Exercise Equipment

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Mar 30, 2020.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I have two spare bedrooms, currently filled to (almost) overflowing with some of my mother's possessions, since she moved to senior living almost two years ago. One bedroom is so full, I'd forgotten I had a treadmill in there. Up until recently, I haven't used it, mainly because I've been getting adequate exercise in visiting her at her facility.....it has loooong hallways, and I use the three flights of stairs.....but lately I "can't" see her very often. Weather has been rainy here, and I'm just not able to get outside as I would like, so I think I'm gonna "clear a path" to the treadmill and get some needed activity. Is anyone out there using equipment (treadmill, stair-stepper, exer-cycle, etc) to occupy time? Like many of you, I'm trying to stave off cabin fever, as well as needing some aerobic exertion. What are y'all doing?

24 track, drf64 and Stubee like this.
  2. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

After we added a second story to our house, we converted our old master bedroom, into an exercise room. Treadmill, recumbent bike, walker and a Knock-off Bow-Flex. All the equipment has been an excellent place to stack boxes, hang clothes on and trip over. Joking a bit. My wife was doing rehab until all this mess, so she uses it every day now.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I have an elliptical and a treadmill in my garage, along with a weight machine and some free weights. I've used the elliptical consistently, but in recent years I've been doing my weightlifting at the gym. I'm glad the weights were still there.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

treadmill, yardwork, guitar, youtube, tdpri, cooking...

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

TRX and a few bands for strength training. Since our apartment gym is closed, I've been walking. Otherwise, I'd use an elliptical trainer and a treadmill.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

8. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I love TRX, but am afraid to use it in my house (I weigh about 260) because I don't want to be ripping out any joists!

Since we've been on lockdown, I've been trying to get three sets of 25 pushups a day in. Other than that, I've gone out and walked a couple of miles a few times, and now that the weather is getting better will try and do that at least 3x/week. However, I'm really missing being able to referee all those youth soccer games I would normally be doing on the weekends this time of year. I really don't know how to duplicate that sort of workout (i.e. great aerobic workout that doesn't feel like work!) I have a training stand for bikes, but I really have never enjoyed the act of riding without getting anywhere. I'm going to be 62 in April, so it's pretty important that I don't become a total couch potato...

kookaburra, nojazzhere and Stubee like this.
  9. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have a Schwinn Aerodyne I bought used five years ago to use in rehabbing from a unicompartmental knee implant. I also have a Bowflex I also bought used years before that to replace an ancient Joe Weider $89.95 home gym I’d worked out with for about fifteen years. And I have chin-up bars.

I loved the cheapo Weider thing but the replacement bands became scarce and pricey. I mainly used it for bench press and curls. I use the Bowflex mostly for rowing and curls. I walk a lot but in crappy MI weather I sure do like that Aerodyne and am on it right now. I have a lotta arthritis + am prone to elbow tendinitis so have to be a bit careful with curls & chinups. I also shoot a 50# recurve bow. All the stuff is done in the basement except I’ll get that bow outside soon.

I also do plain old pushups and they seem to be good in not aggravating tendons and stuff. I tore both rotator cuffs badly many years ago so do daily rubber band PT to keep that problem at bay.

I’m not much good at just sitting around...

10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Walking the heck out of my dog. He's dog tired these days.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You HAVE a treadmill. We're coming back to that.

I have a pretty good home gym. Every piece of my equipment has it's purpose. The thing I like best is the thing I hate most... Assault Bike. But the reason I hate it is because it's so good at the job it does and the harder you push it, the more difficult it becomes and the more you get back from using it.

But, you don't start out at full speed, you need to work into it slowly so you don't hurt yourself. First time you use the treadmill, just go along at a slow pace until you don't feel like doing it anymore. Record the amount of time you were on it. Does your treadmill have electronics to see your time and distance? Those are your goals. Time and distance.

Does it have an incline feature? I used the heck out of the incline on our old treadmill. Set it as high as it can go and you never have to fool with it again because it's already maxxed. I think you get more for your money when the incline is at it's highest.

Now just walk and keep walking until you've eight reached your time goal or your distance goal. Remember one minute to warm up and one minute to cool off, minimum. Record your before and after by weighing and measuring yourself and/or taking pictures. Be glad you have a treadmill.

Finally, eat right and get some sleep and prepare for weight loss, better sleep, more stamina, lower blood pressure, lower resting heart rate and better brain function.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a8e.jpg

Mike Eskimo and nojazzhere like this.
  12. nojazzhere

I REALLY miss not walking my Daisy since she passed away last year......that's really what I should do, get another dog. :(

telleutelleme, 24 track and drf64 like this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Walking outside in the fresh air. I did downhill ski 4x weekly all winter. I have a recumbent bike in the basement but I prefer to bike or walk in the fresh air.

[​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

The water here is frozen about 1/4 the year, kinda takes the fun out of it.

They make rowing machines that have water tanks on them.....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053BMWWU/?tag=tdpri-20

but I'd probably only be able to row for 5-10 min before I had to pee.....

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I got rid of my heavy weights about seven years ago in favor of using the weights at the Y. We have a 17x28 porch populated with (all entry level) tread mill, elliptical, spin bike, total gym, pull up/crunch/dip rack, lower back rack, a bench and a few dumbbells. Also a speed bag and a heavy bag. Mostly they gather dust and hunting clothes, although I have been out there a few times since the Y closed. And I have three bicycles, one for every occasion. I have no excuse not to workout. Lately, the most I've been doing, however, is to walk the three mile round trip to the main road and back...and posting here--my thumbs are in great shape!

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I have a dip stand to do dips with and some dumbells. Still sore from yesterday! I love doing dips. That and taking 3 mile walks.

Rustbucket, nojazzhere and stormsedge like this.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got this
    [​IMG]

For the longest time I joked that the most exercise I got out of it was the day I assembled it, and that was true for quite some time. It did a good job of drying laundry, and it also was a money-saving tool- if I'm not going to use a piece of equipment that is right in my home, there is no point for me to buy a gym membership o_O

Eventually I did get a good amount of use out of it, and I'm planning on incorporating it back into my daily routine, starting today, as a matter of fact

nojazzhere and stormsedge like this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've found step machines to be much better for hanging clothes from than treadmills.

Rustbucket, nojazzhere and blowtorch like this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

exercycle and 2 X20lb hand weights, but now I lift 50 lb boxes at work from 04:00 AM till 09:00 Am non stop 4 days a week

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

have gym parked right in the Living room & recording studio in bedroom. Why not..been housebound 3 1/2 years not by choice. Turned whole house into whatever it needed to be. Def get more use out of it. Actually doing things in the rooms vs just looking at them all prim & proper..just in case the Jones's come over..

projects currently in process:
    Upstairs bedroom is almost done being painted
    have 4 more ton stone to take to basement bucket by bucket. No access..restoring 1880's home with 3 ft thick original stone walls. 1 more section to concrete.
    Installing mini-split system in MBR/Studio

i never get time between Wife's medical stuff & 24 hr business...fully taking advantage of this time. It did change my early retirement..so so glad we didn't purchase last year..was going pretty big..now..what i got is just A ok !! Only battle left is where to hang all the guitars that didn't make the wall space & stands.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.