Expensive guitars make you a better guitarist, says Gibson.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by regularslinky, Sep 19, 2019.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

A decent guitar that you like and an excellent setup, either professionally done or done yourself if you know how are all you need. All the rest is icing on the cake. But... there's a thread running now about aesthetics and there are a few valid points posted there. For me, a high gloss finish is important. I won't play it if I can't look at it... so I guess the icing is as important on a guitar as on your birthday cake. ;)

Humble Pie, Greggorios and Rev Rhythm like this.
  2. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Sure
    Gibson’s scenario:
    Buy a high end guitar
    Incur huge amount of debt
    Determine that more gigs will offset debt
    Find out that somebody with better chops is getting those gigs
    Work hard and improve your playing
    Gig more make $$$$$
    Pay off guitar

Reality:
    Practice
    Play incessantly with better musicians
    Become a better guitarist

JL_LI likes this.
  3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I remember the same being true with girls, when I was single.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I can agree with the article, in the respect that if you're an aspiring guitarist that is attempting things on a cheap or poorly set up guitar, those things you're trying to do will be more difficult. To a point, that might help - because if you can accomplish what you're trying to play on a cheap or poorly set up guitar it'll will make you a better player by fighting through the shortcomings of the instrument.

But I'll say that when I made the step to higher-end instruments, they made what I was trying to play easier.

As for aesthetics - my #1 is a Danocaster that looks like it was dropped from the back of a truck numerous times. But I've had very few instruments that are as easy to play, aesthetics notwithstanding.

- D

5. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Those guys are fullada sof'n stinky.

6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I firmly believe the right axe and the right tone make you a better player...but it has nothing to do with expense. It's true for me anyway and cheap doesn't mean bad anymore.

Lies&Distortion, JL_LI and StrangerNY like this.
  7. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Here is my take:

You start with an inexpensive guitar that is a little harder to play. You have put in the work, fighting that guitar to make it play the way you want it to.

If after all this you buy a more expensive guitar that with better fretwork, etc, then Yes it will be easier and more pleasnt to play and you will almost instantly become a better player - but it was the first guitar that made you the better player - the second just allowed you to use your skill more efficiently.

I always recommend people start with a beginner guitar. $100 is a cheap investment. If you never learn to play it, then you aren't out much and you can sell it later and you're only out $50 or so.

If start out with a $500 guitar, you won't appreciate it as much if you skipped the $100 guitar. If you never play it that starts to look like a pile of cash sitting there in the corner. You'll loose a few hundred dollars in the deal, too.

So Gibson, I might argue that inexpensive guitars make you a better guitarist!

Gene O. and StrangerNY like this.
  8. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Last time I was over at the golf course that is close to our house, a fellow was showing off his golf clubs that he had gone on a trip to have fitted and tested to fit him. He paid six thousand dollars for the fitting and the clubs, he followed that up with a thousand dollar hand made putter. His final statement was "I still can't play golf very well."

10. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I'd take a new LTD EC-1000 w/ Duncans made in Korea or Indonesia over any new Gibson Les Paul I've played in the last 15 years and save $500-$1500.

11. Toto'sDad

Yeah, and for just a little additional panache, he did it left handed.

trahx and mkdaws32 like this.
  12. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is a better-worded version of what I was trying to say. :)

- D

13. Toto'sDad

Let's see here. You build expensive guitars, so you recommend people who play guitars buy expensive guitars. Hmm, that somehow seems to make some sense.

Rowdyman and mkdaws32 like this.
  14. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

There was a nice original '59 at Rudy's around that time. They used to go out the door for +/- $3000.

Betcha wish you bought that one.

:D :D :D

For comparison I could have bought a nice used '69- '70 Z-28 for three grand back then.

15. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I wholeheartedly agree with Gibson. That's why I dumped those crummy Les Paul reissues and bought an Alembic. ;)

16. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Playing makes you a better player ;)

awasson, Shuster and Bones like this.
  17. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

Oh, I get it. But by reading the title of the thread, I thought to myself, "Wow, Gibson ACTUALLY said that" as the title of the thread suggests ("Expensive guitars make you a better guitarist, says Gibson"). A sarcastic and facetious remark, sure; but one that is also blatantly incorrect and petty IMO.

18. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I agree that better instruments can make better musicians, to what extent isn't measurable and of course it's not 100% universal. My experience was, as I upgraded guitars it grew my love for the instrument because it became even more fun to do.
    I played ALOT on my crap guitars, but playing better guitars was more fun,,,I think everyone can agree with that.

So,,,I practiced more and was more confident, etc.. Yes, it's your personal work that grows skills, but a better tool is a better tool.

We've upgraded our daughter to a third different piano. The 'latest one plays better and allows her to be more expressive, easier, than the previous pianos. She plays for hours a day.

The article says "expensive, pro level instrument...." They could have easily left the word Expensive out and made the same point.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  19. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I have an expensive Gibson SG. (intonation issues abound).

But my current favorite guitar is my Epiphone Dot Studio (335?). $250.00. --- before NEW pickups. Great intonation and tone.

Shuster likes this.
  20. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I will never buy another Gibson.
    I sold all my Custom Shop Pauls pretty much for what I paid for them and had my deceased father not bought me the Les Paul Studio I probably would have gotten rid of that too.
    On top of not being a Gibson guy. I can't stand what that brand has turned into.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.