Expect people to disappoint you.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I look at the workplace as a ocean-going vessel.
There, we find the Crew;
passengers;
stowaways: and
pirates

Show the crew how much they are valued.
See if it's possible to remind the "passengers" this is not a cruise.
Help the stowaways figure out this can be a safe place to pitch in, or find a new place to hide out.
And the pirates? Get 'em off your boat before they literally sink you.
YMMV

Peace - Deeve

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I nearly always avoided supervisory-type positions, for various reasons......but, without honestly knowing specifics of your company or employer, I'm just guessing this may be due to an all-too-common issue today.....nobody has loyalty for anyone.....employee OR employer. When wages and benefits are in a "race to the bottom", why should anyone expect excellent performance? I have been the dedicated and loyal employee for companies, and then gotten the shaft along with the "layabouts". In fact, often it's the political (and incompetent) players who were kept around, while better skilled and diligent workers got their pink slips. So....which came first, the greedy employer or the lazy employee? I don't know. I just know THAT is the new (or latest) reality. :(

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
At 50 I've finally accepted this is the case with nearly all interpersonal relationships. Especially on the dating side of things where hopes sometimes cause enough optimism that one feels naively secure.

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
Back when I was a manager, my #1 rule was, if you get into trouble on a project, tell me. If you come to me four weeks from deadline and say you're two weeks behind, there will be no recriminations and you won't get in trouble. I'll just shuffle things around and find the resources to help you get back on track. But if you come to me two weeks from deadline and tell me you're four weeks behind, then you'd better believe there are going to be recriminations and consequences.

I didn't expect people to disappoint me - I had a good team of professionals who were motivated to do their best, because their names went prominently on their work - but I always planned for what I would do when someone didn't deliver up to snuff. When von Moltke the Elder wrote "No plan of battle survives contact with the enemy," he didn't mean "so don't waste time planning in detail." He was advising that you plan for every contingency. Plan A will fail, so have a plan B. And have a plan C for when B fails, and a plan D for when C fails, and so on through the alphabet. As others have stated, I don't think you should expect team members to disappoint you, but as the manager you must think ahead and be prepared to deal with that possibility.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Those above you see you as inferior, those beneath you in the chain of command see you as the "man" they'd like to have the chance to stick it to. If you believe otherwise, you surely will find yourself disappointed at those you work with over, and over.

I'll 2nd this TD! Spot on my man. It's sad but so very true.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
This is good. I agree. I need to improve here. I need to tell the team "back to basics". Set the expectation. I ASSUME a sales rep understands to call the customer lead immediately to find out if there is an opportunity. It seems obvious. But I don't talk about it enough..... great advice.
It's tough. I've been in management for 30 years and I'm still surprised by the common sense things some people don't seem to understand. I had a young man who had a swimsuit model in a wet skimpy bathing suit for a screen saver and couldn't figure out why I made him change it.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The thing to always keep in mind is that you are the manager, because the people underneath you are not. You have certain qualities that made you a candidate to become a manager. Whatever your career path has been, becoming a manager is a totally new job. Your goal is to motivate, inspire and help your team members with personal growth along with the obvious company goal of success. You need to learn management skills and learn how and when to use them. This will take time, successes and failures along the way. Some people in management find that it is not the profession that they like … for instance … me. So, don’t consider that management must be a stepping stone to success, because it might not be.

Good luck @Bluesboy3 .

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
….I feel that those that work directly for me as well as others in our company do not see the big picture and do not put forth good effort to work to the goal of the company.
Early 2000’s I worked at insurance company which thought the future was satellite desks in grocery stores. They recruited people to staff these mini-offices and put forth for the goal of the company. After 2 years management (not the workers) decided to close all of these sites and abandon the big picture. The people who put forth were put out. How about that picture.

Last edited:

pi

Tele-Meister
feel that those that work directly for me as well as others in our company do not see the big picture and do not put forth good effort to work to the goal of the company

This is a harsh truth, but as a manager, this is your job. In fact, it's pretty much all of your job.

If you're not getting your team to see the big picture, what value are you bringing as a manager?

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
-It's very hard to find good people. keep your finger on the pulse of those you have. They will surprise you and move on if you dont treat them well.
-I just could never work a job and not try to make it great. But not all are built like that. I ended up in management every time, while not looking for it. I'm just a country boy and ended up VP.
-Sometimes people below you will surprise you when placed in a higher position. When making a choice or promotion, ask your good people about it. Who they might recommend. They buy in better, and become enthused when they feel like part of the decision. Some people who dont look the part end up great.
-Set an expectation. Don't put up with people who just show up and dont do anything. It becomes a culture. A great culture will carry on for a long time when the people that started it are gone.
-Inform all your people. Make them believe, keep them in the loop. Tell them why.

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
I wasnt going to post on any of these type cafe threads , but I think you’re letting yourself get shafted both ways by your work attitude.
People can just lay their work off on you, and know you won’t say no when it won’t get done to your standards. Your perfectionist sounding boss(expect people to disappoint) doesn’t have to fire or hire anymore people to pick up the slack that he knows you will cover. Saw this in a co. I worked at.

Life’s to short to take work,anxiety,disappointment , and high expectations from owners home mentally every day.I’ve seen a relative do what your doing and it’s led to major health problems starting at around 50 that he’ll have life long.
Never was management, but it was offered. Just tried to put in an honest days work for agreed wage and be done.
I very much agree with this. (although I don't know what a cafe thread is:lol:). I personally believe I would use to describe the behavior you describe in sentence #2 is "apathy". Your third sentence about others picking up the slack is spot on. There are in particular 2 or three high level managers that do way more than their fair share..... spot on.

old soul

Tele-Holic
Keep your expectations low, that way if someone actually does what they're paid to do it's a nice surprise.
I've worked a good number of years in both public and private sectors, and the work ethic a lot of people have is pathetic. Disgusting, actually.
I really cant put my finger on when it became the norm for employees to call the shots, not the employer.

KyAnne

Tele-Afflicted
If you're in a director role and the big picture is someone else issue and if all the other directors felt the same way.....who's issue is it?
At my former Company, the answer to your question would be VP, President (of a State), then on up to the Executive Vice Presidents, Senior Executive Vice Pesident(s) then finally to the CEO.

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
High expectations are stressful for everyone, including you.

Last edited:

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm a big theory Y guy (but it doesn't always work). Managers job is primarily:
1. Match needed projects with the right personnel
2. Empower personnel with as much autonomy as possible to shape how the work gets done (and the product, when appropriate)
3. Provide resource supports to personnel to help them do their jobs.