Expanding a pickguard hole

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TelZilla, Dec 26, 2014.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

So I have a pickguard from Warmoth with some mini humbucker sized holes, and a couple of GFS mini humbuckers. One issue: the pups are a tiny bit to big for the holes on the "long" side.

It's super close- probably not mor than 1/8th of an inch.

What's the best way to make the holes a tiny bit bigger?

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Doing it freehand has it's risks but I'd use a Dremel tool. Mark the opening on both sides then tape it off to avoid going too far and to keep a straight edge. Then carefully use a little drum sanding bit to take it back a little. I had to do that around the control plate on one of my Teles.

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

use double stick tape and a few small straight edged blocks and frame a ring around the existing hole, large enough for the new pickup... then using a router bit of a diameter that will accommodate the radius on the corners of the pickup, usually ¼ inch diameter with a pattern tracing bit, then cut the booger to fit... it's actually pretty simple...

Ron Kirn

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

In this case a routing template made to cut out the larger cavity isn't a bad thing to invest your time in. If you have a table saw or planer, you can plane down some scrap that is as wide as you need for the pickup's width.

Cut a fairly long length about 12 inches or so in half of about 6 inches each. Take two more wider pieces that are 4" wide or more by say 12" long, and glue them to the first two. These longer pieces will become the long sides of the template. The first two are the width of the template. The four pieces will become the template when glued together.

That way you have ample room for plenty of double sided tape and a place to hang onto while you are routing.

Put on double sided tape, line up the pickguard to the rout marks you put on there, put a flush trim bit in a router table, and then flush trim it.

5. Diamond White

Diamond White Tele-Meister

Rat tail file. 10 minutes. Done.

6. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

I dremeled a pickup cutout enlargement free- hand - take a little bit, check, repeat til done. Piece of cake if you take your time.

7. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Yep, keep it simple, especially if this is a one-off.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well the builders have the correct advice as usual but neglect to ask whether or not the OP has or even has access to the router, bits , and a template to do the job correctly.

I respect you guys tremendously but some of us lack a shop setup like you have that allows for things to be done "just right" so we have to come up with something close enough to get a job done with what we have.

Just call us the McGyvers of the guitar world. ;)

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

What's the best way to make the holes a tiny bit bigger? Those are the best ways...:) The rat tail file is pretty mcgyver-ish if you ask me... he can use duct tape to hold it down...:)

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

What he said. No need to risk power tools and a slip-up when it's so simple with files. Best of luck.
    Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.