Expensive guitar and cheap amp or vice-versa?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GaryOsborne, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Remember the audience hears with their ears; for the the most part, as long as you look basically professional, very few club goers are concerned with your gear. Your perception of your sound is different, both acoustically and psychologically and both can be improved upon. Record your gigs (nothing fancy is needed a small digital device will do) play it back thru some half decent speakers, what does it sound like? If you are too bright, dark what have you learn to dial that out (every one who is playing in an urban area where provided back line is the norm should understand how to get "their sound" out of the basic amps ..(Bandit, Hot rod, Marshall DSL) and a backup digital device. You don't need a "hi fi' device for guitar, you need a working sound that you can dial up thru anything at any time in any place. Every working pro can do this, it's a basic skill that is non negotiable. And it shouldn't be a chore, while it's nice to have your "baby" on a gig, for many people a PV (Redd V, the young Paisley) Yamaha (Mike Stern) or Pod (Pete Anderson) etc has been just that. If it worked for them I'm pretty sure it can work for you:cool:

2. Shuggie

Shuggie TDPRI Member

Amp, within reason I would say makes 90% of your tone. The only important part of the guitar is the pickups, and even those don't matter squat from my little experience. Get a cheap guitar and have attention paid to the neck/fretboard and setup.

3. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

I play a few Roland Cube 60's that I got for less than $200 used.

Side by side with our tube amps, no one has ever been able to tell which are the tubes and which are the Cubes.

Laughing all the way to the bank.

4. dwmagpie

dwmagpie Tele-Meister

I'm more of a cheap-cheap guy, I find it hard to justify spending alot of money on one thing.

Although if I had to go Cheap - Expensive, i'd pick some form of Squier Tele, and a Twin Reverb.

5. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

Cheap and expensive are relative terms. For instance, I got two guitars free:

1. A Kay Vanguard from the mid '60s which a friend found abandoned in his apartment lobby in its original cardboard guitar case. Came with a note for the new owner.

2. An Epiphone Les Paul Special II along with a Squier Champ 15 amp free from someone who was moving out and wanted to pass them on. Ended up passing on the Epiphone to a friend who wanted to get back into guitar.

Another time, I picked up a 22-fret SSS 1998 MIC White Squier Affinity Stratocaster with schallar straplocks and strap, leather gigbag, spare strings, tremolo bar, and a Crate GX-15 practice amp for a grand total of $10.

Find the amp a bit dark, but passable for clean practice.

Despite issues with a weird tuning key and the electronics sometimes cutting out, a couple of professional musicians who played that Affinity said it had great tone. They were playing through a 25 watt SS crate amp at a friend's apartment.

6. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

A cheap guitar and expensive amp will sound better, but an expensive guitar and cheap amp might make you happier :)

You never know.

7. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

Years and YEARS ago....I was told by someone to get a good AMP...(I'm talking in the '60's)

...I didn't listen.

Now, a couple years ago...I finally got a GOOD AMP.

NOW...I understand what that guy was talking about and why he was so much smarter than me....

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

consider this... while this video has been both praised and dissed... it is an excellent comparison.... same amp, same settings, 18 different guitars. And while there have been subtle differences noted... they are so very subtle as to be inconsequential.. but had this been same guitar, same settings, 18 different amps... it would have been considerably different..

Ron Kirn

9. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I would think so. If the guitar is basically playable, it's cheaper to upgrade that than the amp. BTW, I play a Classic Vibe. Once I got the Bill Lawrence pups installed, I couldn't think of any way to improve upon it. Total investment: $300.

10. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Tele-Meister

If the guitar sounds dull and is hard to play, a great amp won't make you sound good.

Nowadays you can get a really good guitar for very reasonable bucks.

$400 guitar + used Cube + lots of practice = good sound.

11. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

I'm by no means an expert or even that great of a player but one thing I do know is that I'm much more drawn to my rig when it inspires me... be that looks, tone, feel, etc. so the main thing is find something that draws you in and make YOU want to PLAY!!! don't let other people live vicariously through your gear or you'll never be happy. You can find more bad than good about almost anything online if you look hard enough. The guys I know that are really good don't seem to know half the stuff we agonize about on here cause they're busy being true to their ear and their gut.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah but whatta most girls know about amps? Now a guitarist, that a different story but I do admit that girls seem to be experts on cools cars and a great haircut. ;)

Oh, and maybe shiny guitars too. :p

13. keithcc

keithcc Tele-Meister

If you scrounge a suitable power transformer and use board mount lytics and bend up your own chassis you ought to be able to build a 5E3 in that ball park range. Or gut an existing junked solid state amp for cab and chassis.

14. micaiah

micaiah Tele-Meister

my first real amp is a late 70's carvin SS pre and Quad EL34 power section 100w switchable to 50w i got it for $200 at a pawn shop my guitars where and are varieties of squier, (tele deluxe) fender strat but my newest is a EVH 2002 wolfgang ( that i just bought off ebay for $470) so i'll part with my squier most likely

this amp is amazing lol i love it with my V30 2x12 cab so amp amp amp amp amp amp and i'm 24

15. TeleTexas

TeleTexas Tele-Meister

Playin a Squier Tele thru a Fender Mustang and it sounds sweet. Would I prefer a Ron Kirn barncaster? Gimme!

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

No right or wrong here, use what works for you. I'm 54, been thru a Gk ml250, Marshall half stack, Mesa DC-5, Fender concert II in my years. What do I use now? 2 Fender Champ 12 with TT 40/40 speakers and nos glass and a Ric M-8 amp for tight squanky vibe when needed. Many preamps and pedals in fold, a few carefully chosen guitar.

But these days I spend more time on this for its uncomplicated nature.... Just me and the strings. Open the case and just play.
    [​IMG]

17. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Really cool video Ron. The guy's kinda goofy but point made nonetheless. I really liked #7. I'm a tele guy so I was sure it would be a tele, nope. It was a freakin Gibson Explorer! Lol. Maybe I should get one, see how many gigs I'll book on Broadway playing that thing, lol. I'm nowhere near good enough to pull it off. I think D.A.C. gets a pass ;)

18. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I gigged a cube 60 with a tele and no pedals for like a year straight. Never had any complaints. I love those things.

19. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

20. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

There was a time when I would have said that spending the most bucks on the amp is the way to go and I suppose that's still true but lately I've been noticing that the so called cheap amps and guitars are worlds better than they used to be and that the lines are starting to blur. I'm finding that I can get some pretty outstanding sounds either way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.