1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Exile On Main Street

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cravenmonket, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Huh??? :eek: I dunno about that. “Goats Head Soup”, “Some Girls” and “Tattoo You” were all excellent.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  2. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Yeah, “Rocks Off” is a pretty strong opener but as ubiquitous as they are “Sympathy For The Devil” , “Brown Sugar” and “Start Me Up” are stronger. I actually like “Rocks Off” as a song over all of those, however.

My personal favorite Stones openers are “Gimme Shelter” (Dark and sinister, quite the antithesis of an opener), and “Mother’s Little Helper” off of the U.K. “Aftermath” LP (not the butchered hack job U.S. LP!) “What a drag it is getting old......”

3. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Great thread.

cravenmonket likes this.
  4. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Sorry, forgot about Gimme Shelter, you're right, best opener there and probably greatest song they ever recorded.

They started out as young whipper snappers imitating the blues masters, on that track and others they finally equal them or even surpass them.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Curiously I now find at least a couple people that consider GHS a “great” record .
    I don’t and never have. I lump it in with Black and Blue and Only Rock N Roll.

Tattoo You is an odds and sods/what’s in the wastebasket record. Almost all of it dates from the seventies. Some of the tracks were 10 years old. I think Start Me Up dates back 7 or 8 years. Hell - Mick Taylor is on a couple tracks !

Some Girls is a great record. If you get/stream the whole thing , it’s even more impressive. Another whole disc full of great songs, almost any of which could hold their own on the original release.

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

VH-1 used to show 'Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones " concert footage from this era ( maybe Texas?), and whenever I've seen it, all I can think is:
    " I wanna be Mick Taylor in this band!"

His tone and playing ("Love in Vain"!!)
    just make me smile, and the band is locked in with Mick Jagger as the ultimate frontman

DonM and tubegeek like this.
  7. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I saw L&GTRS in theaters when it first came out. Every place showing it had to beef-up the sound system to present it as part of their deal. LOUD.

DonM and Chiogtr4x like this.
  8. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Sticky Fingers for me, too. It's a rare double LP that wouldn't be better pared down to a single disc.

That said, I'm still going out to buy Wildflowers & All The Rest this weekend.

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'd love that!

I LOVE all Stones guitar players and their individual gifts, but Mick Taylor ( you can hear it in the Bluesbreakers too) tone and vibrato ( so natural for him!) make me wanna cry, it's so good!

( big fan of what he does throughout 'Its Only Rock & Roll' album)

tubegeek likes this.
  10. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have mine! I bought the LP for $1 from my college roommate who was thinning his collection in 1978. I took a while to fully appreciate Exile but it remains a fine example of the sloppy, loose character of the Stones at their best. I've always liked spontaneous live performances that deviate from the studio recordings, and this album has always had that feel to me.

tubegeek likes this.
  11. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

That works.

12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Having reread your initial post, I really like it a lot more on a second reading , very well put as we asay in the out yonder world of hoops, 3 POINTS!

cravenmonket likes this.
  13. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I'm in love with Exile. I think my favorite tune is "Let it Loose"...I'm drawn to the vibrato guitar and the horn break.

I HIGHLY recommend the 33 1/3 book Bill Janovitz (Buffalo Tom) wrote about Exile on Main St. It's pretty much a series of song-by-song essays in which he lovingly dissects his favorite record. He also includes great material about Bobby Keyes and Gram Parsons and all that legend and lore surrounding the recording process.

srblue5 likes this.
  14. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

GHS has its moments but I don't consider it a favourite. In my opinion, it just drags -- when I used to practice drums along to Stones albums, that was one album where I was always accidentally speeding up. Star Star sounds so much better live in '75 and '78. I used to like IORR when I was younger but in hindsight, it's only slightly better than GHS.

Some Girls is awesome. I like Tattoo You. I'm not much of a music video guy but the Waiting On a Friend promo film always makes me smile, especially seeing Mick and Keith walking down the street together. It's how I imagine they were when they first met at that train station.

15. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Well, yes, a good chunk of “Tattoo You” was comprised of earlier recordings (albeit not altogether complete) but still manages to hold together as a cohesive album.

As for Goatshead, I wouldn’t consider it “great” but IMHO it’s one of 70s Stones albums that I consider essential. “Dancing With Mr. D”, “Star Star”, “Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)”, “Coming Down Again” and the absolutely drop dead gorgeous “Winter”.

The two 70s albums I’m like “meh” about are “Black and Blue” and “It’s Only Rock n Roll”. They have their moments, though.

16. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Black and Blue is one of the few Stones albums I never bothered purchasing. Same for Emotional Rescue and Undercover. I’ve since listened to them on Spotify, and stand by that decision.

The last Stones studio album I purchased upon release was Bridges to Babylon, and I truthfully should have probably stopped at Voodoo Lounge.

17. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The Stones have "eras" and their albums evolve through those eras. So it's totally ok for people to have favourites based on the sound of the era they were recorded in. Personally I love that the Stones haven't made the same album 16 times like some other classic rock bands out there. Exile was great, and so was Sticky Fingers, but I'm glad they didn't just sit still in those sounds.

Double Stop likes this.
  18. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If your high school garage band was better than one of the best rock albums of all time, you'd think someone would have wanted to preserve those tapes, huh?

19. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

I discovered this album after listening to most of their other material. It was like being in the shallow end of the pool and not knowing there was a deep end the whole time.

What an amazing album, their tour de force. Just great music without all the shiny ribbons and bows. Gritty, soulful music from the heart.

tubegeek likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.