Expecting my first kid, surname conundrum

What surname sounds more natural? (Horsaman is pronounced horse-a-man)

• Smith-Horsaman

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Horsaman-Smith

Votes: 81 83.5%

• Total voters

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Horsaman Smyth(sic)...

Better the first word is 3 syllables the 2nd one syllable easier to say.
Sounds complete.
The other way around could be misunderstood.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
If you were to go with just one surname then I'd go with Smith.
What are you some sort of new age hippy heathen!?

Taking the ladies name………

Calm down, calm down, time to say my mantra to my self “I walked onto his lawn he didn’t walk onto mine”

Curmudgeon….subsiding….

Last edited:

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
Use Horsaman as his first name, Smith as a surname. My SIL did sometning similar; she borrowed a surname from a wealthy realative with no kids for the first name.of her son.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Here in Oz cruel kids would change Horsaman Smith to Horse Sh1t.

Names and initials are important because school kids can be rather cruel.

I got King David at school from the teachers and I was the meekest kid in school and my young brother who's initials are I. M. got I'm King from the teachers he was bullied mercilessly and it has taken close to 50 years for him to put that and many other things behind him.

Choose wisely and good luck.

Oh yeah, congrats on your first born, we celebrated our babies birthday today.

She's 38 and the youngest of five, eldest is 53

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Here in Oz cruel kids would change Horsaman Smith to Horse Sh1t.

Names and initials are important because school kids can be rather cruel.

I got King David at school from the teachers and I was the meekest kid in school and my young brother who's initials are I. M. got I'm King from the teachers he was bullied mercilessly and it has taken close to 50 years for him to put that and many other things behind him.

Choose wisely and good luck.

Oh yeah, congrats on your first born, we celebrated our babies birthday today.

She's 38 and the youngest of five, eldest is 53
In Australia anything is fair game.
I got Nickel ass copper bum.. for Nicholas...
And at Nick.. is that short for Nicole?
You can't win. But you can wear your name with pride.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Trust me I already know how much trouble my partner has with getting people to spell her name right. The usual exchange usually goes like:

Partner: It's Hors-a-man.
Receptionist: How's that spelt?
Partner: H O R S A M A N
Receptionist: Horseaman?

Alternatively

Delivery Driver: How's that spelt?
Partner: Like Horseman but with an A instead of an E
Delivery Driver: looks at you like ****

The name is definitely the result of a spelling mistake that happened hundreds of years ago (looking at ancestory) but that's all the more reason to keep it going at this point.
My last name is Midgette. Yup. After years (especially over the phone) I just say “midget, add a “T” “E” at the end

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
I voted for the less-popular Smith-Horsaman based on ease of pronunciation.

The transition between the two in that order goes from having your tongue between your teeth for the TH to pulling back and rounding your lips for the beginning of Horsaman, which is a pretty fluid move. The other way feels like I have to bring my mouth to a screeching stop and do a hard change of direction between Horsaman and Smith.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I vote Horsaman-Smith. It kind of reminds me of ( James Honeyman-Scott...)My Daughter is a hyphenated name as she wanted to include our last name to carry it forward as part of her interest in our ancestry. It's no big deal anymore as there are lots of hyphenated names.

Whatever you choose...give the child a first name that everyone can say without making a mistake. Parents can be total idiots in this regard.

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
imho...Just pick one. Basically, it should be the mother's name. It will be a pita the child to have to write/say two last names for the rest of their life. Or just get married. Congratulations!

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Me and my partner have been together nearly 10 years and expecting our first kid. We're not married so my surname is Smith and hers is Horsaman (horse-a-man).

My surname is common as muck plus I'm the only Smith in my immediate family. It was my mum's last name but she married not-my-dad before I was 2 and has remarried and divorced another not-my-dad since. All my siblings have different surnames and even I went by my mum's first husband's surname up until the age of 9.

On the other hand there are only very very few Horsamans in the UK, only in my county. We're going to double barrel our names when we get married but our kid will be here first.

Me and my partner can't agree on what sounds more natural so looking for more opinions. Mums net is full of whackos so I'm asking you guys instead. 🤣
Our kids have said they are glad we did not go either of those routes as well as they don't care. I'd have survived if they had their mother's, mine or a combo of our names. We did not really think about any names seriously until very near or right after birth. Things can go wrong so taking that route can help if they do.

Now what seems far more important than the kids' names is all we did to be an intact family and consistent. I'm offering you best wishes and lots of luck for all that's ahead!

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
I voted for the less-popular Smith-Horsaman based on ease of pronunciation.

The transition between the two in that order goes from having your tongue between your teeth for the TH to pulling back and rounding your lips for the beginning of Horsaman, which is a pretty fluid move. The other way feels like I have to bring my mouth to a screeching stop and do a hard change of direction between Horsaman and Smith.

This was my opinion. My main concern about double barreling is having a name that is too long and sounds pretentious. Smith-Horsaman negates it somewhat because it does sort of mush together.

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
I vote Horsaman-Smith. It kind of reminds me of ( James Honeyman-Scott...)My Daughter is a hyphenated name as she wanted to include our last name to carry it forward as part of her interest in our ancestry. It's no big deal anymore as there are lots of hyphenated names.

Whatever you choose...give the child a first name that everyone can say without making a mistake. Parents can be total idiots in this regard.

Don't worry in that regard, after giving the kid a double barrel surname we will definitely be keeping the first name ordinary.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
H-S. Alpha order is the most prevalent...but certainly not required.

There's no way to prevent childhood nicknames. I was called "Cram" until I had a very short, nonverbal discussion with the offending bully.

I used the stock "Marc Smith, with a C" until I watched an idiot write "Mark Cmith"...

My little brother was a John Smith. He lived with constant jokes, "sure you are...what's your real name?, Where's Pocahontas? Motel -Registration Smith?" etc, etc.

Having an alternate spelling is a double-edged sword. For legal paperwork, I always have to sign an "aka" document asserting "Mark" is a known alias...which means somewhere in my file, somebody got it wrong on an official doc. Legal fees to have that corrected are insane.