1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Exile On Main Street

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cravenmonket, Oct 11, 2020.

1. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I don't think any of those records would have happened with Ron Wood on guitar. They all would have sounded like Start Me Up.

And I can't find one single spot on Ya Ya's where it sounds to me like Mick Taylor is overplaying. I love Mick Taylor – fluid licks and leads, a complete contrast between him and Keith Richards. With Mick Taylor they were explosive... with Ron Wood they sound too comfortable.

I love the clip on youtube of them doing Dead Flowers, with Mick Taylor playing counter melodies behind the vocal like a real country musician would. Compare that to Far Away Eyes, where the backing is bland.

SuprHtr, beyer160, stevemc and 2 others like this.
  2. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I'd put that four (?) year run of Beggars Banquet/Let it Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile against any band of any era. Of those albums, Exile was always my favorite too. It should be next to impossible for some dufas loser growing up in suburbia to identify with a millionaire rock star junkie who gets laid every night by super models. But when i hear Exile, I still somehow relate to the musicianship. I can feel myself in the room trying to bang out a song. Weird, I know.

mrbdxmpl, rand z and cravenmonket like this.
  3. Crows

Crows TDPRI Member

Apologies for being pedantic, but ‘Exile’....detail matters :)

koen likes this.
  4. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Well, clearly I'm just weird. Everybody loves it, but me. Which is why I persevere with it ("OK, Computer" is the another one - should love it, don't get it). There are such an incredible number of records I'd rather be playing than "Exile", or any of the Stones albums you mention really. There are some great songs of course, but it tunrs out I'm a "Rolling Stones Greatest Hits" guy - the original albums lose my interest pretty quick.
    It's not just the junkie thing on "Exile" either - after all, I adore the f*cked up sloppiness of Johnny Thunders.

Probably shouldn't have commented really - no point being a Grinch. But it does fascinate me that such a universally adored record does almost nothing for me.

GGardner and cravenmonket like this.
  5. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Hey Squawker, I don't think you are being a grinch, Exile is a great album but not everyone's favourite.

I much prefer the Stones albums to the "big Hits" such as Start Me Up etc. Beggars Banquet never fails to move my old bones.

Many people seem to adore Prince but I fail to understand the appeal. Purple Rain sounds amateurish to me, likewise anything by Oasis, but they are popular artists.

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I like the period that was late 70s and early 80s.
    Some Girls and Tattoo You , both had really big Stones songs.
    Also their Live Get yer Ya Ya's Out was released here. We, our band , played Oh Carol, Queenie and Midnight Rambler from listening to those.
    Have seen them live and have always been impressed.

7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Different strokes I guess. I think Far Away Eyes is genius in every way.

I've always felt Some Girls was their last "great" record, and some of that could have to do with the fact it was the soundtrack of my life during my last two years of high school.

I do think Tattoo You had some good moments.

8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Agreed. The only 5-year burst that compares with this is the Beatles, who between 1966-69 put out Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, the White Album, and Abbey Road. Formidable, and mind-boggling.
    What the Stones did during 1968-72 (those 4 albums you named plus Ya-Yas) is greater than almost any other band's entire career.

SuprHtr, RodeoTex, tomkatf and 2 others like this.
  9. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

TY is a grab bag from leftovers going all the way back to when Mick Taylor was still in the band. But yeah, a great album!

RodeoTex likes this.
  10. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Yep. I'm right there with you.

When a Prince song comes on the radio and everyone starts losing their s**t, I'm always waiting to see if I'll get it this time. Never do. He was a really fantastic guitarist - great soloist - but his songs are so over-produced, and so gimmicky, and they sound utterly superficial and forgettable to me. But hundreds of millions would disagree!

And Oasis? They were convinced they were some new Beatles, blessing the world with their music in the 90s. But they were just a breathtakingly average, utterly derivative group, fronted by a narcissistic attention-hog. The songs aren't bad, they're just not that original or interesting, and the lyrics are garbage. There were many other far more interesting and creative bands working in the shadow of Oasis. Plus, the vocals are always mixed too high, I can't listen to the songs without cringing - Liam was convinced he was the world's greatest singer; I'm sure that's why they mixed them that way.

SuprHtr and stevemc like this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Different strokes. For me his tired pentatonic noodling during the verse and chorus vocals ruins what would have been a great performance.

Call and response? Sure. But for me that performance is the classic “guitarist who thinks the whole song is about the guitar” scenario. No room for the song to breathe.

If the whole song is guitar, then guitar can’t come in and lift when the time is right. Ron and Keith understand that.

All IMO of course.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    koen likes this.
  12. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

I'll put this here, and you can all disagree :D

Chronic Town - Murmur - Reckoning - Fables of the Reconstruction - Life's Rich Pageant - Document ('82 - '87)

13. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin' - Another Side of Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home - Highway 61 Revisited - Blonde On Blonde - John Wesley Harding - Nashville Skyline (1963-1969)

14. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I Never Loved A Man, Aretha Arrives, Lady Soul, Aretha Now, was no slouch.

cravenmonket likes this.
  15. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Jimmy Miller was super important to their sound in that era....I love the sound he gets on Charlie's drums....

but just as important to their sound of the era....Mick Taylor.

SuprHtr and beyer160 like this.
  16. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I'd agree Exile is the best Stones album. I've always liked Goats Head Soup, it's probably number 2 for me. Exile has so many great songs and great guitar work (M. Taylor). This song comes to mind and there's an interesting story behind it.

Colo Springs E and tubegeek like this.
  17. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I'm not sure how long it will stay up on YouTube, but the aforementioned Stones in Exile documentary from 2010, with then-new commentary from Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts, among others, is online there:

RodeoTex likes this.
  18. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

That is the song I want played at my wedding or my funeral, whichever comes first...

19. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

Hah - this!! Excellent point. But the Stones make a good argument for second place....

cravenmonket likes this.
  20. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

So I haven't read every post word for word, but saw at least one mention of the film, "Stones in Exile." I don't think you can truly understand the album without watching this - it really strips back the myth. We all love to imagine the romance of recording this in the basement of Keith's villa in the south of France, but it turned into an overheated, junk-fueled sh*t show and Mick and Keith put that album together in a studio in California after everything cooled down. It doesn't change the fact that this is my favorite Stones album, and one of my top ten, but it's rather ironic that those hot and fast three chord burners that sound like they were cut live in two takes were stitched together half way around the world months later....

Ah, now I see someone has posted Stones in Exile right above this - watch it!

cravenmonket likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.