1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Exile On Main Street

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cravenmonket, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not only is it their best record, it is anyone's best record. In other words, for my money the single best rock album of all time. I could go on and on about all the reasons why. Let's just say it is a stunning record, and sounds every bit as good today as it did (almost) 50 years ago. Too many highlights to name. But it's not an album built around highlights. Every second of it is consistently great, and it holds together as a unified sound and concept as well as any record ever made. Tumblin Dice is maybe the most familiar song, and has the groove. But my personal favorite moment: when the choir of angels comes in (1:54) as Mick sings "Angels beating their wings in time..." on Shine a Light. Also, the turnaround entering the solo in that song (2:40) is brilliant. Enjoy.

Dan R, RodeoTex, Greggorios and 4 others like this.
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And they did all that in one 5-year span.

3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Considering it's a double LP and covers everything from rock to roots, yes. Otherwise, it would be Music from Big Pink or Dixie Chicken.

4. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

You can smell the warm tubes in the Ampegs if you listen closely to Ya Yas.

"Paint it black you devil."

beyer160, stevemc, rand z and 4 others like this.
  5. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Possibly the best record from what may well be the best hot streak in rock history. Ronnie may play better with Keith, but musically I'll always dig Mick's playing more.

SuprHtr, black_doug, rand z and 4 others like this.
  6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Exile is my favorite Stones' record and it's not really that close. The run from Beggars Banquet-Let it Bleed - Sticky Fingers -- Exile is impeccable, but Exile is the only Stones' album that connects with me on an emotional level.

tubegeek and cravenmonket like this.
  7. BrazHog

BrazHog Tele-Meister

I'm in the same page as you. Exile was one of the first records I bought after moving to the US 20-ish years ago, and I have been a big fan ever since. I hadn't been too keen on the Stones before; as a child of the 80's, the first album of them I became aware of was Dirty Work. It was a hard pass for me, I have to say (I blame the payola and the music press gushing about how the Stones were some paragon of anti-establishment rebelliousness).

Later on, I may have borrowed some other Stones albums, but none of them made a big impression. Never even recorded any of them to tape! The only one that I really liked was Exile. After getting Exile, I gave some of their earlier albums a try, and they kind of paled in comparison, for me at least.

Perhaps Exile is the Stones equivalent of the Goldberg Variations. Lots of people that are not that into classical music will listen and enjoy the Variations, which annoys the True Connoisseurs.

So yeah, Exile is my favorite too... and it's not even close. Sorry if I annoyed any True Connoisseur!

cravenmonket and tubegeek like this.
  8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Great album!

It's said that this is the Exile on Main St amp, the Ampeg GU-12.

[​IMG]

9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Perhaps as far as commercial success goes, but Rocks Off and Sweet Virginia are both in my Stones top 10, none of the ones you mention are.

10. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Keith Richards likes the way him and Ron Wood play together, but to me it just sounds like they're always tiptoeing around each other. I'm sure it's easier to play this way and maybe more fun for Keith Richards, but it becomes predictable and boring – and that's exactly what they became with Ron Wood: predictable and boring. In the Mick Taylor days, Keith Richards drove the songs and Mick Taylor played great leads and fills. The music feels unpredictable. I like Mick Taylor's playing better too.

SuprHtr, mrbdxmpl, stevemc and 9 others like this.
  11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

to me, "exiles..." and "elvis: the sun sessions" are the 2 greatest rock and roll albums of all time. but "sun sessions" was not recorded as an album, originally.

i love so many great records and artists and musicians, but, here in my late years, there is nobody who appeals to me as much as Elvis Presley. his voice just contains so many shades of life, of mischief, of fun, of sheer joy. Elvis invented rock and roll transcendence on his early recordings - a simple soul seeking joy in life in song.

i do not know if i could say the same about the rolling stones. i heard their songs on the radio when i was a small child and i sort of enjoyed them, but i didn't really understand them. later on when i was a teenager, i came to love the rolling stones very much.

"exiles on main street" is where the rolling stones gathered up in one spot every kind of music they loved and just poured it out, r&b, rock and roll, country, Gospel, and blues. they thought they were just making another record and not at all realizing they were hitting a certain peak they could never touch again. in some way i can't really explain, on "exiles" the rolling stones were humble and human in a way they would never be again. they raised their banner high here, with all the feeling of an army beaten to pieces, but still slugging, humbled but not wiped out.

there is a certain "love" to exiles and a certain determination. it might be summed up best in the last song on the album: Soul Survivor. the guitar of this song foreshadows the guitar songs we would hear from Keith in the '70s - good and grindy, slamming it home, baby!

but "soul survivor" is also pretty mean spirited. the song is bragging about out lasting the Beatles and other '60s artists.

whatever one thinks about exiles, it is a mighty fine electric guitar album.

cravenmonket, Greggorios and tubegeek like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

All Down the Line and Happy too, right?
    ( I get my Stones albums mixed up!)

* I have It's Only Rock & Roll ( a real fave of mine, Exile, and Black and Blue CD's ' living' in my car

Colo Springs E likes this.
  13. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Yeah totally, that's what I meant really. There's no chart-busting commercial million-selling single. But Sweet Virginia and Torn & Frayed, Shine a Light, Tumbling Dice, Stop Breaking Down, Sweet Black Angel, etc - they're all worthy of a mixtape. I probably wouldn't put any of their "hits" on a mixtape.

I must have listened to Exile a few hundred times by now, and I still couldn't tell you what Mick is mumbling most of the time...

Edit: I have to add Loving Cup to that earlier list. Nicky Hopkins on keys - he had such a great touch. Not flashy, just so much heart.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    RodeoTex, Lawdawg, rand z and 2 others like this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just can’t turn the page on the “Taylor noodling over the entire song” Stones fast enough. Love the restraint and interplay with Ron.

They kept Taylor kinda in check on the studio albums of course.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  15. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Sticky Fingers is the best, IMO of course!

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

Sticky Fingers.

cravenmonket likes this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Exile on Main Street is fantastic like everyone says , and one of the reasons that it works, is that they keep Mick Taylor on a short leash.

Long wanky guitar solos on record ? It’s not that kind of band and it never was.

The bands and artists they idolized were not that kind either.

Live ? They gave him some room to roam...

Here’s the blasphemy that I have blasphemed many times in the past and will continue to:

all of their stellar records from that period would be just as good with Ronnie Wood on guitar.

Yeah - I said it !

18. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Torn and Frayed, Ventilator Blues, I Just Want to See His face - tracks I repeat probably a million times when I hear them in my car.

Exile is FULL of great music.

RodeoTex, rand z and Greggorios like this.
  19. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

It's #2 but it's really a tie: Exile is the band as the band, doing what they did the best, without thinking too hard about it.

It's what the Stones actually sounded like. It's almost a live album (even though it's not - sax overdubs, etc...).

Sticky Fingers
    is their best studio album (yes I know Exile was a studio album too, but I mean studio sounding album), with everything that goes along with too much time in the studio. I can hear some ego and disagreement, boredom, arguments, fracture, and too much mixing and remixing on Sticky Fingers which doesn't seem to be there on Exile.

Greggorios and gmann like this.
  20. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

As a Stones fan, I agree.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.