Expensive guitars make you a better guitarist, says Gibson.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by regularslinky, Sep 19, 2019.

1. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It may not make you a better player but it may motivate, inspire or encourage you to work harder.

Stratohacker, Stisch, OldPup and 18 others like this.
  3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

He says that his previous guitar was a bad example. I will assume it played poorly.
    He says having a nice guitar that played well gave him confidence and he was able to play better.

I believe him.

I do not think you have to spend a bunch of money to have that experience, but that was what he wanted.

Are you mad at Gibson?

If the article was promoting a brand of guitar you like, would you feel better about it?

Fwiw I own Fender, Gibson and Takamine guitars.

Fretting out, Bones, Obsessed and 4 others like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m living proof that is not true!;)
    I’ve owned dozens of high end Gibsons, and other nice guitars since 1973, and they all had zero effect on my playing.
    How much I played, and if I studied/took lessons made all the difference.
    Marketing Malarkey!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Are you going to be more motivated to practice if your Dad says "I'll give you $4,0000 if you learn to play"?
    You can convince yourself to stop playing even if you know you can 'get half' the cash back by selling it when you don't learn to play.
    You can buy a cheap or midrange guitar and pay a fancy pro guitar tech to do all the fretwork and setup for 1/10th the price of many top end guitars and that guitar will play like the guitar tech's skill not whatever came out of the factory.
    There are many paths to playing.

Motivation comes from yourself, a burning passion to do something, not over-spending a bunch of cash on something.

6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

We guitarists often forget how cheap even or pro level instruments are, and how lucky were are they even cheap instruments are usually more than adequate (provided they're properly set up).

A violin for example will cost thousands, and there are big differences as you go up in quality

Though this article is more about marketing than anything else, I will agree that there is something to be said for having few (even just one) high quality instruments that you use and treasure for your whole life.

7. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

+1. Obviously, there’s a quality floor below which a really bad guitar can hold you back, but once you get up into properly-set-up, mid-priced import guitars, they’re “good enough”. Study and practice improve one’s playing a lot more than fancier gear. In my case, therein lies the problem.

8. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Not constructive.

9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Expensive guitars make you a better guitarist, says Gibson.

:lol::lol::lol: no, sorry... :(

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

If you look at how much gear is bought by the TDPRI members, this is definitely true

11. EvilMorty

EvilMorty TDPRI Member

The article is talking about a $35K guitar. That's insane.
    A long time ago, Leo taught us that the cheap slab of wood that is the telecaster can sound incredibly good. (Granted, some teles are expensive but you get the idea).

Fretting out likes this.
  12. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

So pay authentic?

beyer160, Fretting out, Nubs and 4 others like this.
  13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Your instrument needs to be good enough to be playable. But I doubt a $2,000 guitar will let you play better than a $1,000 guitar, or even a $500 guitar. Plenty of us have good instruments that we got for even less than that.

14. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

What a load, everybody knows that it’s more pedals that makes you a better guitarist!

15. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

Seriously, I leveled up when I started using my $300 partscaster instead of my $200 Squier. Having an instrument that's nicely set up and that you are inspired to play does make a difference but I don't believe you've got to go pro level to get that result. Just an instrument you love and enjoy playing.

16. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Gibson says expensive guitars make you a better player.

Gibson sells expensive guitars.

Coincidence?

Torren61, beyer160, rigatele and 8 others like this.
  17. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I think this is more about then than now..
    It’s not clear if that ‘80 was new but looking at the guy I suspect he is about my age.
    Most “ affordable” guitars at that time were pretty bad. The difference between a second hand /!$100 guitar then and now is night and day. Plus there were no online tutorials on set up, etc. I still have most of my early guitars, and w/ the help of those resources I have made them playable, still most current Affinities / Epiphones or entry level acoustics are superior instruments.

I had the use of a Gibson for Jazz band my senior year
    (1980) it was a indescribable improvement over anything I had played up to that time. I now have a American Professional Tele, it’s no longer the huge leap from a budget guitar that we once saw, but there is a difference, and there are intangible rewards from the ownership of a aspirational instrument that increase enjoyment, and may result in more / longer or more productive practice/ creative sessions. It’s up to each person to define “ aspirational” but I dont see anything in the article linking it to money, as much as quality

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Steve 78, Bill, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Good action and a great tone can inspire better playing, but you can get good action and great tone with a cheap guitar if you swap the pickups and set it up correctly.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  19. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Here’s my take on “pro level” What does pro level actually mean?

The Strats that Eric Clapton and Pete Townsend used for years were inexpensive pawn shop partscasters - they were actual Fenders, but reassembled from parts spanning a few years. Strats we’re not super popular at that time. They were probably considered to be at the level we would expect from a mid range Squier or low end fender today - a working man’s guitar.

Now if a guitar is not built well enough to be properly set up or playable, then it’s just junk - you will find that in every product line.

If pro level now means a custom made guitar painstakingly made by a master luthier (basically an artist in his/her field) then the meaning has changed. Is such a guitar worth the money? Probably - because it’s a beautiful work of art and I will be the first to say that. And a professional musician may well want that instrument that is as beautiful as it is functional. Heck, so would I - I’m certainly not standing on a soapbox proclaiming I won’t buy expensive guitars because they are not worth it - on the contrary!

BUT... in my opinion, a “pro level” instrument needs to be functional above all else and that can be found from $200 (or less, even) to beyond $20,000.

My 0.02, respectfully ;)

Rowdyman, Mad Kiwi and aging_rocker like this.
  20. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

And expensive cars let you to get better girls, everyone knows that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.