, my number one was a Walmart Sawtooth tele I paid $55 bucks for in a pawnshop. New pickups and it killed. Taught me a lot. There are videos of it on the Cavalier website. I can not believe what a Paul sells for these days.

rickthescot likes this.
  10. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Not really a fair comparison, as modern CNC and tighter manufacturing tolerances will give the advantage to newer guitars. As cool as those vintage axes are, I don't consider them to be the epitome or setting the bar for playability, IMO. There's some cool mojo in an old hand built guitar, but a mass produced hand made vintage instrument will not hold up to a top grade modern guitar made on a CNC machine, and going through a PLEK machine, with modern hardware of tighter tolerances, and better design, if you're going for the best playability possible. I'm sure they all can be great players, but the tighter tolerances of modern production often will win and make a better guitar, unless you factor in 'mojo points' and placebo.

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, if vintage Fenders don’t qualify as expensive then maybe some of Gibson’s I’ve owned do? How about the many guitars I have made myself?
    Is Gibson not using cnc equipment? If so, why are they still so expensive? If not, why not, if it produces a superior product for less money?(which it does). If Walmart can make a guitar that sells new for $100 that is good enough to be my #1, why can’t Gibson do it for say, $500? How is a new production Les Paul worth $5000-$8000? More importantly, how is it going to make me play better?o_O

awasson likes this.
  12. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Here's the referenced interview of Joe Barresi.

What he said about the guitar making him better:

"It meant so much to me that I actually owned a Gibson, and going into the rehearsal room the next day and playing it, instantly made me a better player because of the confidence that you exude when you have something of substance and it just sounded so much better than the guitar I was playing at the time, which was basically a piece of plywood with some strings bolted to it."

I think its a similar story to what a lot of us might have experienced when getting our first well made guitar. Playing a well made, good sounding guitar, after playing a guitar that is poorly/cheaply made, is such a revelation. For me it was my first Fender Stratocaster.

13. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I had been playing guitar for a few years by the time I was 19. I played a mexican telecaster exclusively. One day I walked into guitar center and picked up a masterbuilt fender strat. Suddenly it was not such an ordeal just to make things sound good. " I guess I'm alot better than I thought." Up until that point I thought I had some technical deficiency because of all the noise and crappy tone I had playing that MIM guitar, but that was not the case. Now I play an 80's G&L, which is great for me and while it is not that expensive, it is a quality guitar.

14. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

"Joe Barresi Explains How Buying Expensive, Pro-Level Instrument Instantly Made Him a Better Guitarist."

The link article source of that statement is some guy in a conversion with Gibson and NOT from Gibson.
    That is ONE GUY who stated it made him a better player.
    There is nothing there that states buying an expensive Pro Level Instrument or Gibson will make
    YOU a better player.

15. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

SNOOKS EAGLIN!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.