1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Exile On Main Street

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cravenmonket, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant TDPRI Member

Exile is their best, and possibly the best rock album ever, but unfortunately it's also their last good one until Blue and Lonesome.

2. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I remember how dismayed I was, when I heard the new Stones album was going to be a double. A single album was a bit more than £2 and a double was likely to retail at £3.50 or £4. For a teenager, discovering beer at 11p a pint, or bottles of cheap wine, starting at 50p, that was a lot of abstinence, for a largely unknown product, with little pre-release publicity.

I bit the bullet and made the investment. I still have it- and the cd. It was a good decision- not my undisputed favourite but a classic, which successive generations have validated.

Greggorios and cravenmonket like this.
  3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Do you still have your postcards?

SuprHtr likes this.
  4. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gimme Shelter doesn't even crack my top 25 or so Stones songs.

tubegeek likes this.
  5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Which are....?

mrbdxmpl likes this.
  6. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

absolutely freakin love exile. easily in my top 10 albums of all time. desert island worthy

Marc Morfei likes this.
  7. Colo Springs E

Well, wont list all 25..... but I like Rocks Off, All Down the Line, I got the Blues, Only Rock n roll, Let it bleed, Shattered, Sweet Virginia, Live with me, Its all over now, Moonlight mile, Stray cat blues, Factory girl, You got the silver, Through and thru and many others better than Gimme shelter.

tubegeek likes this.
  8. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

I would just give it to all of the Mick Taylor era of albums, including Get Your Ya Yas out.

SuprHtr and black_doug like this.
  9. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Quick stab at it:

20201013_201514.jpg

... I forgot Salt Of The Earth, oh well.

10. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Listen to Keith's voice at 32:50 (harmonies to Sweet Virginia). Holy smokes.

Ed Driscoll likes this.
  11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

This thread qualifies in that other thread about the rabbit holes (to me at least)

A favorite album of mine, but I bet that basement smelled like a sweaty-ass men's locker room.

Greggorios and Colo Springs E like this.
  12. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I don’t have time to slog through the whole four pages, but I’ve long been of the opinion that no other band has ever produced a better four in a row than Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile. 1968-72, they were on fire.

Greggorios and mrbdxmpl like this.
  13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If your high school garage band wrote songs like these, I want to hear those tapes:

Colo Springs E likes this.
  14. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Our high school tapes were much, much better than any of these. Unfortunately I used Radio Shack blank reel-to-reel tapes which turned to dust over 40 years ago. So...destiny lost. Shame.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is it even a rock song?

16. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

What about "Happy"?

SuprHtr and tubegeek like this.
  17. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Ah finally a thread for me!

I love Exile! It's also the namesake for my Stones tribute: "The Main St Exiles"

I agree that the album has to be listened to as a whole. The songs are all good but they fit together in such a way that the whole is better than the parts. However there are songs off Exile that they have played at nearly every show for the past 50 years. Happy, Tumbling Dice, and All Down the Line are fixtures in their live sets.

As to the commentary about Taylor vs Wood. Taylor was very of that time and I think his style had run its course with the band. Keith and Brian Jones had that interwoven guitar style where you almost can't tell who is playing which parts. Then Taylor came it and it was hard panned lead and rhythm. Keith and Ronnie are much more into the interwoven style again to where there isn't a defined lead or rhythm player in the band. And if you doubt the talent of Keith Richard's, Beggars Banquet was pretty close to all Keith on the guitars (also he played both the bass and guitar parts in Sympathy For the Devil). Taylor did some overdubs but the album was basically finished by the time he joined.

I prefer Ronnie. I like his style and the energy he brings to the band. There are so many examples of his awesome playing (solos in When the Whip Comes Down, and his guitar in Worried About You is phenomenal).

And here's an unpopular opinion: if Exile is their best, their second best is Emotional Rescue. I love every song on that record and it's a great listen front to back every time.

ALSO, to say they never made a good record after Some Girls is preposterous. Their style continued to evolve yes, but Voodoo Lounge is another of my favourites. It's the band playing together in a studio live off the floor in many cases with more stripped down arrangements. I've read about the making of that record and people around the band were stunned to see Mick and Keith in a vocal booth together recording harmonies.

dkmw and Colo Springs E like this.
  18. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Damn fine recording from thier best era......but I have to go with sticky fingers.

19. Colo Springs E

Wow, just read about the meaning--I never knew!

20. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Presumably the genesis of the song Ventilator Blues?

Greggorios and RodeoTex like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.