Expensive guitars make you a better guitarist, says Gibson.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by regularslinky, Sep 19, 2019.

1. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Over my time on the planet guitars have gotten better, but back in the day you sometimes had to learn a different technique to playing a bad guitar or change it's setup to tweak it.

2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

You know, I saved up three years to get this one.

[​IMG]

It is a '74 Kalamazoo Small Script Standard, from before the Standard was introduced as a model. Used LPs were going for $250 but by the time I saved that, inflation had made it $300. I saved that and they were $325. Etc. Guitar store managers around town got to know me as the guy who kept showing up a day later and $25 short. I intersected the curve at $425 by the mercy of a manager who decided to put me out of his misery. It just about broke me to save that much as a college student.

[​IMG]

Lots of miles and smiles on this guitar. It is forty-five years old this year and bone stock except a refret.

[​IMG]

Bob

alnico357, Rowdyman, VWAmTele and 5 others like this.
  3. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

The title of the article is: "Joe Barresi Explains How Buying Expensive, Pro-Level Instrument Instantly Made Him a Better Guitarist" and the explanation came in an "interview" he did with with Gibson.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

A friend of mine who's probably one of the best rock and roll guitarist I've ever known, and I'd put him up against just about anyone famous. Seriously. Anyway, he has his 74 Les Paul standard that he bought new, and has gig'd around the world with it since that time. However, he also has a super cheap A _ _ Fender Squire, Chinese made and completely stock, I think he paid 90 bucks for it out the door at a pawn shop. He can make that thing sound like Hendrix on steroids! No joke... Having said that, I'm a fan of USA made guitars so... I'm bias on that point. However, a good guitarist can make any guitar sound like a million bucks IMO. Sadly... I've yet to become one of "them"... but I continually try ;)

5. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I'm not mad at anybody. I thought the article was funny because it claims - in the title no less - that buying an expensive guitar will instantly make you a better guitarist. I thought that the folks on TDPRI (and anyone else who has ever picked up a musical instrument) would understand how absurd and ridiculous that claim is. It's apparent that many do not. Whatever.

awasson, Rev Rhythm and 985plowboy like this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

LOLOLOL
    Just like owning a Ferrari makes you a better driver....

Boubou, puddin and Shuster like this.
  7. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

My expensive guitar (Gibson CS-356) inspires me like no other I own every time I open the case and strap it on. It pretty much demanded that I become a better player, and I obeyed (with its help). It helped me sound better playing my relative cheapos, too. And that made it worth every penny to me.

8. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

I've got four Gibsons and I'm still crap.

KelvinS1965, puddin and Shuster like this.
  9. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My first good guitars were a 1954 Strat, 52 Les Paul, and 1930s L-5. Why would I want to play anything else, I thought. Later, sold them to pay for my PhD. Then, I got interested in playing again. Now it is all about finding a decent neck, then having kokotele hot-rod the guitars (Epi Dot and Epi LPC). But above all, I have to keep my chops up and keep improving. Lots of fun going back and dinking around with things that I was too busy to care about at one time.

10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I would agree that while the BB was quite spartan, even by the standards of the day. Hofners while less expensive in Europe than US instruments were never cheap, and were considered to be professional instruments at the time.

Mc Cartney has always quoted the price as
    “ around 30 POUNDS” the $45 figure which is often used is based on the incorrect use of the current $1.50( approx) exchange value of the pound.
    Using the correct exchange rate and adjusting for inflation his original Hofner was between $850 and 900 in current $ which is pretty much the entry point for most makers “ upscale “ instruments, although you sadly can not get a new German made BB for anywhere near that, as the Mark is far stronger than in the postwar economy..

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  11. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

Sure. But again, the title of the article says, "...Made Him a Better Guitarist". We can laugh and chuckle and that statement, but he did mention in the article that the expensive guitar gave him confidence, which in turn allowed him to play better. I understand the article does seem, for all intents and purposes, to be a marketing ploy; however, this is nothing new in the world of corporate business. Everyone does this.

I get it. Lots of folks like to pick on Gibson. We like to make jokes at their expense. They've certainly earned a reputation of being derided and sneered at, but I'm not concerned with the article per se. It's the title of this thread that's misleading and false IMO. YMMV.

12. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

No Such Instrument, not even in Area 51,,,

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

says gibson... who cares?....:rolleyes::lol:

isn't there a gibson fan boi site to post this rubbish on?...:twisted:

14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

So, I'm guessing that Gibson will be happy when I move from my Standard Strat up to a CS version.
    PS: it already happened and I sound pretty much the same as before.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

A haircut and a new shirt makes me feel more confident. I think me and the guy in the article are saying precisely the same thing.

985plowboy likes this.
  16. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It would make my playing worse if I had a $4000 Gibson, I'd be afraid of dropping it and breaking off the headstock...

17. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

This, I own nice guitars that are set up well. That makes them easier to play and therefore I play better. You can get this with less expensive guitars set up well although I don’t really know because I don’t have any. I actually need to get one for around the bonfire or messing about.

18. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I can definitely say for myself, that growing up playing crummy ie affordable) drums and hardware, I spent 80% of my time struggling with the instrument to get it to sound the way I would have liked, the other 10% fixing it, nd the last 10 actually learning and creating. At least I had the brains to buy top of the line Paiste cymbals so I could at least hear some of the sound in my head.
    Thankfully changes in the industry have made a 500 dollar kit today light years better than in the '80's. Same w electric guitars.
    Do you need 5k worth of gear. No. But it helps. Absolutely.

zippofan likes this.
  19. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I don’t play Bass but I do want one of those. I just think they are very cool looking.

20. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

17B8B013-E32E-4178-BD50-9D81E5B46BD6.jpeg
    I don’t know why but this site puts new pictures at the top. So, the one at the top is my Les Paul Traditional. It is also a very nice guitar. Yours is beautiful.

Bob Womack likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.