1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Exile On Main Street

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cravenmonket, Oct 11, 2020.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I've also read somewhere that after their very successful 4 song stint at Muscle Shoals that they wanted to record Exile there.
    Apparently Keith's U.S. entanglements wouldn't allow that.

2. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Sticky Fingers. All day. Every day. Twice on Sunday.

3. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I agree that Voodoo Lounge is grossly underrated, possibly their best post-Some Girls work.

I can’t get with you vis a vis Emotional Rescue, although the title track is a favorite of mine.

4. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

100%. I would also add that the fade-in of "Shake Your Hips" afterwards is genius.

Greggorios and cravenmonket like this.
  5. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Voodoo Lounge is definitely underrated and has some great moments.

I'm probably in the minority but I think Steel Wheels is also underrated, although not without some '80s cheese and a few not-so-great moments.

6. Hatfield92

Steel Wheels holds a place in my heart, because that era marks the beginning of my Stones obsession. I still think Mixed Emotions is a strong track. Continental Drift hasn’t aged well, nor has Sad Sad Sad and the more radio friendly efforts.

That tour also marked a turning point in the stones’ live presentation, not always for the better, in my estimation. For instance, I miss the loosey-goosy version of “Cant Always Get” that they did from the mid 70s till Steel Wheels (see Love You Live for my favorite version of the song).

Chuck Leavell (sp?) is a fine musician, and has done a lot to keep the Stones engine chugging. But I don’t agree with all his musical decisions.

Then again, maybe I’m seeing Chuck’s fingerprints when it’s actually Mick’s doing.

Whatever. I’m just glad I finally decided to see them in ‘15, after a decade plus of being able to finally afford them but not willing to tolerate their then-current stage act. I kept hoping for a more stripped down, Some Girls era presentation.

Alas, I don’t think they’re ever going to go that way again. Charlie in particular seems especially feeble. Heartbreaking.

Sorry. I’ve rambled on again about my favorite group... by a mile.

Greggorios and Minivan Megafun like this.
  7. Hatfield92

One more thing: I would give ANYTHING to be able to form a decent Stones-heavy cover band once in my life. I’ve never been able to get a like minded group together. YET!

cravenmonket likes this.
  8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

That is DEFINITELY an unpopular opinion!

Minivan Megafun likes this.
  9. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Hell yes! That's the only kind of band I'd want to play in! Not really so much for the specific covers, but because they always look like they're having so much fun, and the music is simple enough that you can bash it out and dance around like a mincing, cramped, scrawny Mick Jagger and have the time of your life. If we didn't live 3,000 miles away from each other, I'd be all over that!

MJB.jpg

Greggorios and Hatfield92 like this.
  10. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Was always amazed Rocks Off was not released as a single. I think its the best opener of any Stones album.

11. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Oh yeah, this is certainly my favorite album of the Stones.
    It was actually the first non-greatest hits album I bought (newspaper delivery money) after being gifted a stereo by my parents. Strange to think of that- it was the late 70s, and I was an early-Beatles fan, and the Beach Boys, Chuck Berry...really not knowledgeable at all but I just knew what I liked and what I didn't. I was listening to my sisters' Partridge Family and Elton John Greatest Hits, and the 45s she'd gotten, and some I'd gotten too.
    I'd heard all the Stones' hits of course, and as I recall I would listen to the latest hit (Emotional Rescue), so this is 1980 and I'm 12 years old, in between elementary school and junior high, late at night on my radio laying in bed. Well, when I bought Exile it was really a stretch, because I only knew Tumbling Dice, but it was a double album...had to mean something, right? Also the artwork for it caught my eye.
    Got it home, put on album one, side one, and wow! Rocks Off, and I knew I'd made a good choice!
    Yeah it's my go-to really.

cravenmonket, RYAN1987M and tubegeek like this.
  12. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Oh man, I can get into this. Voodoo Lounge was the album that brought me into the Stones and began my almost 30 year fanatical obsession. I absolutely agree with you about Steel Wheels because at the time the Live at the MAX was one of the few easily available VHS tapes of their live shows. That coupled with the Flashpoint CD... The live versions from that tour (and probably Stripped era) to me is quintessential live Stones. Mixed Emotions is the stand out from Steel Wheels and it still sounds good today. The rest of the album sounds a bit dated and lyrically it's rather cheesy in some spots. I still like Sad Sad Sad, Almost Hear You Sigh, and Break the Spell is still pretty good.

As for Chuck Leavell... I did agree with you until I experienced his live playing outside of the Stones. In 2015 they played Minneapolis and I took a road trip down to see them. The night before the concert, Tim Reese had put together a band that consisted of local musicians as well as a collection of people from the Stones backing band. They played a jazz club and did jazz inspired interpretations of Stones songs. Bernard sang lead on a bunch of them. AND Charlie Watts was in the house and sat behind the kit for a couple songs! But another highlight was when Chuck got up there and sat down at the piano for a handful of tunes. OMG the piano came ALIVE under his hands! That man can play the boogie woogie. I gained a whole new appreciation for what he does in the Stones.

Now, I will say that by the mid 00's Keith had become much too reliant on Chuck to basically comp his rhythm parts on the piano. That might have been a product of Keith's serious drinking problem in that era but who knows?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Hatfield92 likes this.
  13. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Emotional Rescue is a criminally underrated album. It was like a rawer less produced version of Some Girls. They run through everything from disco, pop, blues, rock, and even edging into punk. Let Me Go is one of my favourite tracks they've recorded. It's just got that groove and swing to it.

tubegeek likes this.
  14. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw them on the Fourth of July, 1972 in Wash., DC on their Exile on Main Street Tour. I remember they did Tumbling Dice, Rocks Off, All Down the Line, and Happy from Exile; the main ones I wanted to hear from that album.
    Mick Taylor was on fire, Jagger was all coked up, Keith was Keith, and Nicky Hopkins on piano and Bobby Keys on sax. Plus, they did all of the good ones from Sticky Fingers. Doesn’t get any better than that.

15. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

You can say that again!

That must have been like seeing Dylan in 1965. Pearl Jam in 1991. The Smiths in 1987. The Clash in 1979. Apex stuff. Magic!

DonM likes this.
  16. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It was. And the opening act was Stevie Wonder.

cravenmonket likes this.
  17. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

You’re right about that; it’s so...them.

18. 3-Saddle Bridge

3-Saddle Bridge TDPRI Member

Wish I coulda seen it. Some reckon it was better with Ronnie, I reckon Keith became Keith BECAUSE Mick Taylor was there in that era.
    Also remember they liked Muscle Shoals so much (69?), that if they could have done Exile there, it would have even been even better. (think they did Brown Sugar, Wild Horses there?).

Remember interview with Jagger (67), asked about the future of the Stones, the reply was something like "Well if we go for another 3 years, we will have made some music, and had some fun", that would have seen them finish only 50 yrs ago.:)

edit- didn't see Rodeo Tex already has the Muscle Shoals connection.
    cheers

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    DonM likes this.
  19. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

For me this is the best Stones Album :D:D:D

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-16 um 09.18.54.png

Minivan Megafun likes this.
  20. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Yes, but don’t forget Bowie. He had probably the greatest 10 year run from 1970-1980 in rock history. Truly unparalleled.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.